The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Techart AF Leica M to Sony E adapter question:

fotografz

So, is anyone else using the Techart AF M Adapter?

Got one recently and I've done a few no-brainer "tourist test" days with it on a Sony A7R-II using a M21/1.4 ASPH, M35/1.4 ASPH (pre FLE version), and a M75/2 AA.

So far I'm impressed, even though I'm not sure I'm using it correctly.:rolleyes:

Very interested in other people's experiences ... good or bad. Specifics would be helpful. Pics would be a bonus.

- Marc

I got one just last week, on a whim. Thought I'd try using a couple old Leica R lenses and some ancient Nikkors. So far, very impressed with how well it works. Once you get the silly programming routine figured out, to set the focal length.

Definitely fun.

fotografz

I got one just last week, on a whim. Thought I'd try using a couple old Leica R lenses and some ancient Nikkors. So far, very impressed with how well it works. Once you get the silly programming routine figured out, to set the focal length.

Definitely fun.
Like a typical guy, I just mounted it and used it. What does the "silly programing" do? Provide exif info?

- Marc

I couldn't figure out how you gain access for programming. All I saw was a kind of squiggle barcode that I suppose I was supposed to scan with something. Are there instructions anywhere for how you do this, or can you pass on some hints, please?

Kirk

I couldn't figure out how you gain access for programming. All I saw was a kind of squiggle barcode that I suppose I was supposed to scan with something. Are there instructions anywhere for how you do this, or can you pass on some hints, please?
The very cryptic 'manual' is here - http://techartpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/CROPMANUALENG.pdf

But assuming your lens is one of the standard focal lengths, all you need to know is this part -

Basically, you turn on the camera and take one shot with the aperture on the camera set to the value in the chart (which corresponds to the focal length of your lens). For example, if you're using a 28mm lens, you take the shot at ƒ20. That sets the EXIF data - then you set the aperture on the camera back to ƒ2 before shooting. If you change to a different focal length lens on the adapter, you just repeat the process to set the new focal length. (I made a little label to stick on mine with the values for my three lenses, so I don't have to remember them.)

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 2.28.47 PM.jpg

label.jpg

Knorp

And on a further note: selecting 135mm (F32) disables AF on my adapter.
But all in all: could be worse ... :)

The adapter works fine with even quite heavy lenses only requiring a little support.

fotografz

Mine is a quite recent purchase, and seems to perform better than a friend of mine that got one of the first pre-order ones a while ago ... then sold it.

This thing really increases the functional value of my existing M lenses which I normally use with a Leica MM. Makes for a nice little kit MM and Sony with shared lenses.

I had used the M lenses on the A7R-II with manual focusing (using focus mag), but tended to go for the Batis 25 and 85 for faster AF and LCD based shots lower and over-head ... now I'm not sure I'll keep the Zeiss FE lenses. The kicker is using my Leica M-21/1.4 without an aux viewfinder, and AF up close or while holding the camera overhead.

I suppose the real test will be longevity and how robustly it is made.

One wonders why Leica didn't make an option like this for the M ... some technical block perhaps?

- Marc

k-hawinkler

Do you mean for SL?
The TAP takes advantage of the AF logic of the A7r2 camera, no?

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have had one for quite sometime. I love it really is fun to use . Right now I only have the Zeiss ZM 35 1.4 for it . What a lens

k-hawinkler

So, is anyone else using the Techart AF M Adapter?

Got one recently and I've done a few no-brainer "tourist test" days with it on a Sony A7R-II using a M21/1.4 ASPH, M35/1.4 ASPH (pre FLE version), and a M75/2 AA.

So far I'm impressed, even though I'm not sure I'm using it correctly.:rolleyes:

Very interested in other people's experiences ... good or bad. Specifics would be helpful. Pics would be a bonus. :thumbs:

- Marc

I might take you up on that. :facesmack: Any other takers? :grin:

:worthless:

Knorp

I think they must have changed that in the latest firmware, as I get auto-focus with my 135mm, using the ƒ32 setting (per the chart above).
Hi Mike,

don't know - I'm running the latest firmware AFAIK (Ver 4.0 - Release Date: 5 Sept), but no joy.

Kind regards.

fotografz

I might take you up on that. :facesmack: Any other takers? :grin:

:worthless:
:ROTFL:

OkayDokey ... I'll brave it.

The day after the adapter was delivered I went to a big dog show supporting a local rescue organization. It was very crowded, and most of the subjects were at ground level:banghead:

Perfect "event" test of the AF abilities in conjunction with the A7R-II's tilting LCD (my old knees can't hack it anymore). I took my trusty M-35/1.4 ASPH (non-FLE), and M-75/2AA.

Because it was so crowded with humans most shots were with the 35mm, but I also shot a few with the 75mm to pick out subjects I couldn't get close to ... or in the case of the pet skunk image, didn't want to get close to:ROTFL:

Many of the shots would have been more difficult to pull off with my M rangefinder. The combination of the M lenses with micro-contrast and this sensor is pretty impressive. Now that I can focus faster and more accurately under duress, makes it a dream team ... at least so far.

- Marc

Here are a few from that first day_DSC3214.jpg_DSC3209.jpg_DSC3145.jpg_DSC3273.jpg_DSC3176.jpg

V

Vivek

>$15,000 worth of equipment to snap pets.

Awesome!:thumbs:

The bokeh is fabulous!

FWIW, I am waiting for the Fuji MF to do this sort of work. :ROTFL: