The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Switching to Alpa

gmfotografie

hi guys !

as i always photographed with canon or hasselblad i want to switch to alpa.
so for my needs i want ot have a moveable system like the alpa plus (right left shift )a phase 100mp back and a lens with about 27 and 35mm: prefered 32mm alpagon

can you give me some tipps with this combination ?

thx

Last edited:

tcdeveau

I don't think you can go wrong with a 12 plus, a P1 100mp back, and lens.

The 12 plus is a beautiful piece of kit.

For the back, I'd probably look at the IQ3 100 to start. Compared to the IQ1 100, it has electronic shutter, which is really nice in the days of copal 0 discontinuance. Compared to the IQ4 100 it's a lot cheaper. The trichromatics supposedly have better color vs. the standard IQ3 100 but usually cost more $$. The IQ4 150 is the best way to go IMHO if you have the money because, being a BSI sensor vs. the FSI sensor of the 100mp-series, it doesn't show color cast issues as much as the FSI 100mp sensor with older lenses (like the discontinued schneiders). I've also read that the schneiders exhibit less distortion than the retrofocal Rodenstocks, like the 32 Alpagon, but don't have any hands on experience.

As far as lenses go, I'd look at the 32 Alpagon over a 28 SK/Rodie or 35 SK (or 35 Rodie) because it will give you the most movements while minimizing color cast issues on a 100mp sensor back (if you go 100mp).

I also am not sure I understand the allure of an XT kit (unless one has the money and wants to buy new and wants movement metadata baked into the files) and would go for a used Alpa/Cambo kit over XT kit just to save money, unless for some reason you need the X-shutter capability (which keep in mind requires the added expense of an IQ4 back over IQ3 for compatibility). You also lose tilt and have limited movements with the XT.

Have you reached out to our forum sponsor Capture Integration yet? They are P1 XT/Cambo/Arca/Alpa dealers and I'm sure could do a remote demo and show you around the various systems. I also think they may even have a used 32mm Alpagon in stock (albeit a LB version that would have to be remounted to allow for tilt use)....just sayin (btw I have no affiliation with them other than being a customer).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
+1 on a Alpa Plus (or STC), 32HR-W SB + Adapter and IQ3100 as fantastic starter kit. T/S can be added later, and based on the images I saw on the OP’s web site, you may want to add a longer lens like the 90HR.

gmfotografie

thank you very much - and of course I prefer the IQ3100 - it is a very good back for actually interessting price. - the 90HR is on the waiting list.
An XT will not an option for me because I want to have a more flexible system.

dchew

Michael,
The 12+ is the most versatile Alpa, and you can just barely store it up/down in a bag (see pic below). I have the 12+, STC and TC. I am frequently switching between the 12+ and the STC. The STC can do almost as much in a more compact size, but the "almost" might be significant for you. From a look at your portfolio, you do some architecture. If you want to shift and rise/fall at the same time, the STC is out.

Another vote for the 32hr. I don't have it simply because of its size and weight, but it is the best of the bunch. I have the sk35xl, but I don't do much movement with that lens. As Graham mentioned you will probably want a short telephoto sooner than later. Another way to accomplish that is with the sk f/4.5 90mm. You can use that for a while until you build up the funds/justification for the 90hr-sw. In my opinion, its darn good out to about a 90mm image circle, and "good enough" out to 98mm. They are still available new without a copal 0 and frequently show up on the used market with a copal 0.

Regardless, don't forget the accessories; they can add up quickly with Alpa.
  • Digital back adapter
  • 17mm adapter, or 17mm tilt adapter
  • A second 17mm adapter for longer lenses (later). You can double them up for 34mm. I carry (1) 17mm tilt and (1) 17mm so I can tilt with all my Short Barrel lenses.
  • For the 12+, the stitching adapter; optional on the STC.
  • Grips. These are not necessary but nice to have if you don't mind the added weight and space. I have one for my STC but none on the 12+. That's why I have that strange orange cord on the 12+ in the pic.
Alpa 12+, IQ4150, (5) lenses (sk35xl, sk60xl, sk90xl, Rodi 138f, Zeiss 250sa) and all accessories.

dchew

Another consideration when selecting lenses is the fact it is so easy to blend shifted images for a wider view without changing perspective. For example, mount the back vertically, shift horizontally 16 mm each way then blend the two images. If you maintain the 4x3 ratio, you end up with a 54x72 image and the 32mm hr becomes a 24mm lens using a 90 mm image circle. The 90mm lens becomes a 69mm FoV.
Dave

dchew

Also, grips on the 12+ wrap around the edge and add width to the body. That definitely limits your storage options.
Dave

JeffK

The ALPA 12 MAX is still a solid choice. Mine is in with ALPA for a clean and check. Fortunately I have an STC as well, so I’m still able to enjoy creating images. I recommend the rosewood handles over the synthetic black ones. The rosewood are more expensive but aside from looks, they’re better in the hand. Given the price of admission you’re already looking at, the rosewood are a tiny percentage of what you’re investing.

GrahamWelland

I have the Max too. A little difficult to pack but it does give you the ultimate movements. For me it is Max plus 32 HR-W and 90 HR-SW.

I miss my Schneider 150mm … (Damn thieves) I used to have the Rodie 23mm too but a difficult lens to use well. I Shoot landscape but for architecture I can see the appeal. Just watch out for the flare, although I believe that Rodenstock fixed that later in the lens releases.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Another consideration when selecting lenses is the fact it is so easy to blend shifted images for a wider view without changing perspective. For example, mount the back vertically, shift horizontally 16 mm each way then blend the two images. If you maintain the 4x3 ratio, you end up with a 54x72 image and the 32mm hr becomes a 24mm lens using a 90 mm image circle. The 90mm lens becomes a 69mm FoV.
Dave
I agree - especially when super wide. I’d stitch a 32HR image vs shooting with a 23mm every time. Ditto for longer lenses you can always crop. I have the IQ4 150 so its easier but even the IQ3 100 gives you realistic options, especially for print.

gmfotografie

I will have a test on Friday ... Now I´m very interested in the 4/40mm Rodi - maybe this will fit my needs better than the 32mm
( on the canon I shoot a lot with the 35mm wich was a little bit long sometimes...)

tcdeveau

I will have a test on Friday ... Now I´m very interested in the 4/40mm Rodi - maybe this will fit my needs better than the 32mm
( on the canon I shoot a lot with the 35mm wich was a little bit long sometimes...)
The 40mm Rodi is also a good option - it's smaller, lighter, cheaper, and doesn't require a center filter (which the 32mm sometimes does). That is why I went with the 40 over the 32mm....at least for now assuming GAS doesn't get the best of me :)

jng

What TC and Dave said... The Rodie 40HR was the first lens I acquired when I started with my Cambo. It's a great lens, roughly equivalent to a 25mm lens in 35mm format. With LCC correction it shifts cleanly to 10mm which gives a 35mm-equivalent horizontal field of view of a 20mm lens (plus or minus). Note that with this and pretty much all lenses on the shorter end, you will need to use an LCC file to correct for lens cast on the IQ3 100, even unshifted. So, be sure to have one on hand for your test.

John

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

I have both 40/70 on my Actus system and 32/90 on Alpa. I would agree that the 40mm Rodie is a lot more portable, although the 32 HR-W is outstanding but a large lens.

You can’t go wrong with either lens vs Canon or perhaps even potentially your X1D lenses.

Reactions: med

tcdeveau

I have both 40/70 on my Actus system and 32/90 on Alpa. I would agree that the 40mm Rodie is a lot more portable, although the 32 HR-W is outstanding but a large lens.

You can’t go wrong with either lens vs Canon or perhaps even potentially your X1D lenses.
No way to mount X1D lenses (XCD) to an Alpa 12 body AFAIK. There is a Canon EF lens adapter though that can even be paired with a Silex controller for aperture control (I think).

There's a HXD adapter, but it's to turn the X1D into a digital back (with limitations - SB17 lenses won't achieve infinity focus), so one is better off with the HAA back adapter and the CFVII if using a Hassy X cam as a DB on an Alpa 12 body.

I'm happy to be wrong though - my 21 XCD (currently FS) and 90 XCD would bookend the 40/70 rodies nicely, and I'd be curious what kind of coverage the 35-75 gives on a 40x54mm sensor.

GrahamWelland

I wasn't saying that you could adapt the other lenses to the Alpa, just that when comparing lenses, the 40/70 or 32/90 Alpa mount lenses will be far far better than Canon or even the Hasselblad lenses. That's just the magic of pure technical camera lenses.