The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Super Tele lenses for digital medium format recommendation

anwarp

What I did NOT do - take teleconverters. That will require separate trips. Those old lenses have a LOT of glass in them. I suspect the IQ gaps will widen here. We'll see in the next installment.
I’m curious - did you have a porter?

• Haha
Reactions: jng

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I’m curious - did you have a porter?
No. Hence only one tripod and no teleconverters. :LOL:
It was 36 lbs. To many people, that's not a heavy pack, but I'm a wimp.

Oh, and here's a close-focus experiment I did with the Fuji X-H1. By "close", I mean 25', as that's the minimum focus on the Pentax 67 400/4.

This is the Pentax + 2x, so 800mm f/8 (stopped down a bit) 100% crop

And the Zeiss at 700mm f/11

The color artifacts on the Pentax won't go away completely. Still ...

Last edited:

aksclix

skimmed thru the thread but I don't see a mention of the Canon 800mm f/5.6? (or did I miss it?) shouldn't that be a candidate? I should probably rent one and see for myself.. I had the 400mm DO IS USM first version lens and it worked OK.. the vII might work better I guess..

MGrayson

skimmed thru the thread but I don't see a mention of the Canon 800mm f/5.6? (or did I miss it?) shouldn't that be a candidate? I should probably rent one and see for myself.. I had the 400mm DO IS USM first version lens and it worked OK.. the vII might work better I guess..
I guess it depends on the image circle and your sensor size. It wouldn’t work on a camera with larger flange distance, but on a mirrorless or DB it might be great. I mounted Canon lenses on the GFX100 and they worked fine. 85/1.2 anyone?

aksclix

@MGrayson with the techart adapter I am able to use a lot of my canon ef glass on the 100s. I do have the 85 f/1.2 and it does cover the whole sensor.. can’t speak of edge sharpness as that’s not what I even want on an f/1.2 lens anyway.. briefly used a 400mm DO IS USM but sold that lens soon because the AF was slow and unreliable

My otus 55 covers the sensor too with extremely minor vignetting.. the results from this lens are lovely though..
I gave up the idea of a large telephoto option for the 100s because there’s no way I am getting a lens that weighs a ton in the mirrorless era 😌

Makten

Not necessarily for use with super teles only, but has anyone tried a TC with adapted FF tele lenses? Tele converters usually enlarge the image circle, and even if I know you'll probably get better results with a smaller sensor, it would possibly be a convenient option for let's say a 70-200 on the GFX.
The main question is if the TC should be native to the camera or the lens, because it will end up farther away from the exit pupil in the first case. I suppose it's better if it's on the lens side with the adapter between TC and camera mount. :unsure:

Aaaaand, you'll need an expensive electronic adapter of course. Unless you go for an old lens with mechanical MF and aperture ring (even older AF lenses).

Lacunapratum

There is also the big 800mm ED IF f/6.3 Pentax originally designed for the Pentax 67 and the 1000mm f/5.6 Carl Zeiss Jena. Both cover medium format. I am currently selling my 1000mm Zeiss Jena on the auction site, but it has served me well for many years and gives very unique bokeh.

buildbot

I don’t think anyone has mentioned it, but there is also the Rollei 1000mm PQ!
As well as the smaller 500mm version, which is much easier to find.

Something else interesting is if I did my math correctly, the new tokina T mount 400mm mirror lens actually has ~84mm image circle based on the published angle of view.

Lacunapratum

Wow, never seen the 1000mm Rollei/Zeiss lens in PQ mount. I have seen the one is SL66 mount.

Those 500/1000mm lenses don't hold up well on digital backs because they are not apochromatically corrected. The new 400mm Tokina likely has strong donut bokeh, which is not for everybody. but nevertheless, that would be an attractive option. The bokeh of the 1000mm Jena is actually not bad, given its large aperture. But it comes in at 14kg...

IMHO, the 600mm an 800mm Pentax lenses are perhaps among the best for medium format telephoto photography.

But I agree that your modern Sony, Nikon, or Canon lenses have autofocus and are likely going to beat your medium format solution any day, unless you are after a special effect.

MGrayson

Because I'm insane, I decided to compare the old Pentax 67 400/4 SMC Takumar to the newer 400/4 ED-IF. Aside from the extra 2 lbs., the lack of chromatic aberration, and the MUCH closer minimum focus, the newer lens is (to my pixel peeping eyes) optically indistinguishable from the older one. The much smaller and lighter Pentax 67 300/4 ED-IF is similar. Soft at f/4, better at f/5.6, sharp at f/8.

The 400/4 ED-IF has a 67mm filter holder near the camera and a 112mm filter threads at the front. Both are inhabited by clear filters. The front filter is a monster in every possible way. You can save SEVEN ounces removing it. The rear filter is also pretty hefty for its size. But if you're using these lenses, I guess light weight isn't a high priority.

Oh, 400/4 ED-IF at f/5.6 and at minimum focus - about 8 feet (tight crop):

Matt

Last edited: