The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider Super-Digitar 28XL

Pemihan

Can someone confirm that the front cap for the Schneider Super-Digitar 28XL is a big thick metal cap? Maybe share a pic or two of if inside and outside.

Thanks
Peter

greygrad

You mean the lens cap ? If so, then no, the ones supplied with mine were the usual thick, black plastic, push-on style S/K ones.

Paul Spinnler

The cap depends on whether it has the SK filter holder ring attached to it. I have only seen it on the Alpa version though. The Alpa version is the most rare globally.

There were 50 produced, of which I know of one destroyed, at least, but maybe more. So maybe 45 in existence still globally.

Cambo made more - there's the anniversary edition and a black border version and probably also some which were mounted after having been bought.

If you buy an SK28 XL today, one cannot mount them in Alpa mount anymore as the parts required for it aren't available anymore. Custom helicoid and mount.

So the cap may depend on which version you look at. My Alpa version has a plastic cap and fits right on the special filter holder ring.

Paul Spinnler

This is the SK28XL with filter ring. It is specifically made for the Alpa variant, I think, and it allows you to use for example a red filter for achromatic photography without vignetting ... the filter holder is calculated to not obstruct the FoV, so unique to this lens. It uses a plastic cap. The metal cap could exist in case you don't have a filter ring and the lens element needs to be protected.

The Alpa variant also has a HPF ring which is custom made to give it more grip when turning. Crazy that only 50 were made.

It is to my knowledge the rarest Alpa lens with the Biogon 38. It is museal in its rarity.

I might post a review these days, need to find time. It is incredibly sharp in the centre and sharp to the edges. An optical marvel and the final masterpiece of SK. Baiscally SK did this one tipped its hat and said goodbye. After many millions of lenses.

Let's put this in perspective: Canon celebrated its 150 millionth lens in 2021 (EF and RF, ie there are more) ...

1678958691228.jpeg

Last edited:

4x5Australian

The metal cap was issued with early production units of the 28XL. Later 28XL units were supplied with regular plastic caps.

That's my understanding from three units I've owned of the 28XL and from photos of others posted online that I saved.

The metal cap shown below was issued with an early serial number 28XL. It's a handsome product and feels luxurious in the hand.

The rear half of the rear edge is 2.5mm thick, and, unusually, rotates easily against the front part.

The 112mm filter adapter ring was also available for the Cambo-mounted units.

Attachments

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

The metal cap was issued with early production units of the 28XL. Later 28XL units were supplied with regular plastic caps.

That's my understanding from three units I've owned of the 28XL and from photos of others posted online that I saved.

The metal cap shown below was issued with an early serial number 28XL. It's a handsome product and feels luxurious in the hand.

The rear part of the rear edge is 2.5mm thick, and, unusually, rotates easily against the front part.

The 112mm filter ring that Paul showed was also available for the Cambo-mounted units.
I am sorry there's a different filter ring which was not available on the Cambo units, I think. I need to find it, it is stored somewhere in the original SK box as I never use this lens with it. May need to retrieve it and make pictures of how the whole set looks like.

greygrad

Mine is the Alpa version too; it features an outer thread on the front allowing you to either i) attach the blank ring with no filter thread, ii) attach the Alpa M95 x 1 filter adapter, iii) attach the Alpa M112 x 1.5 filter adapter, or iv) attach the Alpa (S/K) centre filter. BTW, the latter came with the standard black plastic S/K lens cap.

Paul Spinnler

Mine is the Alpa version too; it features an outer thread on the front allowing you to either i) attach the blank ring with no filter thread, ii) attach the Alpa M95 x 1 filter adapter, iii) attach the Alpa M112 x 1.5 filter adapter, or iv) attach the Alpa (S/K) centre filter. BTW, the latter came with the standard black plastic S/K lens cap.
I need to digest this – haha, I have all these adapters but not a manual. Nice to meet one of the other 48 people in the world who have one!

Ben730

Paul, here is a snip I saved containing an explanation of the adapter rings you have for the 28XL.

The snip is from a long thread in February 2012, now deleted, in which Guy Mancuso copies an explanation he received from Cambo.

View attachment 201838

Hope this helps.

Rod
This was a very good thread. I think I also postet some comments at the end of the thread.
The Rodie and the Schneider performed in the tests almost similar.
Only the center filter of the Schneider is very prone to internal reflections.
It was so bad, I stopped using it and sold the 28 XL. The Rodenstock CFs play in another league....
But those tests where with a P65+.
Maybe with the IQ4150 there is no need for the CF.