The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

• Recently, there has been an increased activity from spammers, which may result in you receiving unwanted private messages. We are working hard to limit this activity.

The great tripod & head thread!

Joe Colson

Damn you Dante..!
You guys are in an exclusive level of Dante's inferno. But you're still subject to temperature checks when entering. ;)

HOT PLACE.jpg

At this stage of my life, I'm looking for ways to lighten my load, so I have a Peak Design Travel Tripod and a Novoflex with removable legs. Both support either my Fuji GFX 100S or Sony a1 when necessary. Otherwise, IBIS and OIS are my friends.

Joe

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
You guys are in an exclusive level of Dante's inferno. But you're still subject to temperature checks when entering. ;)

View attachment 186730

At this stage of my life, I'm looking for ways to lighten my load, so I have a Peak Design Travel Tripod and a Novoflex with removable legs. Both support either my Fuji GFX 100S or Sony a1 when necessary. Otherwise, IBIS and OIS are my friends.

Joe
Joe,

IBIS, high ISO, and no long exposures were my defenses against tripods. Now I just want to get the sucker up high. I'm not aware of anyway to get to 8 feet or more other than a drone or the Giant. (Light stand?)

Matt

docholliday

I'm not aware of anyway to get to 8 feet or more other than a drone or the Giant. (Light stand?)

Matt
As much as I like the Giant and have used it in the past... I cheated on my last production shoot that required height. I used a 22' ladder and attached a SuperClamp to the top rung. The ultimate "Giant" was shooting out of a bucket truck with SuperClamp on the bucket, locked, with outriggers down. The fiberglass arm's "vibration absorption" was surpisingly well, but it was definitely a heavy tripod to "carry". ;)

Superclamp to support, Kupo ballhead plate to pin, AS Z1 on plate, safety cable to second superclamp. Fired camera via Pocketwizard once back on ground to prevent inducing shake or movement from being on the support.

MGrayson

As much as I like the Giant and have used it in the past... I cheated on my last production shoot that required height. I used a 22' ladder and attached a SuperClamp to the top rung. The ultimate "Giant" was shooting out of a bucket truck with SuperClamp on the bucket, locked, with outriggers down. The fiberglass arm's "vibration absorption" was surpisingly well, but it was definitely a heavy tripod to "carry". ;)
That reminds me of the "Car Talk" where the space shuttle called in about a vibration problem at 15,000 MPH.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Is that a kit, or do you just get feet for the slightly larger fifth tube? I took the feet off of a 4553, but those should be the same diameter as the 6th tube of the giant.

Oh, let me guess. The long spike kit comes with its own leg ends?
It was a kit from Gitzo a long time ago.

I hated the gitzo long spikes as they'd forever come off. The RRS tripods and spikes are much better. The giant I moved to the Gitzo combination spike/rubber foot that you can adjust as needed.

Last edited:

Shashin

Joe,

IBIS, high ISO, and no long exposures were my defenses against tripods. Now I just want to get the sucker up high. I'm not aware of anyway to get to 8 feet or more other than a drone or the Giant. (Light stand?)

Matt
I have used a monopod and a simple tilt head--just one movement. You can brace the leg against your torso for stability. With film cameras, I had a really long extension cable: digital is easier. The monopod is easier to handle than a tripod.

MGrayson

The persistent backorder of the Giant gave me another (cheaper and lighter) idea. The 3543xl goes to 79" and the rapid column adds another 17". This is a foot short of the giant, a foot taller than the RRS TVC-45, weighs just over 6 lbs, and can be easily set up by one person. The point is, I'm shooting wide, so stability isn't my issue. Height is. It's certainly more stable than holding the camera up over my head on a pole!

I'll let you know how it works.

-Matt

Last edited:

MGrayson

I have used a monopod and a simple tilt head--just one movement. You can brace the leg against your torso for stability. With film cameras, I had a really long extension cable: digital is easier. The monopod is easier to handle than a tripod.
The RRS 1 closed up is pretty much a monopod. But I'd really like a hands-free tethered (wired or wireless) solution.

docholliday

The persistent backorder of the Giant gave me another (cheaper and lighter) idea. The 3543xl goes to 79" and the rapid column adds another 17". This is a foot short of the giant, a foot taller than the RRS TVC-45, weighs just over 6 lbs, and can be easily set up by one person. The point is, I'm shooting wide, so stability isn't my issue. Height is. It's certainly more stable than holding the camera up over my head on a pole!

I'll let you know how it works.

-Matt
There happens to be a 5561SGT over on FM for < $900 right now...

usm

Thoughts about the small Novoflex option: https://www.novoflex.de/de/triopod-...mit-kompakten-5-segmentigen-carbonbeinen.html

I would use it with a ArcaSwiss P0 Hybrid and a Factum+CFVII50C+ a small lens.
It’s a 2kg package.
Legs and Head a 1.5 kg package with a max height of about 120 cm and packed size of 42 cm. The last segment is 10mm!!

I have the long Aluminum legs already but they are heavy and very long for carrying around.

As a alternative I think about the 4 segments compact legs, they are in between my long 3 Segments and the short 5 segments legs. Packed size would be 53cm. The weight is 500g lighter than the Aluminium legs but also 500g heavier than the small Travel legs.

robmac

We use the Novo compact and the Pro75 with a gripped GFX and H5D-40 and love them. we also picked up a set of short legs. The construction is top-notch and the modularity makes the system exceptionally flexible and packing much easier. The ability to whip a leg off for use as a monopod can also come in handy.

Thoughts about the small Novoflex option: https://www.novoflex.de/de/triopod-...mit-kompakten-5-segmentigen-carbonbeinen.html

I would use it with a ArcaSwiss P0 Hybrid and a Factum+CFVII50C+ a small lens.
It’s a 2kg package.
Legs and Head a 1.5 kg package with a max height of about 120 cm and packed size of 42 cm. The last segment is 10mm!!

I have the long Aluminum legs already but they are heavy and very long for carrying around.

As a alternative I think about the 4 segments compact legs, they are in between my long 3 Segments and the short 5 segments legs. Packed size would be 53cm. The weight is 500g lighter than the Aluminium legs but also 500g heavier than the small Travel legs.