The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Save the Freedom of Photography

Knorp

Just a few more and we're good to go ... :thumbs:

46,869 supporters
3,131 needed to reach 50,000

V

Vivek

Restrictions on photography in public places would be like everyone starting to wear full faced veils in order not to show their faces to anyone else.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

While talking about restrictions - here's a subtle comment to a restrictive environment (in another part of the World), by the Chinese photographer Wang Qingsong

©lick for actual pixels

© • Nikon D610 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/80 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 1600 • Capture NX-D

V

Vivek

I don't know about the petitions from EU folks in general but this campaign has really struck a chord and the support has been quite good.

Steen, Thank you for posting here!:salute:

V

Vivek

BTW, I took a little ride in Chennai (India) in the new metro that just opened. About 1/3rd of the commuters have had their smart phones out and were snapping away all the time (I was the only odd guy with a camera)! Can't imagine that happening in Europe.

Barry Haines

Steen, very many thanks for the links and making members aware :)
Signed both myself and the wife + We are spreading the word about.
It looks like they will have well over 300,000 supporters by the 9th...It's getting up to 20 supports a second at times (It's taking off fast now)...Cheers Barry

biglouis

This is really important.

Even if you do not live in Europe, the generally welcoming environment for tourists wanting to take snapshots is at risk.

Admins: this is so important it should be on the front page

LouisB

turtle

I signed and think this is incredibly important. I urge everyone to share it on their Fb pages too!

Michiel Schierbeek

I signed as well. Thanks Steen! Even yesterday I was stopped by a security gard in Roubaix, France with the question:
"do you have permission to photgraph this building"
I managed to photograph it due to my charming personality :D

This is it.

Barry Haines

I signed as well. Thanks Steen! Even yesterday I was stopped by a security gard in Roubaix, France with the question:
"do you have permission to photgraph this building"
I managed to photograph it due to my charming personality :D

This is it.

Michiel, I always wondered what a charming personality looked like, now I know :ROTFL: Thanks for sharing...Cheers Barry

Edit...Just passed by the 300K petition...That's fantastic

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I'm the one to say a huge Thank You to - so far (here on GetDPI) - Bart, Vivek, Lars, Barry, Louis, Turtle, Michiel, Bob, pegelli, f6cvalkyrie, W.Utsch, and Annna T for the positive support and for spreading the word.

Thank you, gentlemen, sincerely appreciated :thumbup:

Jeffrey

With the hundreds of millions of cell phones that have cameras, do any of the authorities think for one second they can ban tourist photography? And if they think they can ban such activity, do they have the manpower to issue that many citations in one day? I don't shoot photos of embassies or government facilities. But I sure as heck am going to shoot a photo of the Eiffel Tower the next time I am in Paris whether or not it is illegal.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I think it is about publishing and commercial use of the photographs, like e.g. illustrations in a travel handbook.

So I think the point is that if you manage to catch a beautiful lighting, a tasteful composition, or a so-called decisive moment and there are public buildings or pieces of art in the scenery, then you are no longer free to publish and possibly sell such a photograph without getting permission from the architects and artists of those buildings and pieces of art in the photograph, despite the buildings and sculptures are permanently located in public space and the photograph is taken in public space.

Imagine having to acquire permissions for a panorama photo with a dozen of public buildings. It might quickly end up as an infeasible project.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

:shocked: Phew, that was close, here only ten seconds before midnight the 8 July we passed half a million supporters who have now signed the petition :thumbup:

The rule is now due to be voted on by the European Parliament in its plenary session on 9 July (i.e. tomorrow, err actually it's now five minutes into the 9th while writing this).

Thank you all for your efforts !

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Ok, so we survived the first round - thank you, all :thumbup:

“Parliament has listened to Europeans' concerns and conclusively rejected the suggestion to limit the right to freely photograph public space" - said Member of the European Parliament Julia Reda (among other things) after the vote.

"The non-binding resolution, which assesses the implementation of the key aspects of EU copyright law ahead of upcoming Commission proposal to modernise it, was passed by 445 votes to 65, with 32 abstentions."

"Next step: The Commission is to table a proposal by the end of 2015 to modernize EU copyright law to make it fit for the digital age."

Read: the full Press Release about the Plenary Session.

Click for larger size

sccreendump from European Parliament News