The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sublimation Printers

robdeszan

Hi All,

I have always had issues with Ink jet printers due to infrequent use (clogged heads mainly); not printing daily but more like once a week or every other week.

I use a Canon Selphy CP1300 printer for editing work (shoot selection) & printing odd personal snapshots but I have never been entirely happy with the quality (colours of the print mainly); however, I do appreciate the hassle-free nature of sublimation technology. I should probably mention that I have tried custom profiles for the Selphy which improved things a bit. I have also set up some PS actions to adjust the colours & contrast prior to printing but it is still less than optimal.

Has anyone had a chance to compare/use the Selphy and a more professional dye sublimation printer such as DNP DS620 for example? Leaving aside the obvious difference between size of prints between the two, the output, printing speed etc. Would the print quality be improved going from the little Canon?

Many thanks!

Last edited:

MartinN

I had a Ricoh Gelsprinter, not sublimation, but a different twist on inkjet I thought. But, it clogged like hell. My Epson 3880 has been going very well, and for occasional use I have a Canon Selphy, but it has developed mechanical problems with paper feed. And is expensive to run. No ideal solution.

robdeszan

Thanks Martin. Indeed there isn't. I am trying to get hold of some prints (a UK dealer have kindly offered to print a few for me) from a DS620 to compare against the Selphy.

MartinN

Maybe the only care free and no problem option is to order prints from a professional printing company. They know their color management and devices. Likewise they can supply prints in any size, and they use archival quality papers and pigment ink.

robdeszan

Maybe the only care free and no problem option is to order prints from a professional printing company..
An absolutely valid point, especially for non-commercial, low volume printing.

That initial outlay of almost £1000 will buy you a lot of prints, especially if one orders in bulk once every few months. I know.

I have been promised some sample prints from UK DNP dealers to verify if the quality difference is big enough to justify the swap with the Selphy but so far none of them delivered, which makes me wonder if there is any, and they know it... Any print quality differences between the two are rarely explicitly mentioned in reviews by those who made a similar Selphy to DNP swap; speed, bigger consumables (requiring less changes) and durability being the most important selling points for this type of (event) device.

Myself, I am just waiting to be blown away by those prints differences. If I do get those DNP samples I will also order prints of the same files from my favourite online printers for comparison too.

MartinN

I printed a bunch of A4 on my Epson 3880. No problems with clogging, usually I exercise it once a month in wintertime and more often with hot summer temperatures. Can’t remember when I bougth it but the main problem is the cost of ink cartridges. They are about 60€ and everytime I power on there is wasting to the waste collector. The waste collector fills up quite fast. 80ml ink cartridges and a huge waste collector.

emmawasm

Hi All,

I have always had issues with Ink jet printers due to infrequent use (clogged heads mainly); not printing daily but more like once a week or every other week.

I use a Canon Selphy CP1300 printer for editing work (shoot selection) & printing odd personal snapshots but I have never been entirely happy with the quality (colours of the print mainly); however, I do appreciate the hassle-free nature of sublimation technology. I should probably mention that I have tried custom profiles for the Selphy which improved things a bit. I have also set up some PS actions to adjust the colours & contrast prior to printing but it is still less than optimal.

Has anyone had a chance to compare/use the Selphy and a more professional dye sublimation printer such as DNP DS620 for example? Leaving aside the obvious difference between size of prints between the two, the output, printing speed etc. Would the print quality be improved going from the little Canon?

Many thanks!
I have a epson ecotank sublimation printer. That is very good easy to use & user friendly.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Has anyone had a chance to compare/use the Selphy and a more professional dye sublimation printer such as DNP DS620 for example? Leaving aside the obvious difference between size of the best sublimation printer australia between the two, the output, printing speed etc. Would the print quality be improved going from the little Canon?

Many thanks!
Hi guys,
I have some questions and I hope you can share your knowledge with me.
I have a small t-shirt business and I do heat press. I use stock transfer papers for printing but I also want to do custom designs, such as adding names and numbers on the back of the shirts.
I was thinking to buy small DTG machine but since I work from home and live in a studio unit, I won’t be able to have a place to store the machine. Also, I don’t want to invest in DTG at the moment as it’s on the expensive side.
After I go through the several topics, I had a basic knowledge about sublimation printer and how it works but things get confusing after this.
As I read, there are many sublimation printers on the market and Epson is used widely.
When choosing the printer, you should better off choosing the printer that has available color profile on the internet. Some printers come with 6 different color but most of them has 4 color option.
Since I’m very new to this, I’d like to choose a model that is very easy to use, reliable and doesn’t require some steps to operate. I also prefer a printer that offers white printing. So, I’m wondering which printer do you guys recommend for me? I’m also wondering if I’ll be able to print on cotton hoodies. Some says I can, some says I can only use a garment that has up to %50 cotton. Got confused

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
Dear All,
I'm back after a few years busy, and am happy to see a "dye-sub" Thread.
For AGES I had a Kodak 8600 that Bob Collette of Kodak (ret) helped me keep going. It finally gave up the ghost (and media are scarce) so a few years ago I went with a DPN DS80. GREAT prints, also as good as Kodak, but having lived through decades of "wet printing", I really prefer the gloss feel (and DPN even kept the bend of old processing LOL)
I have an Epson 7900 for big stuff but you can't beat dye-sub to get close to real prints.

Ok, I've taken shelter...the ink jet crowd can attack! :)
regards
Vic