The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The 400mm

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Now I really would like to get back to sports photography. Since I would have to sell my car to buy it, this would technically then become my walkaround lens, wouldn't it?

Look at one of the rugby portraits at dpreview, the guy standing in the rain. That's just insane.

Swissblad

First lens I've seen that comes with a warning that it shouldn't be used by individuals with pacemakers....especially those who collapsed after seeing their CC bill.....:ROFLMAO:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Oh, that seems the going rate for modern long wide aperture lenses, give or take a few thousand dollars. I think the most impressive images are those of it being hand-held :).

Darin Marcus

I was looking forward to Nikon using voice coil AF motors in Z lenses after learning that they used one in the 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6. Glad to see that more of what they learned from their first mirrorless system is put to good use in the Z system. And now they have an improved version that is both silky and swift :cool:

This is the second Z lens to use an SR element (after the 70-200 f/2.8) and the first to use a new coating (Meso Amorphous) with even smaller particles than Nano / ARNEO. Some very nice samples on the Nikon USA page linked to by Jorgen.

All in all a great lens release by Nikon.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Wish I was still in Florida . Uses for a 400mm F2.8 with a tele converter .

(1) Polo at the Palm Beach Internationation Polo Club . Free on the field allowed . Season now threw April . US Open late March . Ideal lenses 400 or 600 ..must be wide aperture to isolate horse and rider .

(2) Surfing ...Use Juno Beach Pier to get out parallel to surfers . Use Surfline weather reports to know when to go . Probably only 10 really good days per season . 400 /2.8 is ideal lens . Teleconverter to get 560 useful . Surfer girls on the beach !

(3) Spring Training MLB at Roger Dean Stadium . They allowed 400 or 600 with a standing room only ticket . Shoot the batter from Right Field .. Shoot home plate for better seats which are always open after an hour because those seats are really hot . The owners leave on a sunny day .

(4) Auto Racing ....Sebring is close to most everything . 400 or 600 from plenty of spots . Go on warm up days to avoid race crowds . Porsche Club has good races but Sebring cars are better subjects . Vintage races as well . Ferrari event in January at Palm Beach International Race Track .

(5) Birds ....too many paces to list . Everglades for example .

Now in Atlanta with my three grandkids . Fewer opportunities and way more distractions .

(1) Little League Baseball ..shot 18 games last season ...

(2) Nearby Professional Race track ... Petit LeMan and the Mitty are big races .

They most important aspect of gear is matching it to its intended usage . Then I decide what aspects of the gear are important to me . All of the above require AF tracking and I can t wait to get my Z9 ..even through my D5 is quite excellent . Next I look at my prime lens for each event . The 400mm is the most versatile allow having a 600 is better for some applications . I am guessing the 1.4x dedicated to the 400/2.8 will cover me .

Add in a 70-200/2.8 and 1.4 X plus a wide angle probably a 28/1.8 and I could cover all those events to Professional standards .

YES the 400/2.8 is on order .

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Or the St Petersburg Grand Prix (on Feb 27th)... where they allow you as non-press (or press outside of designated press areas) to bring a lens of up to 10" in length. The 500 PF is... ta da, 9.4" without a hood (if anyone shows up with a measuring tape I'll just remove the hood). All the big teles will easily exceed the limit. Also, outside of press areas you can't set up a tripod, for obvious reasons. Only wish I actually had brought the 300 PF, but the 70-200 S + 1.4x is not half bad (just a bit clunky).

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I understand you are near Ding Darling wildlife Preserve .. I used to shoot there years ago with manual Leica SLR and the Leica 400mm lens using K64 . Now that was a challenge . Now you can use a Z9 and this new 400mm lens .