The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SD Cards and speed as recorded by the 907X

spb

Staff member
The 907X in Storage option shows a faster rate for the 16GB and 32 GB cards then the 64GB cards.
98 mb/s for the 64GB
108 mb/s for 32 GB
117 mb/s for 16GB

Does this seem in order to you OK ? I was expecting the 64GB cards to be faster!

Attachments

Vilpo

I would be pleased to see correlation between advertised write speed and user tests.
On Sony 64GB it says W:100MB/s which is pretty close to your results. With Sony 32GB and 299MB/s even there is an asterisk, I would check for the reason, maybe some specifications do not match requirements.

• Thanks
Reactions: spb

spb

Staff member
I would be pleased to see correlation between advertised write speed and user tests.
On Sony 64GB it says W:100MB/s which is pretty close to your results. With Sony 32GB and 299MB/s even there is an asterisk, I would check for the reason, maybe some specifications do not match requirements.
I shall do some more tests with different cards and see what the 907X reports as their average speed. I would like to see the read/write mb/s written on cards.

PSS

How do people like the angelbird SD cards? Just ordered more sony (300/300) tough cards but they are 128 max and out of stock right now....
Angelbird has 256, speed should be pretty much the same, i am not too worried about “toughness” the idea is to pretty much never take them out anyway....which is why i am looking at 256, a matched pair, one for back up.....
which brings me to another question...they do sell matched pairs, for different cameras? Are they different? Or just formatted in a different way?

spb

Staff member
Well I used Angelbird with Fuji GFX and can report no issues also doing bursts of images. Never a writing speed issue. I have been using them for 2 years. I hear lots of people don't like Lexar but again with Fuji cameras no issues. I usually bought cards in two's of same capacity.

hcubell

How do people like the angelbird SD cards? Just ordered more sony (300/300) tough cards but they are 128 max and out of stock right now....
Angelbird has 256, speed should be pretty much the same, i am not too worried about “toughness” the idea is to pretty much never take them out anyway....which is why i am looking at 256, a matched pair, one for back up.....
which brings me to another question...they do sell matched pairs, for different cameras? Are they different? Or just formatted in a different way?
I vaguely recall that there was an issue with the Sony Tough Cards in the X1DII and GH was not recommending them, but not sure if that's still the case.

PSS

Years ago i only used Lexar but after too many issues i stopped, mostly using SanDisk and Sony cards now, that is what i usually recommend and neither I nor anyone I know has ever had issues with either.....
there was a Sony recall on some tough cards, seems to be resolved.....probably why there aren’t any available right now....i am using Sony and Sony tough cards in the X1DII and the 907combo now, no problems...
I would prefer the larger 256 capacity without giving up top R/W speeds, so Angelbird seems to be the only choice?
It also helps that they are a small Austrian company that does seem to hold up well in a very competitive field....so i would like to support them, plus i am Austrian, so there is that as well.....

hcubell

FYI, from the Hasselblad Manual for the 907X:
"For optimal performance, use the following SD memory card type: ● UHS-II, 260MB/s or faster. Note! Avoid using Micro SD/TF memory cards with SD card sets. Some Sony high-speed G UHS-II SD 300MB/s memory cards might have poor compatibility, and therefore, might not be able to write image data properly."
I bought one of those 126GB Sony SD cards right before someone pointed me to that statement in the manual for the X1DII. I do not recall ever having any issues with it. H may just have never updated the manual following the recall.

PSS

Well i need cards soon, BH wont have the Sonys before middle of November, they do have a set of Angelbird 256 V90, so i ordered those....not a cheap solution but i do want the extra capacity anyway....will report here if there is an issue...
all the top of the line SD these days are built for 10bit 4K video which should be a little more taxing then shooting the Hasselblad on continuous, i did read the manual and i doubt it ever was updated, Angelbird does list Hasselblad specifically.....I am sure it will be fine....

Godfrey

At one time several months ago I did a test of a dozen cards of several different types that I had in my gear cabinet, some as much as a dozen years old, from 16G to 128G. While there were differences in the total number of exposures that the different speeds/brands/capacities could accumulate when left on continuous for 20 seconds (it varied from 13 to 23), all of them worked just fine for still capture work.

I didn't test video capture. I have not yet done anything more than making a ten second test when video capture was enabled a couple of firmware revisions ago. I can't see why I'd use the 907x for video capture when my Panasonic GX9 does such a good job of it, never mind my iPhone 11 Pro ... :D

But for my purposes, I haven't found any cards in my existing collection that change the use of the 907x for my purposes. All work, all do the kinds of still photography I do perfectly well, none of them have any significant issues that I've seen. I mostly keep the Lexar Pro 1667x UHS III card that the camera came with in the slot, and I have only once filled it in a session.

G

• Thanks
Reactions: spb

spb

Staff member
G

I do agree entirely on video! Your two ways of doing video are just fine.