The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider 72 vs Rodenstock 70

Christopher

I'm finally trying to decide which one I should get. Any experiences ? It will be used with a IQ180.

So far I would say:

- Schneider is smaller and lighter
- Rodenstock might be better wide open ?
- Image circle is 100 on the Rodenstock and 90 on the 72 Schneider

Ed Cooley could you tell me, how the 72 holds up shifted ? What works with the IQ180 ? 10mm, 15mm or 20mm?

Thanks a lot for more ideas or thoughts.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm interested in hearing this myself as I have seen results from both first hand and they are both excellent lenses no question about it. In general without seeing a lot of side by sides my general gut feeling is the SK have more a look and the Rodie has more clarity. That is actually a plus for both of them as they produce right at the top. It may come down to splitting hairs. It's that close from what I have seen. I would buy either one myself. My ultimate kit would be a SK 28 and SK 120 but the 40/43 and 70/72 in both sets being a real toss up for me. I loved the 43 TS Cambo I shot last week but Jacks 40 Rodie is killer good to and same with the 70 Rodie and 72 SK it's tough to decide. I'm really on the fence with these two sets. I probaly would lean SK for the only reason that all my glass has the same look. But I think that would be the only reason. Jack went Rodie on both and I think for the same look mostly. Tough tough call

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I should add I think the MTF charts are slightly higher on the Rodie. But as I always say they are charts not images. Real world is what I care about.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Both are great lenses and I do not think there is a wrong choice. I noodled over it for a couple of weeks myself. In the end I went with the 70 because it had a slightly larger IC than the 72 and I figured it would render more similarly to my 40 HR-W. The MTF's are slightly better on the Rodie too, but it is larger, heavier and more expensive. If size and weight were my major consideration, I would get the 72; if wanted ultimate movement and IQ at the edges of the IC, the 70.

cly

Depending on the application, I'd also check/compare distortion and chromatic aberration.

Chris

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Both are great lenses and I do not think there is a wrong choice. I noodled over it for a couple of weeks myself. In the end I went with the 70 because it had a slightly larger IC than the 72 and I figured it would render more similarly to my 40 HR-W. The MTF's are slightly better on the Rodie too, but it is larger, heavier and more expensive. If size and weight were my major consideration, I would get the 72; if wanted ultimate movement and IQ at the edges of the IC, the 70.
The HR DIGARON-W 5,6/70 is 340 gramms and costs 3492 CHF (ALPA)
The SK DIGITAR 5,6/72 is 323 gramms and costs 3499 CHF (ALPA)

The figures show very small differences , which can not really be an argument for a decision for the one over the other lens .
I would rather think of the type of the lens .
The SK 5,6/72 is an almost symetrical design while the RODIE 5,6/70 is a
retrofocus design .
I think the pros and cons of the two designs are well known and were
extensively discussed in conjunction with the IQ180 back .

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
For whatever reason in Arca mount, the Rodie was about $400 more than the SK.

G

Garcia

For whatever reason in Arca mount, the Rodie was about $400 more than the SK.
Try robertwhite.co.uk. I found their prices a bit cheaper.

How about your new SK 120, Jack ? I finally ordered it but had a hard time deciding between SK120 and Rodenstock apo-sironar135.

cs750

I will not presume to speak for Ed Cooley, but my impression from talking with Ed was that he is quite happy with the Schneider 72. I recently acquired the Schneider 72 and have been pleased with the lens although I have only made a few shifted images with it. I went with the Schneider 72 largely because it was available at CI at the time, thought the lens to be good, and I did not want to be walking around with only one lens. I have not seen any flare or color casts while using the the Schneider lens. I also, have the Rodenstock 40mm lens and it is very sharp; under my shooting conditions I have had a lot of flare with the 40 mm (unless I use the compendium shade). I do not remember any instances where there was flare with the Schneider 72 even without the shade. I have not had an instance where the Schneider 72 clearly needed LCC although I do run the LCC and can see some slight improvement in the image. Charles

gazwas

I would rather think of the type of the lens .
The SK 5,6/72 is an almost symetrical design while the RODIE 5,6/70 is a
retrofocus design .
I think the pros and cons of the two designs are well known and were
extensively discussed in conjunction with the IQ180 back .
When looking at longer focal length lenses this is not so much of an issue as with the wides. The symmetrical type wide lenses have a shorter flange focal distance and put the rear of the lens closer to the chip but as the focal length increases, so does the FFD. I've not tested the 70/72 but I imagine they would offer very similar performance on the IQ180 as these measurements are very similar.

My concern would be more about the distortion and aberration differences in the two lenses rather than if they are symmetrical or retrofocus.

Christopher

For me the concern is more towards image circle quality. Distortion is so low, that it won't matter and if it really does ones out of 100 times I can still use the Alpa Tool.

dchew

It's just plain hard to weigh in on this one way or the other. Like Jack I labored over the decision and got the Rodi. But it's kinda like steak or lobster. Can't really go wrong... And I love the perspective of this focal length.

Dave

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Because of the design, the 70 Rodenstock might exhibit less lens cast than the Schneider (yes, I did get minor lens cast with this lens on an IQ180 but very minor), which may affect how far you can effectively shift as well.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Try robertwhite.co.uk. I found their prices a bit cheaper.

How about your new SK 120, Jack ? I finally ordered it but had a hard time deciding between SK120 and Rodenstock apo-sironar135.
I *LOVE* my SK 120 --- only used a few times, but it's a winner, very sharp. I considered the Rodie 135 as an alternative, and came very close to going that route -- again, I don't think there's a wrong answer.

anGy

Personnaly I did buy a Cambo WRS for wide angle lenses. This sort of Cam is the only way for best IQ in wide angle territory.
But I would be curious to compare a 72 SK or 70 Rodie with the 80mm Schneider for DF. Having just one lens for the Cambo at the moment is frustrating - but the 80 LS is already so good !...
OK it is possible to shift with a 72mm on a Cambo, and to tilt with the adapter. But on the other way a 80mm on the DF cam is easier (f.i. framing)/faster to operate.

My dealer will let me test the IQ180 and SK72 for a few days next week, so it will be a good opportunity to compare this SK72 with the 80mm LS.
If someone already did make that sort of comparison, it would be nice to know if the 80mm Schneider LS is in the same league than the 75 SK or 70 Rod (purely on the IQ side).

dchew

I'm pulling my hair out with just one lens. Freaking torture

I NEED MORE GLASS. withdraws
How many total lenses do you want to carry? I thought I would stick to three and ended up with four: 43,100,150, then added the 70. This is longer than most people want. But the point is I really missed the 70mm perspective, so now the 100 gets left behind half the time because I prefer to carry only three. For you, 35, 70/72, 120 seems like the cat's pajamas.

I'm not helping your addiction, am I?

Dave