The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I will work on a BTS for this image to explain how I got the crazy idea to shoot a two-image stitch from the ship on a tripod. I never thought this would work, but it did with no apparent issues. From a morning in Paradise Bay, which is on the west coast of the Antarctic Peninsula. It is the right name for this bay.

Rodi 138f, Alpa STC, IQ4 150. Two image stitch shifted 18mm L/R.

Dave

Amazing! What was the shutter speed?

This picture reminds me of the most unlikely event in the history of photography (it was actually a movie). Shackleton and company are stranded on and antarctic island for two years. (I may have all the details wrong). Two of them row 800 miles to another island and get help. The rescue ship finally shows up and the guys on shore FILM THEIR ARRIVAL. They had kept the movie camera working and the film stock ok while surviving antarctic winters. THAT is dedication to your gear!

dchew

I love this shot- it is a home run. Two things to say- I appreciate how much work it took to get there and make this happen. Secondly, I am really liking the 138 lens . I just upgraded my system with an order for the 90mm HR SW- that will have to do for now.
Thank you! I should warn you that the more you use the 138, the more every scene looks like it needs 138mm; it is addictive. The 90mm is at worst very nearly as good, and essentially the same. I am sure you will enjoy that as well.

Ciao,
Dave

dchew

Amazing! What was the shutter speed?

This picture reminds me of the most unlikely event in the history of photography (it was actually a movie). Shackleton and company are stranded on and antarctic island for two years. (I may have all the details wrong). Two of them row 800 miles to another island and get help. The rescue ship finally shows up and the guys on shore FILM THEIR ARRIVAL. They had kept the movie camera working and the film stock ok while surviving antarctic winters. THAT is dedication to your gear!
Thank you, Matt. 1/320, which of course helped a whole lot. I looked back, and the slowest I found in all the raw images was 1/100. I was shooting at 100 ISO. The thing I was most worried about was broader movement between the two images being stitched. I think the global scan takes something like 0.4 seconds, plus the time it takes me to move the back from left to right, plus the time for 2-second delay. Reviewing the time stamps, there was usually 5 seconds between images. This is why I like the Alpa camera bodies: the ability to disconnect the geared mechanism and slide the back across the whole range in < second.

As for Shackleton, Frank Hurley was the photographer and one of my heroes. There is a book I highly recommend, The Endurance. This version has 170 of Hurley's photographs. Not only is it a good read; it doubles as a coffee table book. Every time I think I'm "roughing it" I think of this group being stuck in Antarctica for 20 months in 1915, and Hurley having the drive not just to continuously photograph, but to take care of his glass plates. Humbling thought.

Dave

dj may

Thank you, Matt. 1/320, which of course helped a whole lot. I looked back, and the slowest I found in all the raw images was 1/100. I was shooting at 100 ISO. The thing I was most worried about was broader movement between the two images being stitched. I think the global scan takes something like 0.4 seconds, plus the time it takes me to move the back from left to right, plus the time for 2-second delay. Reviewing the time stamps, there was usually 5 seconds between images. This is why I like the Alpa camera bodies: the ability to disconnect the geared mechanism and slide the back across the whole range in < second.

As for Shackleton, Frank Hurley was the photographer and one of my heroes. There is a book I highly recommend, The Endurance. This version has 170 of Hurley's photographs. Not only is it a good read; it doubles as a coffee table book. Every time I think I'm "roughing it" I think of this group being stuck in Antarctica for 20 months in 1915, and Hurley having the drive not just to continuously photograph, but to take care of his glass plates. Humbling thought.

Dave
Great book. If I remember correctly, it was Shackleton, who insisted that the glass plates be preserved.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Great book. If I remember correctly, it was Shackleton, who insisted that the glass plates be preserved.
I picture Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay arriving at the summit of Mt. Everest and there's Shackleton with a camera. In response to the shocked mountaineers unasked question, he shrugs and says "I've had worse."

Geoff

Taking, keeping and then trekking those glass plates ... very humbling. Not to mention the personal difficulties/heroism of this entire adventure.

Bonato

Dave

Hi,

could you please tell me , if the cambo 35 xl SK works on the XT camera and IQ4 150 ? or I need a X Shutter Lens ?

thank you

dchew

If you have the right Cambo mount, I think the lens would work fine. You would either have to use electronic shutter on the IQ4 150 or connect the sync cable and use the Copal shutter.

Dave

Last edited:

diggles

Hi,

could you please tell me , if the cambo 35 xl SK works on the XT camera and IQ4 150 ? or I need a X Shutter Lens ?

thank you
i can confirm what @dchew said. last year I demo’d the xt with the iq4150. it does work with cambo wrs mount lenses. i used it with the schneider 35xl, 72l, and 90n. electronic shutter.

dchew

and no problems with ISO ?
You can change it on the back as normal, either via the Camera Controls screen or during Live View. I haven't used an XT, but I am pretty sure changing ISO is the same experience no matter what shutter you have.

Without the XT shutter, I think the only difference is f-stop. You can still set it on the digital back, but you have to also do it manually on the lens aperture unless you have the XT shutter. I do bother to set it on the back. That way it is stored in the exif data and Capture One's Diffraction tool works.

Dave

Greg Haag

Mesquite Flat Dunes is one of my favorite places to be at sunset in Death Valley. I am usually shooting in the opposite direction at sunset because it is more dramatic, but if I put my camera down to just enjoy the experience of being there this is were I normally look. There is something about the soft light on the sand and the last bit of light on the mountains that I find captivating

Cambo 1600 IQ4 150 Rodenstock 90 (2 image pan)
P0003566-Pano-Edit.jpg