The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony a7R IV

Greg Haag

Hoping to get a little guidance from someone more familiar with the Sony full frame dslr's. I am looking for something a little more compact for certain times than my medium format setup. I think the a7R IV seems like a good fit, most of what I would be shooting with this would be still objects and video is of almost no importance to me. I have considered the Canon R5 due to already being familiar with the Canon product via the 5dsr, but am leaning toward the a7R IV. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Greg

pegelli

Greg, do you have the opportunity to hold one in a shop nearby? I find body shape and body ergonomics is so personal that giving advice is very hard. I love my Sony bodies (A7ii and A7Rii) but that is in no way a guarantee you would like them as well, and even then the A7Riv has again a slightly different body shape (bigger grip). Also some people don't like the Sony menu system (I don't know why but they do ;) ) so a little look around there might be a good idea as well.

And in the end there are no bad cameras and systems and selecting the best for you from a spec sheet is very difficult, you really need to hold and use one to take the decision that suits your needs best.

Greg Haag

Greg, do you have the opportunity to hold one in a shop nearby? I find body shape and body ergonomics is so personal that giving advice is very hard. I love my Sony bodies (A7ii and A7Rii) but that is in no way a guarantee you would like them as well, and even then the A7Riv has again a slightly different body shape (bigger grip). Also some people don't like the Sony menu system (I don't know why but they do ;) ) so a little look around there might be a good idea as well.

And in the end there are no bad cameras and systems and selecting the best for you from a spec sheet is very difficult, you really need to hold and use one to take the decision that suits your needs best.
Thank you Pieter!

vjbelle

Greg, I have the 7RM4 and really like it. It is small with a great EVF and you will more than likely get the upgraded LCD. Most importantly some of the finest lenses available today are made specifically for the E mount. I encourage you to look at the small and extremely sharp Voigtlanders (APO-LANTHAR) if you like manual focus and also the Sony GM series for AF. I believe you'll be very happy with the Sony.

I am constantly amazed at the print quality from the files I get from the Sony and a stellar lens. A 40 inch print is a breeze and can stand up to the closest inspection.

No matter what it is all about the lenses. The best lenses in the world, imho, are made for the E mount or can be easily adapted. 60mp sharp edge to edge is better than soft 100/150 - again imho. As usual ymmv.

Victor B.

Last edited:

Greg Haag

Thank you Victor, this is very helpful! Do you have any favorites in the Voigtlander lenses? Have you used any of the Canon T/S lenses with this camera?

vjbelle

I own the 50mm and 65mm Apo-Lanthers. I intend to purchase the 35mm Apo-Lanther. The Apo-Lanthers are in a league of their own. I had a 110mm Voigtlander but was never happy with it. I have the Sigma 85mm 1.4 DG which is now discontinued. It is heavy but my copy is so incredible that I intend to keep it. I tried the Sigma replacement which is lighter but with image degradations compared to my DG. I also own the - also heavy - Sigma 35mm DG DN f1.2 which is also discontinued. My copy is unbelievable which is why I keep it. I also have a Leica 90mm F2.0 Aspherical which is incredible at f5.6 and travels with me to keep things lighter. For longer stuff I have my LF lenses which go all the way out to 180mm but that means bringing the Actus which sometimes I don't want to do because of the extra weight. 35mm, 50/65mm and 90mm gets me 99% of what I shoot.

I haven't used any Canon T/S lenses as I can use the Sony on my Actus. Granted I am limited to using my Schneider 60XL on the wide end but if needed I can turn the FOV of that lens into about 37mm which is about as wide as I need.

Victor B.

algrove

Greg
I had and sold my A7Riv as I was expecting an A1. I wear about a size 7-8 glove if there is such a thing anymore and the grip was fine for me. I do not consider myself having large hands, just average. Finding a brick and mortar dealer is worth it for many reasons mentioned above. I have the APO Voigtlander 50 and as Victor mentioned it is stellar. I also have used the Batis 25,40 and 85 and very much like their rendering.

Lou

P.S. If you get one I a few accessories laying around like the RRS L bracket and expanded eye cup, etc.

Last edited:

vjbelle

Greg, you may want to visit Phillip Reeve https://phillipreeve.net/blog/ as they have reviewed almost all of the Voigtlander lenses and are a reliable source. FM also has lots of threads regarding Voigtlander, Sigma and Sony lenses and Freds reviews are very thorough.

Victor B.

Greg Haag

Thank you Victor, you are a wealth of information! I am having a problem with a nerve in my lower back and on my last outing with my medium format gear it was really an issue, so I am looking to lighten my load.

algrove

Greg
That's why I went mirrorless also. But due to GAS I am now concentrating on the GFX100S as the body is just a 1/2 lb more than the Sony with 100MP and MF look. As for Sony wides I have none wider for the Sony than the Batis 25 which is VERY light and superb. Zeiss also makes the Batis in an 18mm which I understand is also excellent as well as being light. If you want wide zooms I am not the person to ask although I do have a friend using Sony wides and he has the 16-35 and 12-24. His problem with the 12-24 is filtration since there are no filter threads on the lens and he uses it so infrequently that he hates to purchase another system in addition to what he already carries. BTW this friend is a back surgeon from St. Louis, MO.

Greg
Once you decide on the lenses it might be worthwhile to add the total weight of body, lenses and accessories of more than one system. I have many GF lenses and can offer assistance should you have questions if you want to stick with a lightweight MF system. For example, I travel with the 32-64 and 100-200 as my main 2 lenses and then pick the 23mm and 250mm plus 1,4x. Victor likes only prime Fuji lenses and I cannot fault this approach, but those 2 zooms serve me very well. The lightest GFX body I have carried is the GFX 50R.

Last edited:

vjbelle

Thank you Victor, you are a wealth of information! I am having a problem with a nerve in my lower back and on my last outing with my medium format gear it was really an issue, so I am looking to lighten my load.
On my last trip to Page I managed to irritate a nerve in my lower back. I didn't just irritate it I plain pissed it off!! Stopped me dead in my tracks..... don't know how I made it home which was a very painful car trip. This has been an ongoing issue for the last fifteen years which comes and goes so I've learned to live with it. Its been about 8 days since and I'm at 99%. It wasn't the weight of my backpack which was fairly light at about 10 lbs but more a combination of things.

Time is the be best healer for me.....

Victor B.

huyu

I shot with canon 5DsR for most of my commercials but I jumped to A7R3 last year. It's lighter and file quality is slightly better than my old 5DSR, 60% of my photos now with the CZ55 1.8, it's small, light, and quality is just so good.
I still kept all my Canon L lenses and use with A7R3 via Sigma Mc11 adapter. Love the combination, especially the 85 1.2L.
I also shoot architect, currently with 12-24. I've also ordered a T/S adapter from Fotodiox, which is using Canon lens mount (manual only) on Sony. Planning to get some Zeiss lenses to use with it :D

P/s: I tried A7R4 and R3 before I made the decision. R3 is just suite my need so I went with it.

Greg Haag

On my last trip to Page I managed to irritate a nerve in my lower back. I didn't just irritate it I plain pissed it off!! Stopped me dead in my tracks..... don't know how I made it home which was a very painful car trip. This has been an ongoing issue for the last fifteen years which comes and goes so I've learned to live with it. Its been about 8 days since and I'm at 99%. It wasn't the weight of my backpack which was fairly light at about 10 lbs but more a combination of things.

Time is the be best healer for me.....

Victor B.
I feel your pain Victor, I am glad you are doing better! I thought I was going to have to crawl back to my car when it happened.

Greg Haag

Greg
That's why I went mirrorless also. But due to GAS I am now concentrating on the GFX100S as the body is just a 1/2 lb more than the Sony with 100MP and MF look. As for Sony wides I have none wider for the Sony than the Batis 25 which is VERY light and superb. Zeiss also makes the Batis in an 18mm which I understand is also excellent as well as being light. If you want wide zooms I am not the person to ask although I do have a friend using Sony wides and he has the 16-35 and 12-24. His problem with the 12-24 is filtration since there are no filter threads on the lens and he uses it so infrequently that he hates to purchase another system in addition to what he already carries. BTW this friend is a back surgeon from St. Louis, MO.

Greg
Once you decide on the lenses it might be worthwhile to add the total weight of body, lenses and accessories of more than one system. I have many GF lenses and can offer assistance should you have questions if you want to stick with a lightweight MF system. For example, I travel with the 32-64 and 100-200 as my main 2 lenses and then pick the 23mm and 250mm plus 1,4x. Victor likes only prime Fuji lenses and I cannot fault this approach, but those 2 zooms serve me very well. The lightest GFX body I have carried is the GFX 50R.
Thank you Lou, I think the GFX100S may be a great option for me, I am exploring that Steve Hendrix now. If I go in this direction, I will probably sell my Phase One/Cambo gear, still struggling a bit with that decision.

algrove

Thank you Lou, I think the GFX100S may be a great option for me, I am exploring that Steve Hendrix now. If I go in this direction, I will probably sell my Phase One/Cambo gear, still struggling a bit with that decision.
Many are struggling with that decision at this moment. I am not prepared to do that yet as I love my Alpa gear, but if the 100S works out in the end something has to go. I sold my XF and BR lenses some years ago now and found the switch to a tech cam only with the Phase back helped a lot with my weight concerns and I mean a lot.

vjbelle

Don't sell anything!!! If you want just buy into the 100s system which you can buy from anyone. No matter what don't buy from anyone that doesn't offer a 30 day return policy. Lenses need to be tested. Can't say this enough. The camera itself is a little buggy but I like it a lot. A lot heavier than an optimized Sony system. I have all three (Phase, Fuji, Sony) so including the Actus I have my pick of light weight vs. movements and more stuff.

Phase has made their commitment to the XT which means any buyer is married to a Phase DB. There may be improvements down the road with new DB's but who knows. If not the XT system is dead which it easily could be since its design stage was way before anything like the 100s was available and it serves a very tiny market. Digital Backs may be a thing of the past in the near future..... I wrote mine off a long time ago.

Victor B.

algrove

Don't sell anything!!!.... Digital Backs may be a thing of the past in the near future..... I wrote mine off a long time ago.

Victor B.
" I wrote mine off a long time ago"....And so did buyers out there. Agree on the 30 day return policy.

vjbelle

Greg..... Just got my Voigtlander 35mm lens and it does not disappoint. Very sharp wide open edge to edge with the perfect aperture for me being f4. Light as a feather and feels like a swiss watch. If I want to take four lenses ranging from 35mm to 90mm the total weight is 2012 grams (35, 50, 65, 90). If only 3 lenses the weight is 1300 to 1600 depending on whether I would take the 50mm or 65mm. Add in the weight of the camera (665g) and maximum weight with four lenses would be 2677 grams ( 5.9 lbs. ). This is the lightest system I have ever owned and capable of extremely good captures..... all manual of course.

Contrast this to my 100s system that weighs in at 3560g (50mm, 80mm, 110mm plus camera and L bracket) and the gain is 2.9 lbs. This is assuming I only take the Sony with 3 lenses - I added the 65mm as the third lens. If I were to take the 50mm then I would shave off another 300 grams.

You have to consider a bag weight but I think anything for either system would weigh in at around 3 - 3.5 lbs. Incidentals may come in at 2 lbs. max.

Food for thought....

Victor B.

Last edited: