The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider Apo Digitar 35 5.6 XL on 6x8

jodad

Hi All,
I shoot roll film on my Alpa, 6x8 specifically and no shift. I would like a 35 (preferably) or 45
Considering the particularly high cost of just mounting lenses onto an Alpa board (on top of the lens price) and also the lack of knowhow on my part to do it myself, I have resigned myself to having to just use what's already out there on the secondhand market and already mounted correctly.

I have found a Schneider Apo Digitar 35 5.6 XL. It seems that this would just cover 6x8.

Does anyone have experience of this lens on film? Ive read that its a great lens and sharp but suffers a lot of field curvature. I know this affects digital quite badly, what of film?

Also, any ideas/suggestions of other possible solutions to this dilemma of getting 35/45 lenses for film?

dchew

I don't shoot film, but I have the 35xl and can mimic the 6x8 coverage. If it helps, I could shoot four images you could evaluate.

Assuming 6x8 is really 56mm x 75mm, I would position the back vertically and do two rows, each with two images shifted L/R. Let me know if you want me to do that. Wouldn't take too long.

Dave

jodad

I don't shoot film, but I have the 35xl and can mimic the 6x8 coverage. If it helps, I could shoot four images you could evaluate.

Assuming 6x8 is really 56mm x 75mm, I would position the back vertically and do two rows, each with two images shifted L/R. Let me know if you want me to do that. Wouldn't take too long.

Dave
Hi Dave, that’s super kind, I’d really appreciate it, yes!

Massive Si

I think you'll be outside the IC with 6x8 film
maybe 6x7 just fits the 35mm but thats skimming the edge, which may not give you what you want

anyone

In my opinion, a two-stitch image with my 54x40 back, 72mmx40mm, doesn‘t look too good anymore, so I wouldn‘t put too much hope into this solution.

For film, a Grandagon 35mm may be an option?

Last edited:

med

Based on the published specs, I agree that the image circle of the S/K 35 is not enough to cover 6x8. At least you wouldn’t have the Rodenstock hard disc image circle indicator, but vignetting and softness in the corners will likely be significant.

I have had great results shooting 6x8 with the S/K 43 XL. It has a 115mm image circle which is enough to cover 6x8 and leave a little room for movements. I’ll see if I can find some scans of the negs, but unfortunately I have no way aside from memory to differentiate the 43 XL negs from the 60 XL negs....

jodad

Based on the published specs, I agree that the image circle of the S/K 35 is not enough to cover 6x8. At least you wouldn’t have the Rodenstock hard disc image circle indicator, but vignetting and softness in the corners will likely be significant.

I have had great results shooting 6x8 with the S/K 43 XL. It has a 115mm image circle which is enough to cover 6x8 and leave a little room for movements. I’ll see if I can find some scans of the negs, but unfortunately I have no way aside from memory to differentiate the 43 XL negs from the 60 XL negs....
Thank you Med, this would be helpful as well. Some softness in the corners isn’t too much of a concern for me, but then again, I don’t know how bad it would be. I was discussing this on another thread. Is your 43 the apo helvetar?

anyone

yes the grandagon or the SK38 super angulon would be perfect but I’ve been looking and no luck.
Ebay Germany has one currently that is built into a self-made pancake camera. Probably that can be reversed?

Here is the link, it already uses an Alpa HPF focussing ring:

I have no affiliation to the seller and also no knowledge about the Alpa system.

Last edited:

jodad

Ebay Germany has one currently that is built into a self-made pancake camera. Probably that can be reversed?
I’ve found a couple unmourned lenses as well but it’s more than the price of the lens for alpa to mount it and I don’t have the know how myself... adjusting the helical and all that.

med

Thank you Med, this would be helpful as well. Some softness in the corners isn’t too much of a concern for me, but then again, I don’t know how bad it would be. I was discussing this on another thread. Is your 43 the apo helvetar?
No problem. My 43 is in Arca mount, and is branded “APO-Digitar 43 XL 102o” which I am pretty sure is there same as Alpa’s APO-Helvetar.

I will post some scans tomorrow.

dchew

This isn't quite what I said I would do but I did it quickly. I have the STC with me, so I can only shift 18mm one dimension. The image is not 56x75, it is 53.4x76mm. A hair less image circle (92.9mm) than you are interested in, which based on 56x75 is 93.3mm. As others have said, it is not too good in the corners. This one is @ f/11. I took a series from f/5.6 - f/16 at 1-stop increments. Here is a dropbox link to a full tiff, a full jpeg, the smaller jpeg below and the two original raw files @ f/11. Let me know if you want raws or other f-stops. I can upload them to this folder.
sk35xl

All images were taken using the center filter and white balanced in C1. This one is stitched together in PS. I set the dpi to 266px/inch in order to approximate the sensor in "mm" when opened in PS. Just set your ruler to inches and pretend it is reading mm. If this is still of interest to you, I could repeat it with my Alpa 12+ and do a real 56x75mm image.

Dave

dchew

I could also apply LCCs if you like. I didn’t because I didn’t want to mask any light falloff. Obviously film will not have the color cast issues.
Dave

Geoff

Alpa doesn't have any more mounts for 35XL, but SK Grimes will source a helical and put it on one of their Alpa-style boards for not very much cost. Looked at the image through a 6x8 Silvestri GG on an Alpa, and it covers it just fine. Can try some digital shots with stitching if needed.

med

Ok, here are two I know that were with the 43 XL as I had a 43mm Mamiya 7 viewfinder at the time so I was shooting from the hip on this trip. Nothing special, and the negs are pretty dirty and a bit scratched, but such is life. Both were on Portra 400, shot on Arca RM3Di and Mamiya RB 68 film back. No centre filter was used.

There is perhaps a little bit of softness and/or aberrations deep into the corners but it is hard to tell. Certainly nothing I would be concerned about.Schneider43xl-1.jpgSchneider43xl-2.jpg