The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Separate CFV II 50c and 907X

nathantw

If I am allowed to dream :eek: Here's a small simple follow-on product: Metabones make a XCD mount to V mount Speedbooster adapter. With that and the 907x and CFV-50C II, you have a "full frame" 645 camera using V lens ~_o

Or, since I am dreaming: Hasselblad creates a 909Vx based on the 907x with a speedbooster-type converter built-in and takes the V lens natively...
Sorry but I’m not following your line of thinking. Hasselblad already makes an xv-lens mount adapter and it should have a coverage of 6x6, Hasselblad CP.HB.00000241.01.

Last edited:

Godfrey

If I am allowed to dream :eek: Here's a small simple follow-on product: Metabones make a XCD mount to V mount Speedbooster adapter. With that and the 907x and CFV-50C II, you have a "full frame" 645 camera using V lens ~_o

Or, since I am dreaming: Hasselblad creates a 909Vx based on the 907x with a speedbooster-type converter built-in and takes the V lens natively...
Sorry but I’m not following your line of thinking. Hasselblad already makes an xv-lens mount adapter and it should have a coverage of 6x6, Hasselblad CP.HB.00000241.01.
I think Richard is suggesting a Speedbooster adapter to preserve the 'native' FOV of V system lenses on the 33x44 mm format sensor, and the '909Vx' allowing one to use the lens shutter instead of the CFVII 50c electronic shutter.

The latter could be done with a more sophisticated mount adapter that allowed the body to trigger the V lens shutter, but I think one of those was made for the H system and it doesn't sell all that well ... such an adapter has to be pretty expensive to make given its complexity.

The Speedbooster type adapter, at least for me, is a non-issue since my existing Hasselblad V system lenses all work fine on the 33x44 sensor ... just jump one focal length down the range to get the same FoV ... and for what doesn't exist in V system lenses on the wide end of the range, I'd buy an XCD lens to fill that gap. (Which is basically what I've done... :))

G

pflower

Interesting pricing if that is correct.

The standard edition plus the 907x is only about £500 less than the special edition (with UK VAT £600) £4,500 for the back plus £800 for the 907x - both plus 20% VAT as compared to £5825 plus VAT for the special edition. From what I remember the special edition X1D was quite significantly more expensive than the standard edition.

In the current financial climate I don't think I can justify either but still if the standard edition is not going to ship until October those who might consider the special edition as being a premium worth paying.

From my inbox yesterday morning:

--

I think it is a great idea to offer them seperate, and why should they not?
I own the CFV-50c and have used it with: 501cm, ALPA SWA, Max & TC, Linhof 3000, Cambo Wide 65 and a Sinar Norma.
Will I buy this time around? Probably not since my 50c does a great job, but if I needed to upgrade I would.

richardman

Godfrey got half of it. Yes, in my dream setup, this would allow full (6:45) use of the V lens image circle on the crop sensor, and this is why it's more appealing to me than just the 907x as the 907x is 1.3x crop.

As for the leaf shutters, it's OK *for me* to only support the F lenses :) so for the non-F lens, electronic shutter is fine with me.

The thing is that this is not much more difficult than the 907x. Literally the easiest is a speedbooster-style lens element, plus a XD mount.... Heck, maybe I will write to Metabones...

Godfrey

Godfrey got half of it. Yes, in my dream setup, this would allow full (6:45) use of the V lens image circle on the crop sensor, and this is why it's more appealing to me than just the 907x as the 907x is 1.3x crop.

As for the leaf shutters, it's OK *for me* to only support the F lenses :) so for the non-F lens, electronic shutter is fine with me.

The thing is that this is not much more difficult than the 907x. Literally the easiest is a speedbooster-style lens element, plus a XD mount.... Heck, maybe I will write to Metabones...
The thing I don't understand, then, is what the purpose of a 909Vx body might be. It won't add anything to build in a V system lens mount, it actually detracts because it has to make the camera larger and you lose access to XCD and H system lenses. If you only use V system lenses, just leave the adapter in place (or the Speedbooster that someone else makes). That's how I use my Leica CL ... I never take the M Adapter L off the body. :)

G

richardman

The thing I don't understand, then, is what the purpose of a 909Vx body might be. It won't add anything to build in a V system lens mount, it actually detracts because it has to make the camera larger and you lose access to XCD and H system lenses. If you only use V system lenses, just leave the adapter in place (or the Speedbooster that someone else makes). That's how I use my Leica CL ... I never take the M Adapter L off the body. :)

G
Right, as I said, either Metabones makes a XCD->V Speedbooster, or Hassy can make a "909Vx". Either way, it's a method for the few V lens users left ;-) to have full use of the V lens in a Hassy camera.

nathantw

Right, as I said, either Metabones makes a XCD->V Speedbooster, or Hassy can make a "909Vx". Either way, it's a method for the few V lens users left ;-) to have full use of the V lens in a Hassy camera.
Why not just use a 200- or 500-series camera then? It has full compatibility and no extra money since you already own it. :rolleyes:

I'm obviously excited about the digital back and maybe the 907X and still want the black commemorative set, but for the price I can literally buy a X1D and a 45p. For a little more money I can also get an XV-adapter as well. It just kinda feels like if we want a digital camera, then we should just buy a digital camera. Truthfully I purchased a Phase One P25 back a few years ago as an addition to my film backs. At first I was shooting both at the same time, but as time went on I realized I was shooting more with the digital back exclusively. In fact, I just put new Hasselblad light seals in my film back a couple weeks ago and shot with film as a test of the light seal for the first time in about a year. So, for me at least, I've realized that maybe the CFV/907x isn't the way I should be going. Anyway, something to think about.

And this is a good reason why Hasselblad should have come out with the CFV and 907x separately over a year ago. I would have just picked it up back then instead of having over a year to think about whether to purchase it or not. ;)

Last edited:

Godfrey

My motivations and goals for buying the 907x, aside from the fact of the special edition being a commemorative piece honoring the Apollo 11 Landing event, seem a bit different from just "wanting to buy a digital camera."

The 907x/CVFII 50c revitalizes my Hasselblad 500CM kit with a full digital workflow, using the back alone, at the same time that it gives me access to the X, V, and H system lenses on the 907x. I prefer the 907x over the X1D model line because it is primarily a waist level/tripod camera rather than a camera oriented primarily for eye-level work ... similar to why I love shooting with the 500CM so much. The 907x/CFVII 50c also continues the modular tradition of the Hasselblad V system cameras, something that I've been delighted by for decades.

When Hasselblad announced the 907x Special Edition, I didn't have to think about it or wonder if it was a fit. I knew immediately that this was what I'd been waiting for and placed an order immediately. For me, an X1DII is not a potential additional body for the future, if I find that I want/need more of an eye-level camera with the same sensor dynamics that can use the same lenses.

Should Hasselblad have come out with the two parts of this kit separately over a year ago? That's a value judgment that I cannot make ... I'd certainly have enjoyed getting the kit earlier than I did, but I don't know what business and manufacturing challenges Hasselblad has been striving to overcome well enough to make that judgement. I know that it would not have changed much for me and my purchase decision. I'm just glad they decided to come out with this kit at all. The 907x body provides a way forwards into the modern lens line, past the V system but with a lot of the same feel and ergonomics.

:)

Regards the Speedbooster adapter that Richard would like, well, in some ways it would be nice. These devices are never lossless, though, so if someone produces one I'd have to evaluate it with some care. But my lens kit just happens to be equally functional on both 6x6 film and 33x33 (cropped) sensor by just dropping down one focal length in the range, and supplementing it with an additional, wider focal length in XCD mount. That works well enough for me, too.

G

nathantw

My motivations and goals for buying the 907x, aside from the fact of the special edition being a commemorative piece honoring the Apollo 11 Landing event, seem a bit different from just "wanting to buy a digital camera."
I can understand that. I just purchased some Apollo 11 stamps from the US Postal Service. They're awesome with reflective silver being used. I don't think I'll ever use those. I also have a commemorative Limited Edition Zippo lighter. I wear an Omega Speedmaster Professional because of the moon landings and finally, I also use the 553ELX camera with the astronaut shutter release plate because they used that on the moon. I'd love to have the 907x/CFV II, but if the lettering and the commemorative moon landing plate ends up being $900 more than the regular version, then I'll probably pass.

docholliday

I can understand that. I just purchased some Apollo 11 stamps from the US Postal Service. They're awesome with reflective silver being used. I don't think I'll ever use those. I also have a commemorative Limited Edition Zippo lighter. I wear an Omega Speedmaster Professional because of the moon landings and finally, I also use the 553ELX camera with the astronaut shutter release plate because they used that on the moon. I'd love to have the 907x/CFV II, but if the lettering and the commemorative moon landing plate ends up being $900 more than the regular version, then I'll probably pass.
I have some NASA lunar HB stuff, but the one thing that I really, really want... the 203S, the very last V Hasselblad in space. Basically it's a 203FE with the Winder CW, extended finder, and modified 70mm computerized recording back. Replace the EDB with a CFV II and it would be sweet!

s107e05060big.jpg

NRKStudio

Hassy USA has them shipping mid July. Just got confirmation. Just FYI

— from a brand new Hasselblad convert (500cm)

Interesting pricing if that is correct.

The standard edition plus the 907x is only about £500 less than the special edition (with UK VAT £600) £4,500 for the back plus £800 for the 907x - both plus 20% VAT as compared to £5825 plus VAT for the special edition. From what I remember the special edition X1D was quite significantly more expensive than the standard edition.

In the current financial climate I don't think I can justify either but still if the standard edition is not going to ship until October those who might consider the special edition as being a premium worth paying.

nathantw

I have some NASA lunar HB stuff, but the one thing that I really, really want... the 203S, the very last V Hasselblad in space. Basically it's a 203FE with the Winder CW, extended finder, and modified 70mm computerized recording back. Replace the EDB with a CFV II and it would be sweet!

View attachment 150005
That looks like you can use a regular 203FE with the winder and finder. It sounds like you're probably already there. You just need the CFV II. Oh, if you really want to be authentic though, you'll need the 2nd Gen Omega Speedmaster X-33. I have that as well.

docholliday

That looks like you can use a regular 203FE with the winder and finder. It sounds like you're probably already there. You just need the CFV II. Oh, if you really want to be authentic though, you'll need the 2nd Gen Omega Speedmaster X-33. I have that as well.
The big difference is that the 203FE uses the F winder and the 203S has a custom built CW winder. There's also the blocked and shoe'd finder for the S. The Smithsonian has one on display: https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/camera-hasselblad-203s-70mm-shuttle/nasm_A20080088000 The one thing about the EDB is that it synced to the shuttle computers so it knew exactly where it's position was. Now that's a real GPS unit!

To be really authentic, I'd also need the camera assembly weighing next to zero and all the benefits of shooting it in zero G.

richardman

To be really authentic, I'd also need the camera assembly weighing next to zero and all the benefits of shooting it in zero G.
To be really authentic, you need to get a working Space Shuttle :grin: Apparently you can either mod a 203FE body or a CW Winder to fit, instructions are on the web and does not appear to be too difficult

Godfrey

To be really authentic, you need to get a working Space Shuttle :grin: Apparently you can either mod a 203FE body or a CW Winder to fit, instructions are on the web and does not appear to be too difficult
ah, the camera is not cheap, but the accessories...!! :D

G

docholliday

There are instructions, but it's just not the same...I want that dirty, cooped up in recirculated air and zero-g'd smell with mine!