The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Study of frost

D

DanPBrown

Howdy all. These photos are of frost that formed on my shed window a few weeks ago. I have a small show coming up at a local gallery and I have decided to have frost as the theme for my show. Do you think it will work or am I crazy to like these photos.
Thanks,
Dan
www.danbrownphotography.com

jonoslack

Lovely Dan
It looks like very expensive jewelry, and you've got the processing just right.
Good Luck with the exhibition

Lars

Amazing what you can do with fractals these days ;)

Seriously - fascinating, captivating.

Re the upcoming show, do you have enough material to stay with the frost theme? It would be a pity if you had to add something less stellar just to fill the walls. It might be worth considering two parallel themes, if you have good candidates for a second theme?

D

DanPBrown

Amazing what you can do with fractals these days ;)

Seriously - fascinating, captivating.

Re the upcoming show, do you have enough material to stay with the frost theme? It would be a pity if you had to add something less stellar just to fill the walls. It might be worth considering two parallel themes, if you have good candidates for a second theme?
It is a small show, I plan to have around ten or twelve framed pieces hanging. I have what I consider about 15 frost photos worthy of framing so far. I took the photos about a month ago but I'm still working on some.
Here are a couple more.
Dan

Lars

I think it will work really well, you should not have any problems getting attention.

Curious, what was the subject size and what was your camera and lighting setup?

D

DanPBrown

I think it will work really well, you should not have any problems getting attention.

Curious, what was the subject size and what was your camera and lighting setup?[/QUOTE

Subject size was small, I was working at 1x-2.5x magnification. The subjects were from 1cm to 4cm. I used a 1dsmk3 with the mpe 65mm, 180mm, and a Contax 60mm macro.
I found that ambient lighting worked best, although I did use flash for some like the last blue colored one.
Dan

Lisa

Really, really cool, Dan! I don't believe I've seen anyone try to photograph frost patterns like this before. Great idea, and very well done. The high-contrast B&W approach works very well.

Lisa

M

medinaphoto1

pretty cool, reminds me of art class where you cut out linoleum and then rolled paint over it and then pressed it against a piece of paper and this was what you had as a finished product.

D

DanPBrown

I had my show tonight. It went well, many people didn't know what the photos were until I told them it was frost, then they were surprised and more interested. A few commented that the photos reminded them of etchings.
Here is my last frost photo of the season.
Dan

L

LivingFiction

These are just stunning, they look like fossils of some exotic pre-historic plant.

T

tokengirl

These are stunning. Thank you for noticing the stuff that most of us ignore.

H

hillsidekim

Stunning photos Dan. Frost season is over for this year (I hope) but next year you've given me something to look for.
Kim

F

FStopIan

I have to say as well... great images. Would to see them as large prints.