The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A1 powerhouse

ggibson

Amazing specs, though overkill for me. Can't wait to see this tech trickle down to their other lines. For now, I'll be watching for the used deals on the A7rIV's or A9's on the B&S board :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Impressive specs, and probably a great camera for sports and reportage. I don't think I need it though. I suppose this more or less kills the A9.

SrMphoto

Wow.
This camera can replace my a7rIII and a9. a9II and a7rIV remain less expensive but do not seem to have any other advantage over a1.
And the "best": a1 offers lossless compressed raw :).

Knorp

Impressive specs, and probably a great camera for sports and reportage. I don't think I need it though. I suppose this more or less kills the A9.
It certainly kills the A9 in terms of specs, but also for price. I wonder if they will continue this line. As the A9 was their 'pro' cam, so I guess the A1 is now the 'uber-pro' ?

Knorp

Comparing apples to oranges - what would you rather have: a $6500 Sony A1 or a $6000 Fuji 100s ... :unsure:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This camera is a total beast and if I think about it it is really THE ONE. There are 2 issues though
1) price - currently it seems too expensive for my taste
2) do I really need/want this camera - I want it and if all it promises is really true then it could become definitely my last camera (at least for the next 5-8 years) ;)
Will sit some while and wait .....

SrMphoto

If Fuji continues this development pace you might not need another FF camera on the side soon.
I do not see much improvement in technology with GFX100S. Apart from the size, GFX100S is likely not better than GFX100. A1 seems to be a big step in technology. I hope that Nikon's rumored mirrorless will have similar specs.

JeRuFo

Size is a huge improvement. Think of everything that is stuffed in that body and the problems with heat. A big sensor with video capabilities too and IBIS and not even a fixed screen. And with AF working til -5.5ev. All big things for MF.
The A1 seems like more of an incremental improvement in comparison.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
While the specifications are very impressive, and useful for some, it's not a game changer for more than a very little group of photographers. Very few have any practical use for 30fps (roughly 1 GB per second, full 64GB card in one minute if buffers and heat allow) or 8K video. Price isn't so bad compared other top-of-the-range cameras, current and past. My D2Xs was launched around that price. Now, 15 years later, its value is around $300.

In not very many years, there will be $1-2,000 cameras with similar specs. That's the way computers move. Look at this year's $1,000 M1 Mac compared to last year's $3,000 MacBook Pro. Same shit, different price.

Again, the specs are impressive, but not more than what one would expect these days. Have they fixed the heating? Apple did, so there's a good chance they have. Nobody wants to wear mittens when taking photos in the summer.

iiiNelson

I believe for those that can take advantage of the features, this really is “the one.”

On the video side of things, he 8K will get headlines but FF 4K120 coming from oversampled 5.8k is what piqued my interest... also the 8K is oversampled from 8.6k footage. Full size HDMI too. So essentially you’re getting a better video camera than the A7SIII and it even has the same color profiles as the FX6/9.

on the photography side, you’re getting a faster readout than the A9II, faster flash sync speeds, the ability to sync your flash with the electronic shutter, 30fps shooting, more resolution than anyone will complain about on having “enough”, nearly as much resolution as the A7RIV, improved real time AF algorithms, increased DR in a stacked sensor design, etc.

This camera was clearly built for the upcoming Olympics and the professionals in credentialed media. “Normal pros” like wedding photographers, wildlife/adventure photographers, portrait photographers, etc. will probably benefit from it as a side note. Will I purchase one? I’m honestly am undecided but I can easily dump everything else Sony I own for this camera and not look back. There really aren’t any glaring compromises here other than size for me.

JeRuFo

It is definitely seems a very well-rounded camera. A do it all for most people. Definitely a great option for news and wedding shooters.
It definitely seems that this is the only Sony you need.
I like a fast camera sometimes, but never have a use for 29 of the 30 fps.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I must admit that 4K/120 would be fantastic. I do suppose that others will offer that within 2021 too. Waiting for the GH6...