The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider Kreuznach 28mm LS - rear filters

Long-story short...

I just got the SK 28mm LS, and it came with the rear filters holder (small thing). I knew that this was one of the options for the LS version, but I have the Lee holders for the none-LS lens I am selling.

After a frustrating search (albeit of only 15-minutes), I cannot find any details as to the size of the filters to attach, or more importantly where to get them.

Suggestions...insight?

Thanks,

J.D. Floyd

ejpeiker

You buy sheet filters that you cut to size and then you place them in the holder which splits apart (it's hinged on one side) to allow you to place the filter and then clips together and this is then inserted into the back of the lens. Alternately there is a Lee SW150 adapter made for the lens so you can mount 150mm square/rectangular filters in the front.

Last edited:

Don Libby

What E.J. said. The idea of the rear filter just sucks as I tired it out years ago when the 28 was first released by Mamiya and years later it remains that way. Cutting the film sheets to fit was a huge PIA then add to the fact that should you decide to remove/change the "filter" (I use that term loosely) you have to remove the lens. This all stopped shortly after Lee introduced their SW150 filter system which works great. Having tried both filter solutions I'd highly recommend the Lee over the rear system. I still have an older Mamiya 28 and use the SW150 with great success.

Don bv

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
+1 to what Don said. I also have the Phase One branded 28D and I used the rear filter assembly exactly one time before deciding that this wasn't going to work practically in the field.

I also ended up with the Lee SW150 for the lens. Just FYI but the Lee kit that is branded to fit the 28D isn't a good fit since the rear flange doesn't tighten enough. I tried two kits that were definately branded for the 28D and not the LS. I know that Don did a Mcgyver to his 28D. I ended up having to use velcro dots to add some thickness to the lens mount for the SW150 ring to fit properly.

The Lee kit did seem to fit the 28LS though.

IMG_3885.JPGIMG_3884.JPGIMG_3883.JPG

Digitalcameraman

There are 2 different Lee Filter kits designed for the Phase One/Mamiya and Schneider 28mm lenses. Below are the Phase One parts # that we have only been able to get directly from Phase One. I have heard many times of folks getting the filter kits direct from Lee and them not fitting properly.

I know the last thing you want is a 150mm filter hanging over a cliff with the wind whipping at 50 MPH. We recommend the Phase One version of these for the proper fit.

The first one is for the Schneider LS (Leaf Shutter) version of this lens.

The second one is for the Phase One and Mamiya (Focal Plane) version of this lens.

73013 LEE SW150 filter kit for Schneider Kreuznach 28mm LS (Including 1 Garduated ND 0.6)
https://www.digitalback.com/product...euznach-28mm-ls-including-1-graduated-nd-0-6/

73019 LEE SW150 filter kit for Phase One/Mamiya 28mm (Including 1 Garduated ND 0.6)
https://www.digitalback.com/product...-phase-one-28mm-including-1-graduated-nd-0-6/

+1 to what Don said. I also have the Phase One branded 28D and I used the rear filter assembly exactly one time before deciding that this wasn't going to work practically in the field.

I also ended up with the Lee SW150 for the lens. Just FYI but the Lee kit that is branded to fit the 28D isn't a good fit since the rear flange doesn't tighten enough. I tried two kits that were definately branded for the 28D and not the LS. I know that Don did a Mcgyver to his 28D. I ended up having to use velcro dots to add some thickness to the lens mount for the SW150 ring to fit properly.

The Lee kit did seem to fit the 28LS though.

View attachment 123462View attachment 123463View attachment 123464

Paul2660

Just wanted to add.

Nisi also makes a filter set for 28mm LS. It holds 3 Lee or Nisi filters.

Last time I checked the Lee filters were resin at least for the ND and ND grads. Not sure if they now make a 150 x 150mm CL-PL. The Lee Stoppers are glass.

Nisi, makes an excellent set of filters, ND and CL-PL all glass, optical quality is top end. Format Hi-tech also makes a set of their Firecrest filters in the 150 x 150 size. The Nisi by it's design fits either version of the 28mm, LS or non LS, since it has an adjustable collar. Light leakage is 0 and there are no issues with reflections. Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/NiSi-Aluminu...ords=nisi+filter+holder+for+Schneider+28mm+LS

I can verify that it works fine.

As noted the Filter hood of the non LS lens is slightly different in design than the LS version, so the kits for the lens need to be specific to which lens you have.

In regards to the rear filter holder, I can't see using that as it's designed for 1 filter, mostly likely gelatin or thin material, which will have no optical quality, at least in my experience.

Paul Caldwell

Last edited:
When it comes to solutions, I am a "...cut to the chase...how much, and do you take Visa?" kind of guy. Which, unfortunately, Mamiya / Phase One related items seem not to have readily available. So, cutting to the chase, what is the real difference between the Mamiya 28D, verses the Phase One SK 28LS version? I have the Mamiya 28D Lee holder version; should I sell it, and buy the Phase One SK 28LS holder version?

Thanks,

J.D.

There are 2 different Lee Filter kits designed for the Phase One/Mamiya and Schneider 28mm lenses. Below are the Phase One parts # that we have only been able to get directly from Phase One. I have heard many times of folks getting the filter kits direct from Lee and them not fitting properly.

I know the last thing you want is a 150mm filter hanging over a cliff with the wind whipping at 50 MPH. We recommend the Phase One version of these for the proper fit.

The first one is for the Schneider LS (Leaf Shutter) version of this lens.

The second one is for the Phase One and Mamiya (Focal Plane) version of this lens.

73013 LEE SW150 filter kit for Schneider Kreuznach 28mm LS (Including 1 Garduated ND 0.6)
https://www.digitalback.com/product...euznach-28mm-ls-including-1-graduated-nd-0-6/

73019 LEE SW150 filter kit for Phase One/Mamiya 28mm (Including 1 Garduated ND 0.6)
https://www.digitalback.com/product...-phase-one-28mm-including-1-graduated-nd-0-6/

Paul2660

Not much difference if you have a good copy of the 28mm.

Of all the Schneider LS conversions of older Mamiya designs the 28mm shows the least amount of change. However supposedly there is better QA on the Schneider examples.

I can attest to this having assistance from Steve Hendricks from CI who tested 4 different lenses for me and the best was a slightly used LS version.

Older versions might also have a bit more CA. Currently the C1 correction for CA and or fringing is not the best IMO. I tend to import to LR as it seems to have a better correction for this lens.

Paul Caldwell

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Last time I checked the Lee filters were resin at least for the ND and ND grads. Not sure if they now make a 150 x 150mm CL-PL. The Lee Stoppers are glass.
CL-PL is glass & square like the Lee Stoppers. I actually don't use the resin split ND with these kits, just the glass filters. For the CL-PL you have to rotate the entire assembly to change polarization which obviously is problematic if you are using an ND grad. I have no light leakage with the Lee kit.

Nisi, makes an excellent set of filters, ND and CL-PL all glass, optical quality is top end. Format Hi-tech also makes a set of their Firecrest filters in the 150 x 150 size.
Hmm, Firecrest NDs for 150x150. Definitely the preferred filters IMHO. Hopefully they are tougher than the Lee CL-PL filters which can crack easily even in their tin case which at $250 a pop doesn't make for a good day.

When it comes to solutions, I am a "...cut to the chase...how much, and do you take Visa?" kind of guy. Which, unfortunately, Mamiya / Phase One related items seem not to have readily available. So, cutting to the chase, what is the real difference between the Mamiya 28D, verses the Phase One SK 28LS version? I have the Mamiya 28D Lee holder version; should I sell it, and buy the Phase One SK 28LS holder version?

Thanks,

J.D.
I assume that you are asking about the Lee filter holder kits vs the lenses?

For the kits, the only difference is the length and shape of the fixed lens hood, which in turn affects the distance that the rear retains ring screws on to the front plate that locks on to the petals of the front of the hood. The length of the LS hood is slightly longer than the D version.

I can only surmise that LEE / Phase One had a quality control issue with the 28D kits (#73019). The two I tried hit the end of the threads before fully locking on the front ring (hence my velcro dot solution to add the maybe 1mm or so of padding so the rings locked tight, but also protected the lens hood from metal on metal potential scratching). I had my buddy John Milich double check everything and we came to the same conclusion.

Anyhoo ... my workaround works fine. I wish that I didn't have to do it for a nearly $500 filter kit and hopefully LEE / Phase One sorted it out for later kits (mine was in Feb 2016).

Last edited:

Digitalcameraman

Why, does your not fit properly?

I have sold these to customers and the ones I sell for each lens works fine. If they have the 28D I sell them the one for the 28D, if the have the LS, I sell them the one for the LS.

Thanks,

J.D.

Paul2660

Graham,

The Hi-tech's seem to be pretty scratch resistant. The Nisi CL-PL I have also has done well over the past 1.5 years of use. I hate handling these filters as it's easy enough to drop one. But they do a nice job with no noticeable color casting.

For carrying I switched to the Lee soft pouch, that hold 10 filters. This allows you to carry all the filters in one place no hard cases and the Lee holder has held up well.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1085737-REG/lee_filters_fldpn_field_pouch_sand.html

Paul Caldwell

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Hmm, Firecrest NDs for 150x150. Definitely the preferred filters IMHO. Hopefully they are tougher than the Lee CL-PL filters which can crack easily even in their tin case which at $250 a pop doesn't make for a good day.
I just lived that exact situation. I am in Monument Valley and I had on my 150mm polarizer and bumped it and hear a pop. When I looked, it had spider web cracks along one corner.

Time to replace it with a Nisi polarizer