The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rollei 150 mm lens non PQ but looks to be upgraded how do I tell?

dseelig

Rollei 150 mm lens non PQ but looks to be upgraded how do I tell? It has the more modern focus ring and has no delay in the shutter firing unlike how I remember the old lenses on the 6008 I use to own. Is there a way to know for sure?

Jan-H

It seems that there are some non-pq lenses with the more modern focus ring around. If you have a camera on hand that supports PQ functions you can of course check if the thing gives you correct open-aperture meter readings. If it does, it's PQ, if it doesn't it's a plain pre-PQ lens with a fancy focus ring (which means you get bragging rights for having a relatively rare lens ;)).

Other than that (or measuring the communication with an oscilloscope, i.e. a more roundabout but fun way of doing the same thing), I can't think of another way to know for sure.

Oh and there are also the Rolleigons/Rolleinars (can't remember what exactly they're called): those are functionally pre-PQ, but always have a focus ring that looks similar to the modern ones (but is often wider). If you have that, then you can disregard what I said above.

UlbabrabB

Some early PQ lenses had the pre-PQ barrels but upgraded focusing rings. If the camera meters correctly without stopping down, it’a definitely a PQ lens.