The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

dave.gt

Matt,

I am soooo jealous of your snow!:)

While you are enjoying the winter wonderland, we get monotonous cycles of boring cool sunny days/warmer grey days/rain and back to cooler sunny days again.

Interesting motifs are challenging so I take what I can get.

Sometimes a Cotton Candy Sky.

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
Cotton Candy Sky Inauguration Day 2021 FINAL.jpeg

fotografz

Thank you for the kind words Thomas!

Speaking of Hasselblad, when first transitioning from Hasselblad H to Leica S I adapted many HC lenses to the Leica because there were only a few S lenses available at first (S-70mm and S-180mm). The CS lenses didn't exist yet. Later I converted all S lenses to CS using Leica's conversion promotion where you paid the difference and got a new CS lens in place of the S version.

One of my favorite Wedding photographs in the early Leica-S years. A "candid" done just prior to the actual "formal shot" ... which, of course, was far better than the formal :)

Shot at Cranbrook Gardens in Bloomfield Michigan using a Leica S2 @ ISO160 and 1/500th; and an adapted Hasselblad HC: 100/2.2 @ f/6.8 ...

The subject was back-lit fairly strongly so I used a fill light and HHS with a 1/500th leaf-shutter speed to balance the background with the subject.Cranbrook Gardens-2.jpg

dave.gt

Thank you for the kind words Thomas!

Speaking of Hasselblad, when first transitioning from Hasselblad H to Leica S I adapted many HC lenses to the Leica because there were only a few S lenses available at first (S-70mm and S-180mm). The CS lenses didn't exist yet. Later I converted all S lenses to CS using Leica's conversion promotion where you paid the difference and got a new CS lens in place of the S version.

One of my favorite Wedding photographs in the early Leica-S years. A "candid" done just prior to the actual "formal shot" ... which, of course, was far better than the formal :)

Shot at Cranbrook Gardens in Bloomfield Michigan using a Leica S2 @ ISO160 and 1/500th; and an adapted Hasselblad HC: 100/2.2 @ f/6.8 ...

The subject was back-lit fairly strongly so I used a fill light and HHS with a 1/500th leaf-shutter speed to balance the background with the subject.View attachment 181543
Gorgeous! :):):)A beautiful photograph from a happier time, thanks for sharing. It is one of those images that make you smile as if fresh air has suddenly filled the room.

dave.gt

Oh, what have we here?

Spring has arrived in essence though not yet officially. Quietly the change of season is emerging, rising from the ground bringing new beginnings.

The cold wind and the wet ground made it impossible to get anything worthy of an S rendering, I will save that for another day when the temps are much warmer and my pinched nerve is not so angry!

But this rendering is how the vision before me felt. Monochrom grey foliage instead of the greens and aqua colors, not yet fully formed or adorned with the color of daffodil blooms, blowing in the cold winter wind.

The pine straw yields its protective cover to allow the emerging growth to rise from the wet ground into the sunlight above. New beginnings.

A start, with a long journey ahead to usher forth the beauty of Spring. It portends a warmer world around us and this sign of better times will disappear in a few weeks.

I await the first signs of color in the next few days! And after that, the most glorious season bursting into a crescendo of outrageous color.

How can a pandemic not be defeated when the whole universe is against it?

On a cold damp morning in the middle of February, emerging daffodils by Leica:

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
AB259DB3-F5EF-4E37-B39C-4509ECFCE4A1.jpeg

Last edited:

dave.gt

Warm weather finds curiosity piqued. Watching the street crowd from a good social distance. Pics for social sites perhaps?

Available light. Leica S (006) @ 1/4000, Summicron S-100/2 @ f/2.8.View attachment 182055
What an appropriate image of the times! Well done, and it contrasts nicely with some of HCBs images of life in the streets during his time.

I love the composition.:)

dave.gt

Ok, we are in a photographic pause around here as I have culled half of our Hybrid roses in favor of new, somewhat different varieties. Since I will be starting over, it will be interesting to see the new additions to our rose family.

I expect the pause will end around April 1, with the advent of various floral images that will present around that time.

The cool thing is, we are fully vaccinated as of yesterday so I can turn my attention to the really important things in life.:)

It is amazing how Covid 19 has dominated everything in our lives and complicated everything. So, it is now time to celebrate! With caution of course.

Oh the possibilities that lie ahead.:):):)

Spring this year is truly filled with new beginnings! Stay tuned!

dave.gt

What do you do when the garden is in disarray, and it is a cold sunny morning in February?

For some reason I walked outside in 28°F weather in my "flip flops" and jacket just to breathe the fresh morning air and enjoy the silence. I shot a few B/W frames with my old film Nikon and decided to try color. In and back out with the S...

Frost was everywhere, but I was just happy to be outdoors. No time for "art"... but enough to enjoy the moment.

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm
Split Fence by Leica S 2021 FINAL 8x8.jpeg

Last edited:

fotografz

Dave, your beautiful close-up photo reminded me to ask ... has anyone purchased/used (knows anyone who owns/uses) the breathtakingly expensive Elpro-S filter for the S-APO-Elmar-S 180/3.5 Lens?
1350393757_893166.jpg

fotografz

For a bit of "fun" ... one of a "fantasy series" done for a model's portfolio ... story telling around a studio still image from the S-(006) using Profoto strobes and layered manipulation in PhotoShop to add "aging masks" of corrupt surfaces and corrosion that I've photographed separately over time.

Give it a read if you have a minute. Old timer MF and LF film guys (like me) should get kick out of it. : -)

Leica S-(006), CS mode @ 1/1000, ISO 100; Elmarit-S 45 CS @ f/8, Profoto AIR Remote Transceiver set to "speed" (1/1000 sync).Dunn's Camera.jpg

dave.gt

For a bit of "fun" ... one of a "fantasy series" done for a model's portfolio ... story telling around a studio still image from the S-(006) using Profoto strobes and layered manipulation in PhotoShop to add "aging masks" of corrupt surfaces and corrosion that I've photographed separately over time.

Give it a read if you have a minute. Old timer MF and LF film guys (like me) should get kick out of it. : -)

Leica S-(006), CS mode @ 1/1000, ISO 100; Elmarit-S 45 CS @ f/8, Profoto AIR Remote Transceiver set to "speed" (1/1000 sync).View attachment 182264
That is cool, very interesting!!! I have yet to do any strobe work with the S. having worked a lot with the H5D-50c, I can imagine all the possibilities of creativity.:)

Well done! Thank you for sharing!!!:):)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Dave, your beautiful close-up photo reminded me to ask ... has anyone purchased/used (knows anyone who owns/uses) the breathtakingly expensive Elpro-S filter for the S-APO-Elmar-S 180/3.5 Lens?
View attachment 182263
Marc,

Guilty! I loved the Fuji 250/4 + extension tubes closeups, so I picked up a used Elpro. It is optically a good match for the S180 (which is high praise indeed).

Not a perfect shot here, but you get the idea... Wide open, hand-held. ISO 400, 1/180 sec.

I have no idea... but how expensive is it? I think it would be fantastic! :)
Hi Dave!, Fortunately, I have forgotten what I paid. ;)
Matt

Untitled by Matthew Grayson, on Flickr by Matthew Grayson, on Flickr

Best,
Matt

Last edited:

dave.gt

Marc,

Guilty! I loved the Fuji 250/4 + extension tubes closeups, so I picked up a used Elpro. It is optically a good match for the S180 (which is high praise indeed).

Not a perfect shot here, but you get the idea... Wide open, hand-held. ISO 400, 1/180 sec.

Hi Dave!, Fortunately, I have forgotten what I paid. ;)
Matt

Untitled by Matthew Grayson, on Flickr by Matthew Grayson, on Flickr

Best,
Matt
Matt, that is really gorgeous. The colors, composition and simplicity is wonderful. :)