The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock 90/5.6 HR + Instax wide silhouette double exposures

onasj

Instax film is fun but image quality suffers from
1) Bad lenses in Instax cameras, and
2) Poor dynamic range in the film itself.

To address the first liability, I have over the years pieced together a Franken-Instax Wide camera from an Alpa SWA, an SWA shoulder release cable, a Rodenstock 90 HR lens with Copal shutter (so no more lens quality issues... though a bit like killing a mosquito with an orbital laser), a Mercury Instax Wide back with Graflok 2x3 front mount custom made to my flange distance specifications, a Horseman-to-Alpa adapter that mates the Graflok 2x3 mount to the Alpa, exactly 6 mm of Alpa spacer, a viewfinder from an old Polaroid 600se lens kit, and an old Leica FONOR rangefinder that covers 0.5 m to infinity. Components from Alpa, Rodenstock, Leica, Mercury, Polaroid, and Fuji—a photography nerd's dream. I'll post a photo of the camera itself in the next post.

The workflow is: guess (or measure) exposure, set aperture and shutter speed on the 90 HR, measure focusing distance using the rangefinder, set this distance on the Rodenstock lens, cock lens, pull dark slide, frame in viewfinder, release shutter, eject film. Cumbersome, but fun. The Rodenstock 90 HR lens has a huge image circle of 120 mm+, so it can cover the entire 99x62 mm Instax Wide film (117 mm diagonal). The angle of view is equivalent to a 33 mm focal length on a 35-mm camera. As one might expect, the lens greatly out resolves Instax film, which has a resolving power of only 12 lines per mm (3.5 MP per image).

I wanted to turn the second liability into a creative project by shooting silhouettes against a blown-out background (it's very easy to blow out Instax film!), then double-exposing the silhouette shadows against natural backgrounds.

Here are the results.

Instax arboreal silhouettes-small.jpg

Last edited:

Oren Grad

A delightful mash-up of the ridiculous and the sublime. :)

Seriously: I enjoy seeing interesting Instax tinkerings - thanks for sharing!

I have a Wide 300 camera on which the stock plastic lens has been replaced with a 100mm Sironar-N in helical focus mount, have been exposing a pack with that once in a while. Also have the original version of the 90mm Apo-Sironar-Digital in my lens cabinet - will try that on Instax Wide when the Lomo Graflok back for Instax Wide finally shows up - delivery is currently estimated for August.

IMG_2122cr.jpg

onasj

I believe that the use of Rodenstock 90 HR with Instax on an Alpa would be Dante approved here :ROFLMAO:
Yes, gives new meaning to the "tail wagging the dog". But the fact that the images turn out so much better than any other Instax Wide cameras (even the expensive MiNT one, which I have used) suggests if Fuji were to sell a more serious Instax Wide camera with a proper coated glass multi-element lens they could expand their following to include more enthusiasts.
And while you're at it, Fuji, please release that Instax Wide printer that the community has been eagerly awaiting!

tcdeveau

Yes, gives new meaning to the "tail wagging the dog". But the fact that the images turn out so much better than any other Instax Wide cameras (even the expensive MiNT one, which I have used) suggests if Fuji were to sell a more serious Instax Wide camera with a proper coated glass multi-element lens they could expand their following to include more enthusiasts.
And while you're at it, Fuji, please release that Instax Wide printer that the community has been eagerly awaiting!
+1

I love our instax cams and would love to see an offering with more than a toy lens....hmmm I wonder if I could set something similar up with my STC

would definitely love an instax wide printer too!!