The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

dave.gt

Children always make me smile.:)

And yet, on the other side of life, I was just reminded that Covid is still here. My friends in Sydney are back in lockdown.

I have posted this elsewhere before, but it reminds me we should all be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. We can always see beyond the dark if we just open our eyes and see, not simply look.

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
Cades Cove Dark and Stormy by Leica S FINAL 8x12 Blue FIlter November 2019.jpeg

dave.gt

Children always make me smile.:)

And yet, on the other side of life, I was just reminded that Covid is still here. My friends in Sydney are back in lockdown.

I have posted this elsewhere before, but it reminds me we should all be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. We can always see beyond the dark if we just open our eyes and see, not simply look.

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
View attachment 186115
Cades Cove Birds in Tree by Leica S FINAL GetDPI November 2019.jpeg

dave.gt

Thanks, Rob, we are preparing for our 50th Wedding Anniversary this week, on Friday evening. Unable to travel anywhere, we decided to have a garden party in the rose garden.

The roses this year are mostly new ones and while I have been shooting them as they present themselves, I am behind on processing the files. But there will be time later for that..:)

50 years... I cannot get my head around that number. It seems like a fraction of that. Actually, it seems somehow inappropriate to put a number on our lives together, because it was just meant to be and seems to have always been.

But then I find myself photographing flowers that last only a few days before dropping their petals to the ground. Their beauty is so intense and so short-lived.

I almost feel that I am called to photograph our rose blooms after they struggle through the harsh conditions of weather, insects, drought and storms. They should be remembered for their beauty in the face of diversity, and I am the only one who can/will capture at least some of their beauty to share with others.

As this summer yields to Autumn, more blooms will arrive daily, until frost steals their ability to do so. A fitting comparison to our aging process.

The pandemic has been only a little different for us than the 12 years preceding it. Isolation requires adjustments for coping and enduring. For us, our humble little rose garden has given us both memories of our first date when I gave my future bride a single red rose in a vase. Now she has a whole rose garden.

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm;
Linda%22s Garden Gate by Leica S May 2021 8x8.jpg

ropo54

Thanks, Rob, we are preparing for our 50th Wedding Anniversary this week, on Friday evening. Unable to travel anywhere, we decided to have a garden party in the rose garden.

The roses this year are mostly new ones and while I have been shooting them as they present themselves, I am behind on processing the files. But there will be time later for that..:)

50 years... I cannot get my head around that number. It seems like a fraction of that. Actually, it seems somehow inappropriate to put a number on our lives together, because it was just meant to be and seems to have always been.

But then I find myself photographing flowers that last only a few days before dropping their petals to the ground. Their beauty is so intense and so short-lived.

I almost feel that I am called to photograph our rose blooms after they struggle through the harsh conditions of weather, insects, drought and storms. They should be remembered for their beauty in the face of diversity, and I am the only one who can/will capture at least some of their beauty to share with others.

As this summer yields to Autumn, more blooms will arrive daily, until frost steals their ability to do so. A fitting comparison to our aging process.

The pandemic has been only a little different for us than the 12 years preceding it. Isolation requires adjustments for coping and enduring. For us, our humble little rose garden has given us both memories of our first date when I gave my future bride a single red rose in a vase. Now she has a whole rose garden.

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm;
View attachment 186448
Congratulations, Dave! An apt metaphor, no doubt.
Rob

lookbook

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm;
View attachment 186448
... a beautiful story about a life well lived.
Congratulations on your special day.
I wish you many more happy years in good health.

Uwe

dave.gt

... a beautiful story about a life well lived.
Congratulations on your special day.
I wish you many more happy years in good health.

Uwe
Thanks, guys, our garden party celebration concluded at 10pm last evening. It was amazing!

We literally painted the sky with lightning all around... LOL. But it never rained on us.

What could be more fitting?:):):)

lookbook

Thanks, guys, our garden party celebration concluded at 10pm last evening. It was amazing!

We literally painted the sky with lightning all around... LOL. But it never rained on us.

What could be more fitting
... special people are given special experiences! : )

dave.gt

We always have a lot of hummingbirds:), but this year I have resisted photographing them and simply enjoy watching them.

Last Summer, they gave me endless hours of joy watching their antics and they continued to visit us into November.

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
Hummingbird Landing June 27 2020 by Leica S FINAL.jpeg

Perhaps I am becoming bored, posting older images, but I need a change of latitude. As the pandemic surges back again, my dreams of making an overnight trip to the mountains have now changed. Even a daytrip is problematic.

I will go for a long walk in the morning at sunrise pretty much due East, looking for new motifs. I wonder what I shall find...

Last edited:

ropo54

Thank you, Dave.

The owner of the 1957 MB was having his vehicle photographed before going to California for auction. I couldn't resist ogling and asking to take a few snaps, as I had had my S 007 with me. A couple more photos with the S 100 below.

Your MBenz looks to be in superb condition, as well.

A few years back, I'd restored a 1987 560 SL to immaculate condition (though not high end show-worthy by any means). A weekend driver for the most part. I'd occasionally drive it to my office, but the insanity of the traffic in south Florida always made me pause. To this day I regret having sold it. It was fully capable on today's roads, though worthy mechanics became harder to find. Despite parts becoming sparser, I still toy with the idea of finding another one.

RobL1002949.jpegL1002952.jpeg

Last edited: