The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A1 powerhouse

algrove

Not convinced for street and the occsassional landscape shooting it is worth it for me. I would seldom shoot flying birds and running animals.

Comments please. Thanks.

Last edited:

doug

A couple more very fast fidgety birds from this morning. Sometimes the a1's Bird Eye AF can't find the bird if it's heavily obscured by twigs and leaves and in deep shade but IMHO that's an extreme case. The vast majority of the time it locks onto the bird and if the eye isn't obscured it locks onto the eye & won't let go. I'm very impressed.
DRH08142_web.jpg

DRH08294_web.jpg
both: a1, FE 600mm GM, carbon fiber tripod. Yup, all that hardware to photograph little bits of fluff.

SrMphoto

DPR has published a review of a1.

Here are some relevant points:
  • Electronic shutter readout is 1/260 sec (a9 II: 1/160sec). "... the e-shutter is just as fast as many mechanical shutters"
  • The mechanical shutter is always with EFC. Use electronic shutter when shooting wide apertures and at a fast shutter speed (avoid bokeh issues)
  • Lossless compressed Raw offered for the first time on a Sony ILC
  • Better weather sealing than a7 and a9 series
  • The most responsive Sony camera (e.g., no more waiting on front dial action).
  • Truly excellent viewfinder. Resolution drops while focusing (e.g., AF-C).
  • Much better low light focusing when compared to a9II and a7rIV
Sony is slowly getting there ;-).

k-hawinkler

DPR has published a review of a1.

Here are some relevant points:
  • Electronic shutter readout is 1/260 sec (a9 II: 1/160sec). "... the e-shutter is just as fast as many mechanical shutters"
  • The mechanical shutter is always with EFC. Use electronic shutter when shooting wide apertures and at a fast shutter speed (avoid bokeh issues)
  • Lossless compressed Raw offered for the first time on a Sony ILC
  • Better weather sealing than a7 and a9 series
  • The most responsive Sony camera (e.g., no more waiting on front dial action).
  • Truly excellent viewfinder. Resolution drops while focusing (e.g., AF-C).
  • Much better low light focusing when compared to a9II and a7rIV
Sony is slowly getting there ;-).
Thanks. Slowly but surely. Great camera!

iiiNelson

If anyone is looking for an A1 (or multiple ones) then Murphy’s Camera in Lexington, KY had 2 or 3 of them earlier this week. Tried one out and it’s impressive but still the same form factor as the other bodies of this generation which means a “pass” for my purposes.

Knorp

Not speaking for Tre here, but the consensus is that the cameras are basically too small/too low, your pinkie goes nowhere, to provide a comfortable grip especially with large and/or heavy lenses attached.
I've have overcome that flaw partly by using the Sony grip extension.
Of course the battery grip is the ultimate solution, but that makes the package rather bulky (and heavy).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What form factor would you rather it have? Thanks.
This is apparently a matter of taste. There are good reasons why the Z9 and R3 come with integrated vertical grips. Still, high end Sonys seem to be selling well. There's room for different animals in this zoo. Personally, I prefer something chunkier, and all the cameras that I use regularly are larger than they would need to be when considering what is inside.

pegelli

This is apparently a matter of taste.
Absolutely, Tre seems to like bigger grips with more room between the grip and "fat" lenses, Bart likes the grip extension so his pinky is on a grip right below his other fingers, for me I much prefer 2 fingers on the grip and my pinky curled a bit further to support the bottom of the camera. That's why you need to test and hold a camera before you can decide what's best for you and internet advice on form factor and ergonomics is generally useless.

iiiNelson

What form factor would you rather it have? Thanks.
A huge personal reason I haven’t bought a Sony camera since the A7RII is that I find that the grips are necessary for any comfort level with larger lenses. I’ve somewhat remedied this by choosing a set of Tamron f/2.8 zooms to own. I was hoping that Sony would choose to go for a more integrated pro style body with an A1 type of camera and I’m assuming it’s a cost saving measure to have a unified assembly line with minimal tooling changes for the top plate.

I specifically added the Panasonic S1R for this reason. While some will point to the Nikon Z or Canon R bodies already available - none of these are really any better than the Sony bodies. They have larger mounts (and a different set of problems as well) that made them unsuitable for me personally. In the case of the Nikon it’s not much different in size than the older Sony bodies and the new ones feel pretty much identical in my hands. As for the Canon, I have the rear screens and the grip on the original EOS R may have been the most uncomfortable grip I’ve ever held.

So yeah all subjective... if I trusted the AF of the Panasonic in every situation then I’d sell my Sony kit. If Sony came out with the right sized body I’d sell my Panasonic. The A1 is soooo close to “perfect” but so is the S1R for different reasons.