The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stupid Hasselblad Eye Cup

ptomsu

Workshop Member
All,

I think the eyecup issue with H cameras is a real issue! Nevertheless this differentiates a good representation (dealer) from a bad one. My dealer told me this weakness upfront and showed me how to handle and store the camera, so that the eyecup does not fall off or the mounting is destroyed by carrying etc.

Just a minor note on the fact that the dealer - or call it support (local support) - is almost as important as the camera system itself.

BTW this was one of the main reasons why I choose Hasselblad over Phase - dealer / support efficiency in Austria.

David Schneider

Just got off the phone with Hasselblad. Nicole said the shorter eyecup stays on better. I'll try that one. She did say once they come off they tend to come off a lot more, even if glued. I should get it in a few days.

M

mistaki spita

I bought a H4D40 earlier this year and the eye cup came off soon. My dealer thecamerastore in Calgary used a a small plastic tie to secure the eyecup and I no longer have an issue. I think the solution is better than any glue job and is simple.:):)

Professional

I bought a H4D40 earlier this year and the eye cup came off soon. My dealer thecamerastore in Calgary used a a small plastic tie to secure the eyecup and I no longer have an issue. I think the solution is better than any glue job and is simple.:):)
Maybe i have to take it off by force and then try your solution. :D

David Schneider

The plastic tie might be a very workable idea. Nicole said something about a couple of screws that hold the cup, but she did say that once the eyecup gets knocked off, there's not really a good solution.

fotografz

The plastic tie might be a very workable idea. Nicole said something about a couple of screws that hold the cup, but she did say that once the eyecup gets knocked off, there's not really a good solution.
Then they should get someone at Hasselblad working on a solution ... it's bullsh^t that this happens.

What's weird is that I never had this issue with my older H cameras ... not once. The only thing that changed was the bag I use ... previously I used a tall roller bag with the camera stored face down. I am positive that the eye-piece originally got knocked off taking it in and out of the new bag.

-Marc

M

mistaki spita

Further to use of plastic tie. Most of my work is with major outdoor events. I carry my H4D40 in a sling bag with a full set of lenses. The camera and lenses are snug in the bag so the eyecup is vulnerable when the camera is going in or out. The tie works. If you already have used glue you could still put a tie on as well. If you haven't used glue then just use the tie.

Double Negative

Not Available
FWIW, this happens on the V cameras (prisms) too. The PM5, PM51...

A dab of glue (preferably something less permanent than super glue) usually does the job. Some rubber cement is good; easily removed should the eyecup actually get damaged. Though the grip is obviously less than the super glue.

My Canon 1D2N did this with a third-party eyecup as well. I had a great solution to the minimal stock "eyecup" with a more well-formed one. Well, it's laying in Jamaica somewhere right now...

My old Canon A-1 did this as well, though the grooves were a lot deeper and held up much better. It took quite a bit to dislodge it, but it happened.

What manufacturers SHOULD be doing is forming the rubber eyecup over a plastic, threaded insert!

Double Negative

Not Available
...Though I believe many manufacturers (Hasselblad included) do this so that you can remove the eyecup quickly and easily in case it's lost (ha), damaged - or you wish to toss on a magnifier.

fotografz

Further to use of plastic tie. Most of my work is with major outdoor events. I carry my H4D40 in a sling bag with a full set of lenses. The camera and lenses are snug in the bag so the eyecup is vulnerable when the camera is going in or out. The tie works. If you already have used glue you could still put a tie on as well. If you haven't used glue then just use the tie.
Can you post a close-up of that solution? ... I'm having trouble visualizing it.

Thanks,

-Marc

symbolphoto

I just got a short eyecup in the mail today. I was expecting a 100 2.2 plastic bayonet for the lens hood. If someone gets my bayonet mount, let's trade! :)

David Schneider

I just got a short eyecup in the mail today. I was expecting a 100 2.2 plastic bayonet for the lens hood. If someone gets my bayonet mount, let's trade! :)
I ordered a short eyecup last week. Might be me. lol. I think I got Hasselblad just to send the eyecup in an envelope rather than charge me $8.00 for shipping. Seemed crazy for something that small.

NOTE: A few minutes after I posted the mail came. (It does come sooner when the forecast is for rain.) I just got my eyecup, not your mount. Darn, thought I'd have myself a nice new mount. lol.

Last edited:

Analog6

Mine split, right along the middle. I have checked the price of a new one and as I can't see how I can avoid it (eventually) doing it again I'm using it without at the moment. Mine was a former rental camera and it had been glued. Anyone know how to get glue and rubber bits OFF my viewfinder?

David Schneider

OK, I finally unpacked my new eyecup from Hasselblad. On Nicole's recommendation I went with the shorter eyecup because it's better to use with glasses and I like to keep my reading glasses on if possible.

I don't see how it's held on! There are two screws on the body. I'll have to call them. Maybe I'll trade it in for the larger one because I think the larger at least extends farther than down the camera body so you can put the tie on.

NOTE: Looks lke you take the two screws out, pull the eye piece rubber back, put the two screws in. Man, those two little screws are suppose to keep the eyecup attached? Not exactly heavy duty.

Last edited: