The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7/A7r with old lenses

arri

Absolutly low level, less is not possible.
I used only a single lens, made of Quartz glass. 75mm f/3.2
My Sony is not converted to IR or UV light, so the results not perfect but it looks interesting and makes me curious for more.
I made an adapter inside an aperture barrel to use different focus length of quartz glass. In the moment I have a 35mm f/1.5; 40mm f/1,7 and the 75mm f/3.2

The first B&W images are directly out of the camera. Pictoralism 100%

f/3.2

f/22

f/3.2 in colour and a little bid additional work in raw therapee

Last edited:

camping

Arri,
Thank you for the interesting quartz lens post. The lens has a character of its own.
You said that there is a single lens... Do you mean a single lens element?
Has the lens been cut from a quartz crystal, moulded, or cut from a cast quartz piece?
What is the diameter of the lens and does it cover FF?
Thanks again, for showing us these images. Paul

arri

Arri,
Thank you for the interesting quartz lens post. The lens has a character of its own.
You said that there is a single lens... Do you mean a single lens element?
Has the lens been cut from a quartz crystal, moulded, or cut from a cast quartz piece?
What is the diameter of the lens and does it cover FF?
Thanks again, for showing us these images. Paul
It is only one single lens element, I placed it behind the aperture. It is a modern fused silica glass lens, not made of a real quartz cristal but chemical identic, SiO2
It is like the early landcape lenses of the 19th century or the Hanovia Kalosat lens but smaller.
It is a 1" Ø lens and covers full format without any problems and it should be usable in 4.5x6 and 6x6cm as well but the weakness is much more than.
For the Sony full frame it is a good choice.
For my 4x5" Wista I made a lens set of five different focus length from 105-1000mm
I hope to getting interesting results because the pan B&W films are sensitiv to UV as well. The build in filter of the Sony blocks it.

Here´s a sample I just made, I used f/16

Last edited:

pegelli

^^ Interesting experiments with these quartz lenses and very special but also appealing results (y)
Do you have any references how to make and mount them, and do they have a real moving aperture or do you put disks with different opening sizes in front or behind the lens?

arri

^^ Interesting experiments with these quartz lenses and very special but also appealing results (y)
Do you have any references how to make and mount them, and do they have a real moving aperture or do you put disks with different opening sizes in front or behind the lens?
I made adapter rings to use the lens elements in an aperture barrel.
A standard helicoid Sony FE/M42 mount and an adapter to screw in the barrel.
I´am in the lucky situation that I have a small lathe machine with the option to machine threads in imperial and metric pitches.