The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Size difference: Cambo WRS-1200 vs WRC-400

anyone

Hi there,

I am currently thinking of adding a smaller Cambo camera to my kit and I was wondering about the size difference of the WRS-1200 vs the WRC-400. Is it significant? I guess it's unlikely someone here has both of them and can take a picture...

In general, the movements of the WRS-1200 suit my needs better, but if the WRC-400 is significantly smaller I might reconsider.

Thank you!

Audii-Dudii

According to Cambo's website:

WRS-1200:
  • Small size 160 x 165mm (W x H) incl. handgrips and tripod mount
  • Lightweight only 1.0 kgs (excl. lens)
  • Horizontal shift 40 mm (20 mm left/20 mm right)
  • Vertical shift 40 mm (25mm / 15mm)
WRC-400:
  • Small size 120 x 145mm (W x H) excl. handgrips and tripod mount
  • Lightweight only 0.5 kgs (excl. lens, excl.handgrip, excl. tripod mount)
  • Horizontal shift 40 mm (20 mm left/20 mm right) or Vertical shift 40 mm (20 mm left/20 mm right)
  • Removable 3/8" tripod mount (25 mm) including Arca compatible base plate.

anyone

I of course checked the specs- I was wondering about the size difference in practice. Maybe someone was facing the same choice?

JeffK

If your lenses have a large image circle then you’ll want more range of movement. If not, go with the smaller frame.

anyone

I use Hasselblad V lenses on the longer end, shorter ones are the Digitar 28mm XL and 35mm XL.

The stitch potential is of course nice... Would be great to see both cameras side by side!

Whitey

Hey u/anyone, I’ve got a spare WRS-1200 i‘ve been meaning to sell, with a rodenstock lens. I replaced it with an Arca a few years back, but the WRS-1200 is certainly much smaller and more convenient. Haven’t used a WRC-400.

If you decide you want to buy a WRS-1200 with cheap-ish lens (45mm apo-sirinar), email me at [email protected] (i’m a very infrequent visitor here, so but you could also try a pm)

cheers!

Rob

Steve Hendrix

I use Hasselblad V lenses on the longer end, shorter ones are the Digitar 28mm XL and 35mm XL.

The stitch potential is of course nice... Would be great to see both cameras side by side!

Side by side view is attached.

They are similar in height, but the WRS 1200 has a wider body (to account for the x/y shift capability). I do appreciate small and nimble when it comes to camera sizes but I would recommend you think carefully about what you are giving up. It is not just stitching - and in fact, you are not giving up "stitching", because you can stitch with the WRC 400 in either orientation (each side is duplicated and all sides can provide the mounting element for the camera).

But having the ability to control both x and y orientations in the same capture lends compete control over the framing and perspective, rather than just one single orientation. For some, this is extremely valuable, so considering how much of a burden the additional size is should be weighed carefully.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Attachments

anyone

Side by side view is attached.

They are similar in height, but the WRS 1200 has a wider body (to account for the x/y shift capability). I do appreciate small and nimble when it comes to camera sizes but I would recommend you think carefully about what you are giving up. It is not just stitching - and in fact, you are not giving up "stitching", because you can stitch with the WRC 400 in either orientation (each side is duplicated and all sides can provide the mounting element for the camera).

But having the ability to control both x and y orientations in the same capture lends compete control over the framing and perspective, rather than just one single orientation. For some, this is extremely valuable, so considering how much of a burden the additional size is should be weighed carefully.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. I still have the WDS for all movements available, so this would be a smaller travel companion. It does look like the WRC is just fine for me!

anyone

In the end I went for a used WRS 1200 - now looking forward for it to arrive! Thank you all for your help!

Edit: Now it arrived. It's in reality much smaller than I thought, definitely the right choice!

Last edited:

anyone

I have one question: The tripod socket is quite small, which Arca-Swiss compatible plate would you recommend?

I know that there is the WRS-145 alternative, but it's rather pricy.

Thank you!

jng

Yes the WRS-145 is indeed a little pricey (and also adds some bulk), but the extension of the foot below the body of the camera allows for full vertical shift. If you decide to forgo the WRS-145 and use a simple A/S plate, check to make sure that it won't get in the way of the rear standard when it's shifted to its limit.

John

anyone

Yes the WRS-145 is indeed a little pricey (and also adds some bulk), but the extension of the foot below the body of the camera allows for full vertical shift. If you decide to forgo the WRS-145 and use a simple A/S plate, check to make sure that it won't get in the way of the rear standard when it's shifted to its limit.

John
I was thinking to use the existing tripod mount that leaves the room needed for the movements of the camera and attach an Arca Swiss plate underneath. Basically I could find plates that have a stopper on one side, but unfortunately not on both sides. I was wondering if there is a plate available that fits entirely. If not, then I think a small metal stopper that could be fixed with a 1/4" screw would do the job.

jng

I use this on my 1250.

That's pretty cool. While the long-ish rail/foot might come in handy e.g. as a nodal rail, it might otherwise get in the way. Do you happen to know whether the block is compatible with their QRS-R14 square plate? If so, this would make the entire package quite compact.

John

Hi John,
I don't know if the QRS-R14 would fit. Assuming the plates are of similar width, it looks like it should. I have just started building my system, so I can't tell you definitively that there is no interference at all. With the fall on the body set at 25mm there is still 3-4 mm between the plate and the bottom of the frame and 13mm to the bottom of where the DB will be.

Trevor

• Thanks
Reactions: jng