The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 24/1.4 GM

iiiNelson

Looks pretty sweet. Very tempting.
I agree I’ve watched a few videos on YouTube and it seems like a very good lens but not “perfect.” Looked like reviewers could get the lens to flare pretty heavily for a “cinematic look” and there was some CA on some pictures but nothing that didn’t appear to be correctable in software. Definitely something I will likely consider adding but a part of me would’ve preferred a 21mm lens.

Last edited:

ggibson

This lens looks absolutely stellar from the samples I've seen. Incredibly sharp, flat field, f1.4, minimal coma, and gorgeous bokeh rendering. I would not normally consider a 24mm prime, but the combination of small size, f1.4, and excellent performance puts it next on my list of lenses to pick up. With an R body, it is easily cropped down to a 35mm f2 equivalent, making it very flexible for environmental portraits and casual use. I've enjoyed my Sony 28/2 for this purpose, but the 24GM looks to 1-up it in every category but size (understandably, given the price difference).

https://www.albertdros.com/single-post/2018/09/20/Sony-24mm-f14-GM-First-Impressions

iiiNelson

This lens looks absolutely stellar from the samples I've seen. Incredibly sharp, flat field, f1.4, minimal coma, and gorgeous bokeh rendering. I would not normally consider a 24mm prime, but the combination of small size, f1.4, and excellent performance puts it next on my list of lenses to pick up. With an R body, it is easily cropped down to a 35mm f2 equivalent, making it very flexible for environmental portraits and casual use. I've enjoyed my Sony 28/2 for this purpose, but the 24GM looks to 1-up it in every category but size (understandably, given the price difference).

https://www.albertdros.com/single-post/2018/09/20/Sony-24mm-f14-GM-First-Impressions
I’ve been considering this as a potential replacement for the 25 Batis I sold earlier this year.

ggibson

It is not that small. It is small for a f/1.4 lens.
Fair enough, size is definitely a factor that I weigh highly in a lens. I can totally understand someone preferring a smaller, slower lens. I've gravitated towards primes for my Sony kit for size reasons. Given Sony's prior slate of large pro lenses, I feel like a high-quality prime at this size is a good sign.

jerome_m

Fair enough, size is definitely a factor that I weigh highly in a lens. I can totally understand someone preferring a smaller, slower lens. I've gravitated towards primes for my Sony kit for size reasons. Given Sony's prior slate of large pro lenses, I feel like a high-quality prime at this size is a good sign.
I am not saying I don't like the size of the lens. I actually bought one. Back home, I mounted it to my camera and took off the 16-35. I was a bit surprised that the 16-35 was not that much bigger. From the Internet reviews I unconsciously expected a small lens, but of course its aperture implies it cannot be so small. The size is right, my unconscious expectations were not. I am just warning against that.

Mine arrived last week and it has met every expectation I had for it. I even compared it cropped at 36mm to my RX1RII. While obviously the RX1RII files would be much higher resolution, dare I say the GM 24mm rendering was preferable!? The bokeh in particular is more uniform in circular shape and the sharpness is identical. This makes the GM 24mm the most useful and flexible prime I have for travel, street and event work.

Truly a stellar addition to the lineup.

Watching the UPS tracking map, waiting for mine to be delivered today.

I'm really looking forward to it. Six years ago when I shot Leica, I wanted the 24mm Summilux, but could never quite get up the courage to spend $7,000 for it.

Last edited:
Surprised there isn't more action on this thread/lens. It may well be Sony's finest optic. I'm finding it perfect on the a7RIII where you can shoot it as a 35/2 in 18mp crop mode as desired. It's like having a zoom but with prime performance.

I'm brewing up a review that should be ready soon.

Surprised there isn't more action on this thread/lens. It may well be Sony's finest optic. I'm finding it perfect on the a7RIII where you can shoot it as a 35/2 in 18mp crop mode as desired. It's like having a zoom but with prime performance.

I'm brewing up a review that should be ready soon.
I have a theory that the lens threads which are the most active are generally sustained by controversy or nitpicking (or trolling). Because the 24mm GM is such a superb lens, it's hard to find anything to argue about, hence the low activity on the thread.

In any case, I find the 24 GM to be a simply amazing lens. It just completely steps out of my way and lets me get on with shooting. I'm looking forward to Sony applying this level of excellence to its future lens designs.

Look forward to reading your thoughts when the review is ready.

seb

I have a theory that the lens threads which are the most active are generally sustained by controversy or nitpicking (or trolling). Because the 24mm GM is such a superb lens, it's hard to find anything to argue about, hence the low activity on the thread.

In any case, I find the 24 GM to be a simply amazing lens. It just completely steps out of my way and lets me get on with shooting. I'm looking forward to Sony applying this level of excellence to its future lens designs.

Look forward to reading your thoughts when the review is ready.
Count me also as a happy owner. I love to use it for environmental people shots and it's just a perfect lens for that. For landscape, I'm still using the 21/2.8 Loxia. Quality and rendering of the 24/1.4GM are very close to the 85/1.4GM. A fact I really love. :)

But as I never show pics with people I will hardly post pictures with this lens. Here is one, the person cannot be identified. Therefore why not sharing. :)

190101_4600-2048.jpg

Pradeep

Great shots.

I am not generally a wide angle shooter except for the few night sky shots I've done . It is a bit too long for that though, 18mm or at most 21 would be the max in that situation.

I did own a Batis 25, but sold it as I was not using it much.

it is tempting to have it (too much GAS), but then I am thinking i would probably use it for landscapes/architecture/travel where I would always stop down to f8 at least, and then the beautiful bokeh would be lost and the fast aperture would be of no value.

Still one thing that makes me happy is that the Sony line up is truly maturing well and that is good news for all of us.