The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sharpest paper?

jng

I've been printing on Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta (using a Canon printer) for most all of my finish prints. The end result is quite sharp although I don't know how it might compare with other papers in this domain. The paper's surface has a nice glossy sheen that feels natural and not plasticky.

John

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I also am a fan of the Baryta papers, and expect the glossy versions will be "sharpest." But I too prefer the look from the photo rag versions.

Shashin

The sharpest glossy papers are the cheap, shiny glossy finish. A paper with a texture will be softer. The problem with the high gloss finish is it becomes like a mirror, especially in the shadows. However, like folks above, there are much better papers. The loss of sharpness is not really perceptible, but the increase in richness is. I guess another vote for the Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta in glossy.

I am not sure paper manufacturers do this any more, but getting a sample pack can be good to find out what you like in a paper. The surface not only changes sharpness, but also saturation and contrast. You can then simply print an image of different stocks to see how the dynamic of the image changes.

Godfrey

For glossy surface and high detail, I've used the Epson Exhibition Fiber paper. I don't know how it compares to the other glossy papers because I've been satisfied with what it renders like and haven't tried others. I don't print glossy surface very often, only when I feel the subject matter is apropos for this kind of rendering.

G

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks to all for your input. I have been using Epson Premium Luster but I have a project that needs truly glossy paper. I shall certainly look into the Baryta options.

Charles2

Yup, Canson Platine will give you sharp. But you can get sharpness on many papers with good post-processing. Try a combination, first sharpening by RL Deconvolution in Raw Therapee, then regular Unsharp Mask in just about any post processing program. At the Unsharp Mask step, push until you begin to see halos on the monitor; at that point they will not show in the print.

tsjanik

Thanks to all for your input. I have been using Epson Premium Luster but I have a project that needs truly glossy paper. I shall certainly look into the Baryta options.
Bill, I'm a little late to this thread, but if you still need a suggestion: I love the baryta papers, but as far as I know they all have a surface texture. Pictorico Hi-gloss white film is the sharpest, glossy paper I have experience with. Absolutely flat with no surface texture and very saturated colors. It is about as close to Cibachrome as any inkjet can hope to be.
Tom

doccdiamond

For glossy surface and high detail, I've used the Epson Exhibition Fiber paper. I don't know how it compares to the other glossy papers because I've been satisfied with what it renders like and haven't tried others. I don't print glossy surface very often, only when I feel the subject matter is apropos for this kind of rendering.

G
I tested many papers but fully agree regarding the Epson Exhibition Fiber (Epson Traditional in Europe). I use it after testing of dozens of papers as my standard. For Matt I recommend Canson Rag Photographique II.
Regarding sharpness it depends very much on the printing technique. If you use e.g. the Piezography Pro system for B/W you get finer resolution (and sharpness), but the difference is only visible with a magnifier.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I dunno about sharpest. I’m happiest with the Hahnemühle Fine Art Baryta. Boring, I know…

sj2w1

The only gloss paper I use is Moab Slickrock, I like how colors pop and details print well on it. I run an IPF 6400. B/W results have been more hit & miss, enough that I avoid it and use cotton rag matte papers. I'm trying Hahnemühle's photo Luster hoping to find a versatile paper for both B/W and color, though the color gamut is a bit narrower than Slickrock. My biggest gripe with Slickrock is that the print is easily scratched and damaged, hence the search for a more robust versatile paper that can still give colors a pop.

scho

If you can control lighting and reflections then super high gloss metallic papers are about as sharp as you can get on any paper.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
You should ask this question at Luminous Landscape and Photo XL forums . I want the best all around paper for printing 13x19 black and white . I grew up in darkroom literally and my father sold DuPont Velour Black ...so I am very familiar with air dried F papers . I prefer the Epson papers only because I let the Epson print determine the profile . I have made my own profiles in the past but I don t print enough to go thru that again .

The key learning I picked up on the Baryta papers is they really don t make them anymore . The small European business that made the coatings for EVERYBODY went out of business during the pandemic slowdown. Hahnemuhle s Bayta is a different coating from the others and is still available . Those seeking the original Baryta have not been happy and supply is exhausted .