The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Switching from digital to film

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The more advanced digital cameras become, the more I like film. I use digital for convenience and for commercial images where time is never sufficient. Always being in a hurry seems to be a natural part of progress.

I also prefer Portra for anything with people, 160 for formal shots and 400 for leisure. Lately, I've used Ektar 100 for some industrial photography and it's a very impressive film. Extremely fine grained and with a "fulness" of colours that is hard to beat. It does tend towards red a bit, so I do some colour adjustments in PS, but it's still a very satisfying film to use, particularly with medium format cameras.

I can also recommend Kodak Pro Image 100, which is a much cheaper film. It lacks the delicate colours of Portra, and shows more or less as much grain as Portra 400, but is still a good film for portraits and everyday use.