The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

nameBrandon

Out of curiosity, how do you all take something like a larger Gitzo series 4/5 tripod that only folds down to 29" or so on an airplane? I guess it might fit in some really big luggage piece, but if it was just myself traveling, I probably wouldn't have very much/large luggage.

Clearly this is why travel tripods exist, but curious what one does if they're not willing to compromise on the tripod.. Travel bag for the tripod and check it as luggage?

Last edited:

dchew

Out of curiosity, how do you all take something like a larger Gitzo series 4/5 tripod that only folds down to 29" or so on an airplane? I guess it might fit in some really big luggage piece, but if it was just myself traveling, I probably wouldn't have very much/large luggage.

Clearly this is why travel tripods exist, but curious what one does if they're not willing to compromise on the tripod.. Travel bag for the tripod and check it as luggage?
Whenever I travel with a tripod I check a bag. It is the primary criteria for the size of checked luggage I buy. Roller bag duffels are my goto for checked luggage because they are longer in general. I am not willing to use a tripod shorter than a 24L.
Dave

nameBrandon

Whenever I travel with a tripod I check a bag. It is the primary criteria for the size of checked luggage I buy. Roller bag duffels are my goto for checked luggage because they are longer in general. I am not willing to use a tripod shorter than a 24L.
Dave
I don't have any roller duffles, didn't even occur to me. Great solution!

Not taking anything shorter than a 24L? I like your style, sir. :cool:

Godfrey

I have carried-on tripods up to 30" long when folded in a tripod bag, it becomes my "personal item".

However, my Feisol CT3442 legs fold to 19 x 5" and fit in my usual carry-on rollaway if I think I need a large, tall tripod, and the PD Travel Tripod is smaller than that, only 16 x 3.5" folded in its case, and fits into even my small backpack. I only very rarely need more than one of these two tripods for anything: they do a fine job for my photography with even my heaviest, largest, longest-lensed kit (Hasselblad 500CM + Sonnar 150mm + CFVII 50c).

While I admire you guys who go traipsing off into the mountains and woods, setting up gear in driving wind and lashing rain storms on steep slopes adjacent to the precipice, I'm not a landscape photographer: it's not my thing to do it... :)

G

dchew

Here is one example, but there are countless other brands and sizes:
I try to find ones that are not too heavy, but that is a problem with roller duffels. 10 lbs is pretty typical for this size. This is the largest one I have because I might have boots, tripod(s), ice axe, trekking poles, tent, etc. For trips in the wheelhouse of what Godfrey described above. :D

I also have this one, which is half the weight and still holds a 24L if you remove the head:

Dave

nameBrandon

While I admire you guys who go traipsing off into the mountains and woods, setting up gear in driving wind and lashing rain storms on steep slopes adjacent to the precipice, I'm not a landscape photographer: it's not my thing to do it... :)
No traipsing necessary.. I bought a "project" SUV and did a bunch of off-road modifications to support my landscape photography efforts.. :) Gets me most of the way there!

216447656_800263839544_2724778383021785946_n.jpg

Here is one example, but there are countless other brands and sizes:
I try to find ones that are not too heavy, but that is a problem with roller duffels. 10 lbs is pretty typical for this size. This is the largest one I have because I might have boots, tripod(s), ice axe, trekking poles, tent, etc. For trips in the wheelhouse of what Godfrey described above. :D

I also have this one, which is half the weight and still holds a 24L if you remove the head:
Fantastic, thank you!!

anyone

No traipsing necessary.. I bought a "project" SUV and did a bunch of off-road modifications to support my landscape photography efforts.. :) Gets me most of the way there!
Now that's a whole new level of photography-related GAS!

To be not completely offtopic: most of my work with a tech cam I do with a series 3 Gitzo. The series 5 I use almost exclusively with long lenses. And sometimes I even take a Gitzo series 1 with the tech cam, if it has little wind.

Godfrey

Sounds like Brett Weston ... I think it was him who said that if a viewpoint to shoot from was more than 20 yards from where he could park the car, it simply wasn't interesting enough. ;)

G

docholliday

Sounds like Brett Weston ... I think it was him who said that if a viewpoint to shoot from was more than 20 yards from where he could park the car, it simply wasn't interesting enough. ;)

G
It's not that it's not interesting...you just don't have enough assistants (the truly functional camera bags)!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm a hand-held shooter 99% of the time. But the more I think about the LF photographers I've seen, the more I realize how much their PoV mattered, and why so many had stepladders next to their very tall tripods. (AA had a platform on top of his car!)

nameBrandon

I'm a hand-held shooter 99% of the time. But the more I think about the LF photographers I've seen, the more I realize how much their PoV mattered, and why so many had stepladders next to their very tall tripods. (AA had a platform on top of his car!)
I'm driving out to Colorado in a month, and then driving out to Glacier National Park in Montana in September for a photo tour, will definitely be shooting from the top of the car when I spot good shots from the roadside.

docholliday

Damn you Dante..!

Gitzo Series 5 (GT5543XLS ), bowl, gitzo leveler, and Arca Swiss L75 ordered.. Tripod family portrait coming up later in the week.
The GT55xx may seem heavy and bulky at first, but you'll really enjoy working with it...especially when you see the results as a 3-6' print, you'll know it was worth every penny. Despite the seemingly large amount of hate in general for Gitzo in lieu of Sirui and Benro, there is a certain amount of satisfaction knowing that if you get shake, it's not the support platform. As a production shooter, the piece of mind is having one less piece to worry or think about. Congrats on your new family member!

anyone

The GT55xx may seem heavy and bulky at first, but you'll really enjoy working with it...especially when you see the results as a 3-6' print, you'll know it was worth every penny. Despite the seemingly large amount of hate in general for Gitzo in lieu of Sirui and Benro, there is a certain amount of satisfaction knowing that if you get shake, it's not the support platform.
The series 5 is actually not that heavy, just a bit bulky due to the large leg diameter and also the larger top plate.

docholliday

The series 5 is actually not that heavy, just a bit bulky due to the large leg diameter and also the larger top plate.
I know...I own a GT5541. I don't think it's bulky nor heavy. But, most people tend to compare it to the typical consumer-weight tripod and swear that it's really heavy. My "travel" tripod is a GT3542L and that's about the lightest I'd every carry or use. And, when I'd go out with an 8x10, it was still lighter than the camera itself!

nameBrandon

The GT55xx may seem heavy and bulky at first, but you'll really enjoy working with it...especially when you see the results as a 3-6' print, you'll know it was worth every penny. Despite the seemingly large amount of hate in general for Gitzo in lieu of Sirui and Benro, there is a certain amount of satisfaction knowing that if you get shake, it's not the support platform. As a production shooter, the piece of mind is having one less piece to worry or think about. Congrats on your new family member!
Ultimately, that's what pushed me in this direction. I had looked at some other (relatively) comparable tripods but the theme I kept running into in research was that Gitzo was worth it in the end. Hopefully this is a 'buy once, cry once' situation!

Mexecutioner

I know...I own a GT5541. I don't think it's bulky nor heavy. But, most people tend to compare it to the typical consumer-weight tripod and swear that it's really heavy. My "travel" tripod is a GT3542L and that's about the lightest I'd every carry or use. And, when I'd go out with an 8x10, it was still lighter than the camera itself!
I agree, I have a GT5561SGT giant, I have taken it out on the field and it is not that heavy for me. The thing is a beast and crazy stable. I have smaller Gitzos that are more convenient for airline travel, but for the ultimate stability the giant always does the trick.