The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Super Digitar 28mm XL Question

anyone

Hello,
I have the option to purchase a Super Digitar 28mm XL.

Does anyone use this lens on a large sensor? How well does it perform, particularly without the CF?

How does it compare IQ and size wise to a Digitar 35mm?

Thank you!

Paul2660

As I recall the 28mm Schneider was quite large and had a considerable sized outer element. I might have it confused with a different 28mm from Schneider. The 35XL I am very familiar with. It’s tiny, really needs a CF for all shots even on center. Very sharp Lens a bit hard to work with in a RM3DI especially with a rotoback adapter as the lens has no rings and fits flush. Symmetrical design and very sharp.

Paul C

Boinger

Where did you find one I have been looking for one for ages!

Also it only would work well with iq4 150 as that has the bsi (how well I am not sure I don't have one)

For any other sensor the last one it worked well on was the 60mp dalsa backs. If you have a newer back than that I would skip it.

anyone

I have an IQ1 60, so that fits quite well. Would love to hear about some more opinions on it. I expect about 10mm shift, similar to the 35mm?

Thank you!

Steve Hendrix

I have an IQ1 60, so that fits quite well. Would love to hear about some more opinions on it. I expect about 10mm shift, similar to the 35mm?

Thank you!

Given that the image circle is the same (90mm), you'll extract a bit less shift with the 28 XL than you would with the 35 XL Digitar lenses.

Steve Hendrix/CI

anyone

Thank you all for your answers so far. Still would be interested about image quality opinions (and also weight). I couldn't even find a Schneider data sheet for the lens.

How about using the lens without the CF? It seems to be pretty rare nowadays (or: impossible to get).

dchew

Thank you all for your answers so far. Still would be interested about image quality opinions (and also weight). I couldn't even find a Schneider data sheet for the lens.

How about using the lens without the CF? It seems to be pretty rare nowadays (or: impossible to get).
Here are the data sheets. I grabbed as many as I could from Alpa's site before they updated to their new site:
Sk 28mm
Sk 35mm

I would definitely search for the center filter with any back other than the IQ4150 (I still use mine on the 35mm even with that digital back).
Dave

rdeloe

Here are the data sheets. I grabbed as many as I could from Alpa's site before they updated to their new site:
Sk 28mm
Sk 35mm

I would definitely search for the center filter with any back other than the IQ4150 (I still use mine on the 35mm even with that digital back).
Dave
Yeah for preserving and sharing knowledge!

I had an email conversation with a senior Schneider Kreuznach person recently about data sheets for lenses that clearly existed -- there they were in pictures -- but he had no knowledge or information. Even the WayBack Machine hasn't helped. :(

mdshaw

I used it heavily with a P45+ and it is a fantastic lens with easily 15mm of movement. I recently switched to an IQ260 back and can get around 10mm of movement- of course, I now get the full frame so don't need to shift as much.

I also have the CF, but I tend not to use it as I shoot interiors with flash & cannot afford the light loss. However, the LCC does a really good job of cleaning up the file.

I also own the SK35mm & would say the image quality is around the same. I've had the Copal shutter repaired on both and the sharpness is very influenced by correct shimming on the shutter mount.

Matthew

matthewshaw.co.uk

anyone

Thanks for the data sheets and first hand usage insights! Any other opinions on the quality of the 28xl itself and compared to the 35xl? (I own the 35xl)

Last edited:

cuida1991

Anyone knows the image quality of 43XL and 120ASPH on 44x33 CMOS digital backs? Is color cast hard to remove, especially when shifting to extreme (like 25mm, or even more)?

med

Anyone knows the image quality of 43XL and 120ASPH on 44x33 CMOS digital backs? Is color cast hard to remove, especially when shifting to extreme (like 25mm, or even more)?
The 43XL has very good IQ on 44x33 CMOS backs with small to moderate movements, however the colour cast becomes hard or impossible to remove (your mileage may vary of course) at around the 12mm mark. 25mm shift has fairly extreme vignetting and was outside of what I would consider useable due to extreme colour cast. Centre filter would help with the vignetting, but not the cast. I don’t have the Centre filter for this lens.

cuida1991

The 43XL has a very good IQ on 44x33 CMOS backs with small to moderate movements, however, the colour cast becomes hard or impossible to remove (your mileage may vary of course) at around the 12mm mark. 25mm shift has fairly extreme vignetting and was outside of what I would consider useable due to extreme colour cast. Centre filter would help with the vignetting, but not the cast. I don’t have the Centre filter for this lens.
Thank you so much for your reply. It seems that a 44x33 CMOS is wasting the large IC of 43XL. I will probably purchase this lens when I can afford a pre-owned IQ4 150mp in the future.

med

Thank you so much for your reply. It seems that a 44x33 CMOS is wasting the large IC of 43XL. I will probably purchase this lens when I can afford a pre-owned IQ4 150mp in the future.
The 43XL sings on an IQ4 150!

On a 44x33mm 50MP CMOS back, the Rodenstock 40 HR has a bigger useable image circle than the 43XL in my experience, along with another stop of light and better performance wide open if that’s important to you, but with a few trade offs... namely size, weight, distortion, and possibly cost. I’m not sure what 43XLs go for now that they are back en Vogue on BSI sensors. I did a head to head with the 40 HR and 43XL last year on a 44x33 CMOS back last year and I would be happy to share the files if you like.

Please send me a PM if you would like the files or have any other questions about the 43XL... Sorry to OP and others for derailing the thread!

cuida1991

The 43XL sings on an IQ4 150!

On a 44x33mm 50MP CMOS back, the Rodenstock 40 HR has a bigger useable image circle than the 43XL in my experience, along with another stop of light and better performance wide open if that’s important to you, but with a few trade offs... namely size, weight, distortion, and possibly cost. I’m not sure what 43XLs go for now that they are back en Vogue on BSI sensors. I did a head to head with the 40 HR and 43XL last year on a 44x33 CMOS back last year and I would be happy to share the files if you like.

Please send me a PM if you would like the files or have any other questions about the 43XL... Sorry to OP and others for derailing the thread!
I think the main issue with 43XL is where to find one. Superb Schneider lenses are nowhere to find now!