The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Quattro Shots

Quentin_Bargate

Indeed, Shaun, more of a challenge than with the Merrills, which excell at highlight recovery. Makes one wonder why things changed for the worse in this regard with the Quattros. Three steps forward, two steps back.

The Ute

Just for fun I compared the Sigma DP2Q w an A7r ( I know it's just one shot).
The A7r has a the Zeiss 55 mounted.
Both were shot at f11 on tripod w remote release.
Similar post-processing in Topaz.
Both on "Standard".
I'll let you judge for yourselves.
The one on the left is the Quattro.

Quentin_Bargate

I have retired my Quattros from service and have reverted to the Merrills (and other cameras)

The Quattros suffer from what is, for me, four fatal flaws.

First, they clip the highlights far too easily. Unlike the Merrills, there is very little headroom and the highlights cannot be recovered in SPP.

Second, there is the issue with false colour infill between backlit high contrast objects like tree branches. This is linked to the first issue, because it only seems to be visible when the background is blown out, such as with distant tree branches against a blow out sky. This is wholly unacceptable in a modern camera. The last camera I owned that suffered a similar problem was a Kodak 14n - more than 12 years ago.

Third, purple blodges on grey / green areas, particularly in low light conditions, and even at low ISO. The Merrills may not be great in these conditions, but the Quattros appear to be worse. In fact, they are quite hopeless.

Fourth, while I quite like the camera shape for handheld shooting, it is hopeless for stitched panoramas using my Fanotec setup, whereas the Merrills are a perfect fit. A minor point, perhaps, but the DP2M and DP3M are near perfect for stitched panoramas.

In their favour the DP1 and DP2 Quattros do have better colour and slighty higher resolution, but that is not enough to make up for the faults.

Now I hope improvements may come with a firmware or software update, but I'm not holding my breath. At the moment, these cameras look like a dead end. The sensor needs a complete rethink. My preference would be for Sigma / Foveon to revert to the traditional Foveon X3 sensor, but I doubt that will happen.

Of course in appropriate conditions, great results are possible, but the operating window is so narrow it is very limiting.

It is all very unfortunate.

Malina DZ

Quentin, thank you for sharing your experience with DP Quattro. Hopefully, Sigma listens to photographers that use their cameras and provide valuable user input. I hope Sigma can deliver a full frame DSLR with an improved Foveon (proper X3 Merrill style) sensor in the near future. Until then Merrills and film will suffice for me.

soboyle

Yeah, I'm a bit ticked off at Sigma, the Quattro looks and feels like a R&D project that was let loose on unwary consumers, who expect a step up from the Merrills. Neither the camera nor the software are ready for prime time. Sigma might think about doing something for us "early adopters" of this undeveloped technology, much like they did for purchasers of the $10K SD1, offering credit usable toward their next camera. Otherwise I will not be buying another Sigma camera. You can say there is some risk in buying into new sensor technology, but my 12 year old Canon Digital Rebel handled highlights better than this camera does.

Quentin_Bargate

There isn't the same shock and awe with the quality of Quattro files that I felt with the Merrills. I suspect that sales are not good, as their limitations are gradually exposed with experience. I do hope something can be done - maybe a Quattro Mk II with a modified sensor. The current cameras, when outside of their narrow operating window, are (absent a fix) something of a car crash.

Hulyss Bowman

The sad thing is that I explained this Delta between the two models since day one. problem is nobody trusted me :D

Now that the truth is widely expressed, measured and tested, those ppl who didn't trusted me are not brave enough to apologize.

I'll ask a full merrill kit as reparation !

The Ute

Same here but I really don't think that's in the cards.
Should have found a way to incorporate an EVF.

Aquatarkus

Hi there
I do think Sigma listen, but think they only listen to certain people unfortunatley (Sigma Forum DPreview, usual suspects)
It's a shame i am very pleased with my DP3M but have to agree that the Quattro's appear to need a lot of work via firmware updates ref the noise issue and they have to do something about SPP
Regards
Keith W

Hulyss Bowman

IMO the Q is just the way to bayerland and firmware updates will not change it.
Yes. I said this many times on forums that no firmware update are gonna fix any of the Quattro problems. For example, the grainy/sandynoisy lookout of the box is directly linked to the nature of the sensor. This is a physical issue, not an electronic issue.

tray271

I new this would happen ..to cut costs down use an inferior sensor and sell for the same price..im more than happy with my 3 Merrill cameras and will wait to see what canon have in store with there 53 mega pixel camera..Quattro looks to much like bayor sensor ..the merrills are special and have that wow every time you look at the files ..come on sigma we want that wow not that ok

raist3d

The sad thing is that I explained this Delta between the two models since day one. problem is nobody trusted me :D

Now that the truth is widely expressed, measured and tested, those ppl who didn't trusted me are not brave enough to apologize.

I'll ask a full merrill kit as reparation !
Apologies? From the Sigma crowd that loves their Foveon so much? You are joking right? :)

It seems to happen with every brand vs those that for some inexplicable reason rally behind it like mindless nationalism.

Here's what I would like Sigma to do: Do a 7 MP Foveon true X3 with the same size of the Quattro/Merrill. Or 10 MP. I would like to think the quality will be better than a Merrill capture while still having plenty of detail.

Also, they should totally go for a completely monochrome model.

- Ricardo