The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Revised Nikon Z lens roadmap

tcdeveau

Happy to see that 85mm on there :) Not holding my breath for it, but will glad to see it when it arrives/ships for sure.

A faster 85 is pretty much the only lens left I was waiting for, although an enthusiast/hobbyist 200-500 or 100-400 or something like would be useful for me. Need the 70-200 2.8s to get in stock at some point so I can get one too, but I'm waiting til early 2021 to order.

Mirrorless Rumors posted this today:

Haven't looked into it yet (I draft/prosecute patents for a living currently), but it would be interesting for sure if Nikon brought out such a lens. Curious to see where the system goes and what else they have up their sleeve since they made such a big deal about the Z-mount.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Surprisingly, my "bargain" 70-300 Fx P-AF lens works so well and is so light and compact, coupled with the fact it's a lens I don't use all that often, or when I do, I tend to use it at 180 or 200, it's pretty much eliminated my desire for the 70-200/2.8S -- and it's good enough at 300mm, I don't lust for the 300 PF! (Good for my wallet.) I will probably want the 200-500 when it comes out, or perhaps an S version of the 500 PF if it happens. Wider than 14 doesn't yank my crank, but I understand the attraction for others.

Ironically, I'm not even pining for the Z7ii, and am going to continue with old Z7 until perhaps we see the Z9. Interesting times for sure.

Swissblad

Mirrorless Rumors posted this today:

I agree - Nikon really needs something like this in their arsenal to clearly demonstrate the advantage of the large Z mount - to counter Sony (such as their 12-24mm lens) and effectively drive them into territory where they can't compete due to the smaller EF mount.

Image is taken from Neil van's review of the Sony 12-24mm lens:https://neilvn.com/tangents/lens-review-sony-fe-12-24mm-f28-gm-lens/

Attachments

Thorkil

I'm still delighted by my FX 70-200/4G on the Z7, and some days ago I got a 1.4TC adapter for almost nothing, and now I'm just delighted to have a super delicate and sharp tele available at 280mm, including it's wonderful bokeh and dreamy drawing. But wide open is f5.6, but at the give-away price I'll live with that, until I become rich...
But no handy tele anymore, FTZ + 1.4TC, 24cm (9½ inch) from mount to end of the filter, but stil squeeze nicely in my Tamrac shoulder bag,
I actually couldn't ask for more (well, but the upcoming 100-400S perhaps if it kindly would be an affordable f4 one, thanks...)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I probably will spring for the 200-600, but the 40 pancake is first on my shortlist.

Possibly the 105 macro when it comes out as I dislike the cluge when using my 105vr with the FTZ.

If the 24-105 is a fixed f4, and if it’s optically as good as the 24-70 through its full range, then probably that one too for travel.

Darin Marcus

If the relative sizes are accurate, the two pancakes will be really small, as they appear to be just a little larger than the collapsed Z50 kit lens. And that is very small.

Also, the length of the 105 Micro appears to be half way between the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 50 f/1.2, which means it will be quite longer than the F mount 105 f/2.8 G. Maybe they added some secret ingredients to it, which could make it very interesting...

tcdeveau

85 is definitely on my list, as well as either the 100-400 or 200-600. Just hoping the 50 1.2 ships when they say in the meantime.

Could be interested in the 40 pancake and the 105 as well but will cross that bridge at a later date.

Curious to see what they do with the bodies in 2021 as well. Never thought I’d say this but I wonder if they’ll make the bodies any bigger. I’m a little concerned about how well the current Z6/Z7 will handle with some of the newer lenses considering the size of the newer lenses.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
The 200-600 sounds potentially interesting, but I'm going to reserve my judgement since it's not an S-line lens. One of the shortcomings of the 200-500 is its lack of nanocoating, and slightly lower contrast. It'll be interesting to see if the 200-600 is a step up!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If the 28 & 40 are f2 I'll snap both up, but fear they'll be slower.
I agree, that would be awesome! But I suspect they’ll be f2.8, maybe f2.5, but unlikely f2 with the 1.8 line as it is — but then maybe?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What Nikon is doing here is very impressive. It's been only 2 years, and we're already looking at a nearly complete lineup if the "shadows" are counted. Hopefully, the effort will be reflected in great sales. I'm on the fence for full frame at the moment, but should I choose today, a Z6/7 II combo would be a very strong contender.

jdphoto

I think the Z should have started with at least f/1.4 lenses to attract those whose specifically need the extra stop, but with an 85mm f/1.2, the Z's should be fun.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I want that 28 pancake, like now... Heck, I want the 40 too, but can wait an extra week for it...

KeithL

If the 28 & 40 lenses are f/2.8 rather than my preferred f/2 then I'll sit on the fence for a year or two contemplating my navel and then decide I should have bought them when they became available. It's what I do.

On the other hand...
:unsure:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If they are at least f3.5, you'll be seeing example images from mine to confuse --or possibly embellish-- your navel contemplations ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
True confessions of a hopeless gear whore ---- I couldn't wait any longer for the Z pancake, so I went ahead and did an electronic EF to Z adapter and the Canon pancake 40. They were both used however, so there was a modicum of sanity present.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
True confessions of a hopeless gear whore ---- I couldn't wait any longer for the Z pancake, so I went ahead and did an electronic EF to Z adapter and the Canon pancake 40. They were both used however, so there was a modicum of sanity present.
I'd love to hear your opinion on it once you have it in hand!