The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock 100mm HR Digaron-S

vieri

Hey collective wisdom,

I am interested in trying the Rodenstock 100mm HR Digaron-S. Do you know where I could find one of these, preferably in Arca-Swiss mount? Apparently is discontinued by Rodenstock, but I am sure there might be some somewhere, even though here in my local (Italy) there seems to be none.

As well, any impressions / opinions from people who actually has it and uses it would be incredibly appreciated. Thank you!

Best regards,

Vieri

dchew

Hey Vieri,
I started with the 100hr-s around 2010/2011. From what I remember:
  • The image circle was bigger than stated. I swear I could shift 18mm horizontally with that lens, which would be a 98mm image circle. I will search for some old files to verify that. According to the data sheet here, it is only a 70mm IC.
  • My copy was not that good. Don't take too much from that, since I think most claim it is a very sharp lens. Mine must have had some sort of alignment issue.
  • Regardless of the issues with my copy, I don't see what you would gain from the 100hr-s that the 90hr-sw doesn't do as good or better. The 90 has a much larger image circle.
    • I suppose the 100 is f/4, which may be of some value?
    • The 100s is definitely lighter, raw lens is 370g vs 680g for the 90.
Note the Rodenstock data sheet has some errors in the f/stops quoted on the MTF graphs. I'm guessing the 100mm graphs are f/4 and f/8, while the 90mm graphs are f/5.6 and f/8.

I do have some old raw files I could make available for you if you like. They will probably all be at ~f/11.

Dave

vieri

Hey Vieri,
I started with the 100hr-s around 2010/2011. From what I remember:
  • The image circle was bigger than stated. I swear I could shift 18mm horizontally with that lens, which would be a 98mm image circle. I will search for some old files to verify that. According to the data sheet here, it is only a 70mm IC.
  • My copy was not that good. Don't take too much from that, since I think most claim it is a very sharp lens. Mine must have had some sort of alignment issue.
  • Regardless of the issues with my copy, I don't see what you would gain from the 100hr-s that the 90hr-sw doesn't do as good or better. The 90 has a much larger image circle.
    • I suppose the 100 is f/4, which may be of some value?
    • The 100s is definitely lighter, raw lens is 370g vs 680g for the 90.
Note the Rodenstock data sheet has some errors in the f/stops quoted on the MTF graphs. I'm guessing the 100mm graphs are f/4 and f/8, while the 90mm graphs are f/5.6 and f/8.

I do have some old raw files I could make available for you if you like. They will probably all be at ~f/11.

Dave
Hey Dave,

thanks for your reply and insight. My main reasons not to go with the 90mm HR-sw for the Rm3di (I have one for the XT, so I am familiar with how amazing it is) are:

- Size & weight
- In A/S mount, the 90mm needs a back spacer, whereas the 100mm only needs front spacers, making it more portable and faster / less cumbersome to use in the field

Perhaps there are Schneider alternatives too, the 90mm and 100mm should be pretty good (?) and they are much smaller and lighter than Rodies counterparts.

Best,

Vieri

Reactions: med

med

If I recall correctly, the 90mm predecessor to the current HR-SW did not require the rear spacer on the Arca R mount, only front like the 100mm. I feel like you might have more luck finding this model available.

dchew

I found a few images. Posted them on dropbox here:
Rodi 100s
Again, my copy was suspect. You can see it at the bottom of the vertical images and the left side of the horizontal image.

As for the comparison of the sk90 vs Rodi90hr-sw, I had them both for a while. I had the 90hr-sw but was very curious about how well the sk90 compared because, like you, I wanted something lighter and smaller. I went ahead and bought the sk90 then compared the two. I did a write up of them here:
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/90mm-4-5-apo-digitar.47808/post-787775

A few raw files are here along with some other images and files. See the linked post above for context:
Sk90vRodi90hrsw

Dave

rdeloe

Perhaps there are Schneider alternatives too, the 90mm and 100mm should be pretty good (?) and they are much smaller and lighter than Rodies counterparts.
I use the SK 90/4.5. I have no insight into how the SK 90/4.5 compares to Rodenstock counterpart, but if the Rodenstock is better than the Schneider-Kreuznach, then the Rodenstock must be quite something because the Schneider is superb. The Schneider is also very tiny and light, which I value.

As a side note, the optics in the APO-Digitar variant are the same as the optics in versions that come in other mounts, for a lot less money.

Edit: And while I was typing away, Dave posted a link to his previous testing!

dchew

Depending on how big of an image circle you need and how picky you are, I would say the sk90 is quite good for its size and weight. I eventually sold the Rodi 90hr-sw even though it is sharper out beyond 90mm. I've heard the sk100 is slightly better. Based on the data sheets you can find in my signature link, the MTF's look slightly better too but it is pretty marginal. The sk100 is pretty hard to find while the sk90 is still available.

Dave

diggles

The sk100 is pretty hard to find while the sk90 is still available.
@vieri There happens to be one in the buy/sell right now:

You'd have to remount it, but I bet you would dig it.

vieri

Hey guys, thank you so much for the wealth of info - Dave, you are a gold mine!

After looking at MFT charts, test images, and so on, I think the Schneider 100mm APO Digitar would probably be my best bet, in terms of size / weight / sharpness. I would only lose the near-1-stop advantage of the 90mm, which is not really relevant for me either in terms of using it wide-open (which I don't do anyway) and of focusing / composing, the IQ4 is pretty good at that even with f/5.6 lenses.

I'll be trying and finding one in A/S mount, or close enough :)

Thanks again! Best regards,

Vieri

vjbelle

Hey guys, thank you so much for the wealth of info - Dave, you are a gold mine!

After looking at MFT charts, test images, and so on, I think the Schneider 100mm APO Digitar would probably be my best bet, in terms of size / weight / sharpness. I would only lose the near-1-stop advantage of the 90mm, which is not really relevant for me either in terms of using it wide-open (which I don't do anyway) and of focusing / composing, the IQ4 is pretty good at that even with f/5.6 lenses.

I'll be trying and finding one in A/S mount, or close enough :)

Thanks again! Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri..... sent you a PM.

Victor B.