The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Street Photography

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Let's share and discuss some street work here. Please note that by posting an image you invite others to critique and discuss it. Let's make it great learning experience.

M

mjr

In the spirit of sharing for critique, this is more of an exploration for direction than finished work for critique, it's just an idea that I like and so starting to see if it works. I don't even really think it's street photography in the traditional sense, it just happens to be views from the street, I don't know.

For a little context, I know nothing of street style photography, apart from Baghdad and Mosul, I haven't been in a city for a very long time. I absolutely love the gritty, hard images portrayed by people like airfrogusmc on here, start contrast, light and shade and the quality of the observations. I am only starting out with this environment and haven't got the eye for those sorts of shots yet, if I ever will, so I'm just wandering about looking for different things.

I have been looking at images for quite a while, scenes from the US mainly, shot on Portra, that sort of stylised pastel colours, bright, lifted shadows kind of feel, I love that other worldly effect. As I'm wandering about this city, the contrasts of new architecture and old, the post pandemic apocalypse type of feel with roads closed for no apparent reason, hardly anyone on the streets, I can't help but feel that there's something in portraying these scenes in an otherworldly kind of way. It's easy to find scenes either completely empty or just 1 or 2 people in them and it really appeals to me.

Anyway, the start of an idea or an excellent place to leave off and start photographing something else less rubbish? Let's find out. Observations and little scenes that caught my eye, processed to flatten them out and remove them a little from reality, maybe, possibly, who knows. Thoughts?

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
In the spirit of sharing for critique, this is more of an exploration for direction than finished work for critique, it's just an idea that I like and so starting to see if it works. I don't even really think it's street photography in the traditional sense, it just happens to be views from the street, I don't know.

For a little context, I know nothing of street style photography, apart from Baghdad and Mosul, I haven't been in a city for a very long time. I absolutely love the gritty, hard images portrayed by people like airfrogusmc on here, start contrast, light and shade and the quality of the observations. I am only starting out with this environment and haven't got the eye for those sorts of shots yet, if I ever will, so I'm just wandering about looking for different things.

I have been looking at images for quite a while, scenes from the US mainly, shot on Portra, that sort of stylised pastel colours, bright, lifted shadows kind of feel, I love that other worldly effect. As I'm wandering about this city, the contrasts of new architecture and old, the post pandemic apocalypse type of feel with roads closed for no apparent reason, hardly anyone on the streets, I can't help but feel that there's something in portraying these scenes in an otherworldly kind of way. It's easy to find scenes either completely empty or just 1 or 2 people in them and it really appeals to me.

Anyway, the start of an idea or an excellent place to leave off and start photographing something else less rubbish? Let's find out. Observations and little scenes that caught my eye, processed to flatten them out and remove them a little from reality, maybe, possibly, who knows. Thoughts?

Thank you for being one of the first. Based on the background you provided (no experience in street photography) you are doing really great, especially with images #2, 4 and 5. You picked great locations for some framing opportunities. I would say that the frame #2 has the most potential as a slight change in perspective could bring new opportunities. With locations similar to #2 I often visit the place many times during the day to observe a play of light and foot traffic. Such an observation will get you familiar with the spot and during each visit you will see more and more opportunities. The key would be to go with each element and ask yourself - do I need it in the frame? - usually you go through a series of NOs until you get to your final destination. This is a great starting point, now I would go back to the same spots and try to narrow my visual focus. Once again, thank you for sharing.

• Thanks
Reactions: mjr

darr

I hardly ever do 'street photography' because I do not live close to city buildings. But I have been working on a project about the other side of America's tropical paradise - the decaying Florida seaside towns I live not too far from. You know the kind of place, where you may have went on a family vacation as a child or with your children, stayed in a hotel, tanned on the beach, rode amusement rides, and ate local fish dishes, etc. I travel to these towns when I feel like adding to the project. Here is an image I am currently working on. It is titled "SOS" ( ...---... ). I want the image to project a call for help as a byproduct of paradise overspent. The area photographed is walking distance from a popular beach, and once placed in context with other images from the area, the viewer will see the connection. Image was made with a Mamiya 6 and 120 film. Thank you in advance for taking the time to share constructive criticism.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
I hardly ever do 'street photography' because I do not live close to city buildings. But I have been working on a project about the other side of America's tropical paradise - the decaying Florida seaside towns I live not too far from. You know the kind of place, where you may have went on a family vacation as a child or with your children, stayed in a hotel, tanned on the beach, rode amusement rides, and ate local fish dishes, etc. I travel to these towns when I feel like adding to the project. Here is an image I am currently working on. It is titled "SOS" ( ...---... ). I want the image to project a call for help as a byproduct of paradise overspent. The area photographed is walking distance from a popular beach, and once placed in context with other images from the area, the viewer will see the connection. Image was made with a Mamiya 6 and 120 film. Thank you in advance for taking the time to share constructive criticism.

Great idea for the project! Well-thought out composition and location! If I had to share one thing that bothers me, that would be vignetting, too much of it to be honest. I would tone it down. In most cases I I prefer when it is subtle and barely noticeable. Thank you for sharing and I am looking forward to seeing more of your images from the project. Please keep us updated. Maybe we should start a new thread when we could share our long-term projects, like this one.

darr

Great idea for the project! Well-thought out composition and location! If I had to share one thing that bothers me, that would be vignetting, too much of it to be honest. I would tone it down. In most cases I I prefer when it is subtle and barely noticeable. Thank you for sharing and I am looking forward to seeing more of your images from the project. Please keep us updated. Maybe we should start a new thread when we could share our long-term projects, like this one.

Thanks Olaf!

The image was shot late afternoon, but I wanted to see it as shot at night. You know what I have to do? RESHOOT!
I will return in the near future and check out the location at dusk and at night.
I think I will try using digital this time so I can see as I go. ;)

Kind regards,
Darr

pegelli

Olaf, there's another "gear agnostic" street photography thread over here, should that one now be closed?
I post there regularly but recently it's been very quiet, so maybe this is a better place

Maybe my post from today has a double meaning ;)

Crossing paths with art

A700 + Min 70-210/4

M

mjr

I think this section is more about requesting and receiving critique in order to resolve an idea or develop a concept or to just understand what's missing from a shot. A lot aren't interested in that though and just want somewhere to post the shots they take for others to view and that's it, that's my interpretation anyway.

pegelli

I'm fine with receiving comments and critique, I think it's a great way to learn. So I'll probably start posting my street shots here and not in the other place.

@mjr , I usually like street shots with people better but in this case your 5 and 6 are nice as well since they clearly show the human effect of "neglect" with the unkept weeds and hanging lock.
Also #4 with the two people walking away from each other and out of the frame gives a great anonymous mood of this modern university complex during the quiet times we're experiencing today.

@darr, great place for architectural street shooting, nice composition and the antenna is just extra icing on the cake. I agree with Olaf, maybe a less pronounced vignet and an overall darker rendering would work even better.

M

mjr

I really like this Darr, I like the highlight drawing attention to the dish, I think as others have mentioned, the resulting image could be improved with a lower ambient light rather than heavy processing but I do sort of like it as it is, the lower half looks a little like a grad applied which probably is a little heavy. I'd love to see this with a night sky, milky way maybe even? Concept of reaching out further afield for help? Not sure maybe a cliche but I do like how you're linking older buildings run down and the sos call. Looking at the image I wonder why the dish is still apparently in good condition but all around isn't, I also wonder how it would be with a broken dish mount, like even the dish has given up waiting for help? Not sure.

Anyway, sounds a really nice project so I hope you post more!

Mat

Shashin

Mat, this one is the most interesting for me. You have this odd situation with conflicting space. There are two outsides divided by the frame of the structure: far distance exterior, the mid-distance ramp in the frame, and the near distance concrete wall (sarcophagus?). The space is cut in such a way, I am not sure how you would pass through it--the tiled ramp does not seem to go to the space in the back, nor lead into the space in the foreground. The bin is neatly tucked into its space, but yet that space is somehow disassociated from the other spaces (I can't tell if the metal rail lines up with the rear titled ramp wall or blocks it). The flat lighting works in this case as it gives the spaces the ambiguity, giving the appearance of layers on layers, but not clearly indicating how these layers intersect.

Anyway, my two cents...

• Thanks

Shashin

Darr, it is with a Mamiya 6: it is just going to work ;)

What I really like here is the opposing positive/negative walls of the building. The left is white with dark windows/doors and the other is dark with a light patch.

darr

Darr, it is with a Mamiya 6: it is just going to work ;)

What I really like here is the opposing positive/negative walls of the building. The left is white with dark windows/doors and the other is dark with a light patch.
Thanks Will, and :ROFLMAO: at you!!

darr

I really like this Darr, I like the highlight drawing attention to the dish, I think as others have mentioned, the resulting image could be improved with a lower ambient light rather than heavy processing but I do sort of like it as it is, the lower half looks a little like a grad applied which probably is a little heavy. I'd love to see this with a night sky, milky way maybe even? Concept of reaching out further afield for help? Not sure maybe a cliche but I do like how you're linking older buildings run down and the sos call. Looking at the image I wonder why the dish is still apparently in good condition but all around isn't, I also wonder how it would be with a broken dish mount, like even the dish has given up waiting for help? Not sure.

Anyway, sounds a really nice project so I hope you post more!

Mat

Thanks Mat.

I appreciate your insight. I want to see this shot at dusk and in the night.
The blundering of natural resources for tourism is a problem I see a lot from where I live.

darr

Mat,

I like your thoughts. Brought back memories of an episode from The Twilight Zone from the 60s where a man wakes up to find he is alone in the world, in a city like NY totally empty of people. The images above work for me within that idea, especially the last one as it shows overgrown foliage and projects an empty feeling for me. I like your idea and I like your photography. Good luck with your project!

Darr

• Thanks