The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A1 powerhouse

algrove

For me I'd rather spend $6k on a 100S than an A1. I currently own A7R4 and 50R cameras with many lenses for both..

bab

Best part is the Sticky AF and the 9.5m dot EVF, biggest negatives the cards are $400 ea and screen is only 1.4m dots. Love the idea of 30fps but haven't seen anyone achieve it yet.

SrMphoto

Best part is the Sticky AF and the 9.5m dot EVF, biggest negatives the cards are $400 ea and screen is only 1.4m dots. Love the idea of 30fps but haven't seen anyone achieve it yet.
Do you really need a 160GB card ($398.-) ;-)?
If you don't mind the 'slow' speed, a1 accepts the ancient UHS-II cards as well.

SrMphoto

If fast speed is not needed, why buy an A1 in the first place?
I was talking about the speed of the memory card.
The AF speed, the EVF experience, and general operation speed do not depend on the SD card's speed. If Nikon Z 7 cameras' experience can be a guide, the speed of CFExpress will help mainly when downloading pictures to the computer.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I was talking about the speed of the memory card.
The AF speed, the EVF experience, and general operation speed do not depend on the SD card's speed. If Nikon Z 7 cameras' experience can be a guide, the speed of CFExpress will help mainly when downloading pictures to the computer.
High fps, buffer utilisation and fast emptying to card clearly depend on card speed, as do high resolution video. I believe this has already been shown by some reviewers.

SrMphoto

High fps, buffer utilisation and fast emptying to card clearly depend on card speed, as do high resolution video. I believe this has already been shown by some reviewers.
Looking forward to reviews, but on Z 7 it did not matter if you use the old 'slow' XQD card or the new fast CFExpress card.
I expect that buffer clearing with the UHS-II card is to be OK, especially since a1 has now lossless compressed raw files.
Also, I do not think that 30fps mode is that important.

Mexecutioner

If fast speed is not needed, why buy an A1 in the first place?
You may like the AF capabilities, human and animal eye AF tracking, DR, the 50MP may be a sweet spot for some, 8K video and the other video formats as well, I see many reasons to get one and not shoot 30fps bursts.

doug

After yesterday having the AF lock onto rough tree bark and foreground weeds instead of the intended birds I'm almost ready to throw caution and wallet to the wind. Help me out here! Does the bird eye AF work as well as you'd hoped?