The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 Merrill Shots

scho

Finally got around to converting my Sigma DP1M to FS (Kolari) and now trying to get it calibrated. Tried many times to generate a custom WB without success so for now just using the canned fluorescent WB in camera. A few test samples below.

Pre-conversion, auto WB, no filters

Post FS Conversion, Auto WB, Kolari Hot mIrror filter on lens.

Post FS conversion, FL WB in camera, Hoya Green X1 filter on lens

Post FS conversion, FL WB in camera, Hoya X1 Green filter+Hoya UV cut filter+Hoya CPL filter

scho

Finally managed to create a custom white balance in camera using the Hoya X1 Green filter on the lens. Processed thru SPP6.8 using Foveon Blue color option as described by Graham in earlier posts. Now getting clean neutrals, natural looking blue skies, and various shades of yellow, orange and red in green foliage.

Same as above + a CPL on lens as well. Some flare because shot without lens hood.

Last edited:

ggibson

Looking good!

I just bought a Ricoh GW-3 off ebay to use with my DP1, then I realized I have to get 62mm filters... :rolleyes:

scho

Looking good!

I just bought a Ricoh GW-3 off ebay to use with my DP1, then I realized I have to get 62mm filters... :rolleyes:
Yes, I have a GW-3 also but no 62mm green. I do have 67mm CC filters that I can use with a step ring.

scho

Cayuga Lake at Stewart Park. It was 97 degrees and very humid when I took this shot, and then the camera would no longer autofocus. I let it cool down and got it working again.

ggibson

Nice EIR colors! Fun shooting in live view.

What is your workflow for these? RAW-->SPP-->Export TIFF-->Lightroom-->Export JPG?

I still see the cyan cast a bit in both, though it's usually not too obvious in actual shooting. Let me know if you come up with a good way to compensate for it. I've minimized it manually before with a radial filter in Lightroom. Creating a preset to add that wouldn't be too hard with a test shot against a white wall I suppose.

scho

Nice EIR colors! Fun shooting in live view.

What is your workflow for these? RAW-->SPP-->Export TIFF-->Lightroom-->Export JPG?

I still see the cyan cast a bit in both, though it's usually not too obvious in actual shooting. Let me know if you come up with a good way to compensate for it. I've minimized it manually before with a radial filter in Lightroom. Creating a preset to add that wouldn't be too hard with a test shot against a white wall I suppose.
The B+W 486 UV/IR cut filter was not the best choice, but only thing I had in 62mm. The Kolari UV/IR cut does a better job. Yes, my workflow is as you described. I can sometimes get away with using the saturation slider in the HSL Color tab of LR, but not always effective for removing color casts. I may make a flat field (LCC) DNG file to apply to the raws to get rid of both magenta and cyan color casts.

scho

Great day for some IR shooting at the Cornell Arboretum Ponds. Sigma DP1M-FS with Hoya X1 green filter.