The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony a7R IV

Greg Haag

Greg..... Just got my Voigtlander 35mm lens and it does not disappoint. Very sharp wide open edge to edge with the perfect aperture for me being f4. Light as a feather and feels like a swiss watch. If I want to take four lenses ranging from 35mm to 90mm the total weight is 2012 grams (35, 50, 65, 90). If only 3 lenses the weight is 1300 to 1600 depending on whether I would take the 50mm or 65mm. Add in the weight of the camera (665g) and maximum weight with four lenses would be 2677 grams ( 5.9 lbs. ). This is the lightest system I have ever owned and capable of extremely good captures..... all manual of course.

Contrast this to my 100s system that weighs in at 3560g (50mm, 80mm, 110mm plus camera and L bracket) and the gain is 2.9 lbs. This is assuming I only take the Sony with 3 lenses - I added the 65mm as the third lens. If I were to take the 50mm then I would shave off another 300 grams.

You have to consider a bag weight but I think anything for either system would weigh in at around 3 - 3.5 lbs. Incidentals may come in at 2 lbs. max.

Food for thought....

Victor B.
Thank you Victor! This feels like the best path for me at this time, I ordered the camera with a kit lens and then will try to spend a little time zeroing in on what combination of lenses to get. The voigtlanders look like a very interesting option for me.

vjbelle

You will be happy ;). Some are jumping onto the A1 but it's not for me. I don't need the added features and I give up 10mp plus it's more than double the cost.

Victor B.

Greg Haag

You will be happy ;). Some are jumping onto the A1 but it's not for me. I don't need the added features and I give up 10mp plus it's more than double the cost.

Victor B.
Same here, the A1 looks like a great camera, I think the A7r IV is just a better fit for me.

algrove

You should do very well with the A7R4. If you want very wide what lens are you leaning toward since the choices are mind boggling. What kit lens? 24-105? You're a bit early for Christmas in July.:D

Greg Haag

You should do very well with the A7R4. If you want very wide what lens are you leaning toward since the choices are mind boggling. What kit lens? 24-105? You're a bit early for Christmas in July.:D
Lou, yes I did the 24-105. Not sure on the ultra-wide, you are right, so many choices!

algrove

I also got the 24-105 as a smallish walk around travel one lens show. For the time being I have no other zooms. A NW pro/workshop guy very much likes the Tamron zooms such as the 70-300 and the 150-500. He also uses the 24-105 for his middle zoom and mainly uses the 16-35 for wide. The Tamrons are light and good landscape lenses. I heard Tamron is partially owned by Sony. Maybe someone can confirm or deny.

Greg Haag

Lou/Victor, my camera w kit lens arrived yesterday so now I am going to begin working thru the menu system and getting it set up for the way I shoot. I was anxious to shoot something and decided on this new bank building on the way to work this morning. Thanks to both of you for all you help, I am sure there will be more questions to follow!

Sony A7r iv 24-105 @ 24mm 1 second exposure at f8 ISO 100
Sony A7r iv.jpg

algrove

Greg
I very much like your rendering of this image. Too bad your kit was 3-4 lbs.:)

There is a Sony guy called Gary Friedman who walks you through different menu scenarios with the A7R4 depending on your need/wamts. It is thick, but I found it useful as a first time Sony shooter.

vjbelle

Great Image.... The Sony sensor cries for great lenses. The great part is that they are not all that expensive.

The menu isn't all that difficult - actually kind of straight forward fmpov. Put a Voigtlander 50mm lens on that Sony and shoot it at f5.6 and you will see why I love my Sony/Voigtlander combination.

Good shooting.......

Victor B.

Mexecutioner

Good call Greg. I like the rendering of the Voigtlanders, used the 40 extensively but got rid of it recently as I got the new Sony 35 and 50. Of course now I miss it and may buy it again at some point along with the 50 APO. They just feel so good in the hands, small and with a lovely focusing ring so easy to focus with the focus peaking on the camera. I did a whole 3 week trip with the only the 40 and a 7R3 a few years ago and it was liberating to travel so light and still get some good shots and not feel I made big compromises. Granted I was traveling with my wife, and while she’s a good sport when it comes to photo stuff, I wanted to focus on us more than on the gear I would carry. Still I don’t know if I’d give up my Phase gear… yet…

Greg Haag

Rodrigo, so good to hear from you, I hope all is well! I think I am at a similar place as you, not ready to give up my Phase gear just yet. I will probably pick up a few lenses for the Sony and just enjoy both systems for now. I hope the drought I have been reading about out west has not affected your garden!

vjbelle

Once you see how fantastic the 50mm lens is you may want to consider the 35mm which is in the same league. The only FL left is something in the 90mm range. I have the Leica 90mm Asph which is really sharp..... also really expensive!! I'm waiting for Voigtlander to come out with a lens at that focal length. The Loxia is a consideration as well as numerous AF lenses.

Victor B.

algrove

All good points and advice.

I have the Batis 85. I very much like the rendering of the Zeiss lenses and since they are AF my failing eyesight is no issue with them. The Batis series are also very light so watch out Greg as before you know it your Sony kit will be 6 lbs! That should surely help with your back compression troubles. You might feel so much better you will decide to make your Sony kit 8 lbs.

Greg Haag

Victor, the 35mm is probably one I will order soon, maybe the one I should have ordered first? I have a warehouse space where I like to photograph cars when I have time and find one interesting. I use the 55mm on my phase back and the 35mm on the Sony would be perfect! I am usually stacking and blending about 30 images and the smaller file size on the Sony will speed this process up. I am not sure where I will go from there on lenses? I have to say the kit lens has been great so far, the 14mm Sony that just came out is also interesting. I am also considering the 200-600, when I was in Death Valley at Mesquite Flat Dunes earlier this year that was the gap I felt was missing. But oh my goodness, the weight, 4.65lbs!

Greg Haag

Lou, you bring up a very good point on eyesight and auto focus, it is becoming more of an issue for me. And a great reminder on weight! I think I can come up with a 3 lens backpack setup that will be much lighter. My exception would be if I got the 200-600 that I would use in certain situations and with this I would probably take that lens and an ultra wide. But the 200-600 is so heavy!

vjbelle

Yes..... the 200-600 is a heavy monster. It's tough enough just walking out to a decent spot at the Dunes but if that was your only lens you could probably figure out a way to either keep it on the tripod or get a small backpack just for it and keep the camera on the tripod.

Consider ordering the 35mm from Cameraquest as they are the Voigtlander distributor and offer the same return as B&H and....... they will overnight it to you at no charge. I try to support them when I can.

It really doesn't matter which lens is ordered first as you will need/want both.

Victor B.

Last edited: