The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show us your Tech Cam

fmueller

My new PhaseOne XT, IQ4 150 Mp with the Rodenstock 23, 32, 50 and 90mm lenses :)

Happy to be back shooting tech cameras after 8 years since I sold my Linhof Techno! Have a great weekend, best regards

Vieri
In for a penny, in for a pound.

So, have you ever heard of this guy named Dante? 👍🏼

dchew

I'm getting ready for a short backpacking excursion in Southern Ohio; just a few days over the weekend. Shakedown for a new tent and to give the RRS Ascent a try in the woods. As usual, I go down ratholes weighing things. When I rechecked my STC, I realized it just had its twelfth birthday. Do cameras have dog years? I hope not. But it is getting some noticeable "patina." Oh how I love this thing.

Dave

Paul Spinnler

I'm getting ready for a short backpacking excursion in Southern Ohio; just a few days over the weekend. Shakedown for a new tent and to give the RRS Ascent a try in the woods. As usual, I go down ratholes weighing things. When I rechecked my STC, I realized it just had its twelfth birthday. Do cameras have dog years? I hope not. But it is getting some noticeable "patina." Oh how I love this thing.

Dave

Dave, I see you are not using Alpa’s release plates; your solution looks more compact. Are shift movements restrained in any way?

dchew

Dave, I see you are not using Alpa’s release plates; your solution looks more compact. Are shift movements restrained in any way?
I don't use them precisely because these RRS plates are smaller and lighter and there are no restrictions on movements as long as you are ok orienting the camera grip-side down when performing rise/fall. See the pic below for how I orient for rise/fall.

I never understood the reason for those extended release plates and/or the stitching adapter for the STC. I do understand it for the 12+ and other cameras because it keeps the lens from moving during rise/fall. But that is not an issue with the STC.

Notice I don't use the grip either for the same weight/bulk reasons. I have the strap I just slide my fingers into for rotating, mounting and carrying. That works better than the grip because when the STC is oriented this way the grip is kind of useless. If you want something mounted on the "top" of the camera (where I have the wrist strap), this won't work as well.

It's not as pretty without the grip either. :rolleyes:

Dave

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

I don't use them precisely because these RRS plates are smaller and lighter and there are no restrictions on movements as long as you are ok orienting the camera grip-side down when performing rise/fall. See the pic below for how I orient for rise/fall.

I never understood the reason for those extended release plates and/or the stitching adapter for the STC. I do understand it for the 12+ and other cameras because it keeps the lens from moving during rise/fall. But that is not an issue with the STC.

Notice I don't use the grip either for the same weight/bulk reasons. I have the strap I just slide my fingers into for rotating, mounting and carrying. That works better than the grip because when the STC is oriented this way the grip is kind of useless. If you want something mounted on the "top" of the camera (where I have the wrist strap), this won't work as well.

It's not as pretty without the grip either. :rolleyes:

Dave

The extended release plate is needed so that the back plate of the STC can shift fully downwards 18mm; is the RRS plate on the backside of the STC not in the way of this movement?

Not sure I understand how you get the full range of movements?

dchew

The extended release plate is needed so that the back plate of the STC can shift fully downwards 18mm; is the RRS plate on the backside of the STC not in the way of this movement?

Not sure I understand how you get the full range of movements?
That's what I mean by having the grip-side down, mounted to the tripod. It eliminates any restrictions. Here is the back side; should have posted this before. Centered, back shifted down, back shifted up. When oriented this way, the "down" shift just moves into that part of the camera. When shifting "up" it just sticks up into the air.

Dave

Paul Spinnler

That's what I mean by having the grip-side down, mounted to the tripod. It eliminates any restrictions. Here is the back side; should have posted this before. Centered, back shifted down, back shifted up. When oriented this way, the "down" shift just moves into that part of the camera. When shifting "up" it just sticks up into the air.

Dave

Now I get it! Yes, I bought the STC with the wooden grip directly so it never occurred to me to put a tripod plate there - I think conceptually they could have engineered it to have the grip on the other side, but the hand strap solves it nicely. Do the plates from RRS also have multiple pins so you can make sure they do not move and stay in place?

That makes the camera more compact!

dchew

The plate will fit even with the wooden grip in place. There are no pins but it does have a lip on the back that keeps it from rotating.
Dave

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Trevor
It is a JJC metal shade mounted on a stepup ring . I can't give the exact partnumbers today , as the camera stands on a tripod in an other appartement and I will not be there before tomorrow .

kdphotography

Dave

"That's some Pig." 🐷