The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SIGMA SD1 shots

scho

The chippies are out foraging again. SD1M 17-50 Heavy crop.

Another shot that was upsampled 4x in Topaz AI Gigapixel and reduced 50% for upload to Flickr.

Last edited:

scho

A couple from a walk along Upper Buttermilk Creek with the SD1M + 30/1.4 A

Old oxbow pool on upper buttermilk creek with some marsh marigold in blossom.

Sphagnum moss growing on dead tree stumps

scho

Inspired by Graham's recent shots with his modified DP1M. Sigma SD1M (IR cut filter removed) and Sigma 30/1.4 Art lens. Cornell arboretum overlook. I had to replace badly blown out sky/clouds using Luminar 4.

scho

The old SD1M in full spectrum mode again with an IRChrome filter on the 17-50 lens. Enhanced in Lightroom with new SuperResolution option, click for 4x enlargement.

Another shot of the petunias today using a green filter and custom WB as described by Graham. I think I like this better than the IRChrome.

scho

Last one for today. Purple Oxalis plant produced brilliant red leaves shot with the SD1M 17-50 with green filter and Foveon Classic Blue color mode in SPP. The HSL sliders in LR are very useful for making targeted hue and saturation adjustments. I try not to adjust white balance (custom set in camera). Thanks again to Graham for the green filter workflow suggestion.

ggibson

Looks great! Finally a use for Foveon Blue mode, eh?

One thing I’ve noticed with my recent photos is a slight cyan vignette in the corners. I think I see a bit of that in yours also. I’m not sure if it’s due to the green filter specifically or it could be from SPP processing color without the IR cut filter.
Have you managed to get the dark skies and white foliage look in B&W with the Merrill in IR? That’s something that I find difficult to achieve.

scho

Looks great! Finally a use for Foveon Blue mode, eh?

One thing I’ve noticed with my recent photos is a slight cyan vignette in the corners. I think I see a bit of that in yours also. I’m not sure if it’s due to the green filter specifically or it could be from SPP processing color without the IR cut filter.
Have you managed to get the dark skies and white foliage look in B&W with the Merrill in IR? That’s something that I find difficult to achieve.
Yes, I've noticed a little cyan vignette as well, but not too bad. I haven't tried any B&W yet with the SD1M and green filter setup, but I will today or tomorrow now that the humid air mass here is finally departing.

scho

I see what you mean about problems getting a deep black sky. Best I could do today with a clear blue sky was a dark grey (image below used green filter and a CPL). I used to shoot B&W with the SD1 by extracting the blue channel from the x3f files with RawDigger, but that would not help with this issue.

ggibson

A 720nm filter and CPL is the best combination I've used so far for dark sky/white foliage. I played with the B&W color mode on my DP1m today, which shows the preview in B&W on the screen, and it was much easier to see the results while shooting. I realized that my workflow for B&W has always been to export in color from SPP and convert in Lightroom, but perhaps there is more control in SPP since it is reading the RAW.