The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

Godfrey

Godfrey,
I have spare parts and pieces if you want them. NC just whatever shipping is.

Dave
thank you so much for the kind offer, Dave!
Id love to take you up on that, albeit that ive never taken one of these heads apart and dont really know hiw to start. Let me think about it a little bit and see if i can figure how to tear it down.
Thanks again!!
G

jng

thank you so much for the kind offer, Dave!
Id love to take you up on that, albeit that ive never taken one of these heads apart and dont really know hiw to start. Let me think about it a little bit and see if i can figure how to tear it down.
Thanks again!!
G
I think @dchew can provide step-by-step instructions for how to deconstruct the head (Sawzall not included). :ROFLMAO:

anyone

Does anyone use the Gitzo Traveler Series 0, GT0545T tripod with medium format? Is it stable enough?

How much does it actually weight with the short center column?

Greg Haag

Does anyone use the Gitzo Traveler Series 0, GT0545T tripod with medium format? Is it stable enough?

I had this tripod and did not find it stable enough except in ideal conditions, I replaced it with Really Right Stuff TFC-14 MK2 for when I need a lightweight tripod and have found it to be a much better solution for me.

KC_2020

That's the smallest Traveler series. It's 1.97 lbs. with the center column. I have the tall version of it, the GT1555 and it's pretty stable but I only use it for my Pinhole cameras and Rollei TLR. I wouldn't put a 500CM on it.

anyone

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the 0545 version! That was what I was afraid of. I own the 1545 and selected it back then as best compromise between weight and stability for me, but now I‘m trying to push the weight down even further for a multi day hike.

There were also before ultraligt tripods with smaller working heights in the Gitzo Mountaineer series, the 0531, 0530, and 0057. Does anyone have experiences with those?

Thank you!

Last edited:

dj may

Update on my new Gitzo GT5543XLS with Arca Swiss Core 75 Leveler.
So far, all my expectations have been met. The tripod is as stable as my Berlebach, with the added benefit of much greater height. This is what motivated me to buy it. I have yet to do a long exposure on a vibrating bridge, for the final test. This is where the Berlebach excels.

The Core 75 Leveler is much simpler to use than the RRS ballhead. Only one hand is required for adjustments. This is especially helpful when the camera is above my head. If I need extreme movement of the camera, I can use the Core 75 mounted to the ballhead.

2022-05-02 09.54.27.jpg
Colors of Ukraine in Switzerland
Meilen-S3019370-20220502-2.jpg
Leica S3, Super-Elmar-S 24

Last edited:

SylB

That's the smallest Traveler series. It's 1.97 lbs. with the center column. I have the tall version of it, the GT1555 and it's pretty stable but I only use it for my Pinhole cameras and Rollei TLR. I wouldn't put a 500CM on it.
I managed to use a GT1555 with Hasselblad H6D + HTS + lens with good results, but that was inside (churches, for example). I am not sure I would try in the field, and in this case certainly without extending the central column too much, and with the thinest final sections extended at half height. And that would be only if there is not noticeable wind.

Derek Katana

You need to check out ProMediaGear carbon fiber tripods Made in USA
I have tested all of them my favorite that I own are TR-344L 34 series 4 section that max hight is 71" that I use for wildlife and landscapes and its always in my car.
link below

My second tripod is TRS344

Which is also 4 section and its max high is 59" but this one Folded length: 20.8 inches which is my travel tripod which is as sturdy as the other one but this my its self fits in carryon on airplane.

my favorite ballhead is Promedia gear BH55

for wildlife and sticking Panorama I use Katana Pro Gimbal

along with. PXC2 on my Katana Pro

I also use leveling base on my TR344L foe easy fast set up to do stick panoramas now with this set up I ready to shoot stick panoramas in seconds not minutes.

here is the leveling base

But if someone wants the biggest and the most heavy duty tripod then

TR424L is the one which go up to 77" and legs as 42mm thick.

if you like Gitzo then you will love ProMediaGear tripods.

Rand47

I bought a ProMediaGear tripod and while it was beautifully made, I did not like the narrow leg angle. Too narrow. I also didn’t care for the knurled aluminum leg locks. They look beautiful, but are sub-optimal in actual use. Cold as heck in cold weather, too easily banged up. I ended up returning it after one outing with it. The real deal-breaker was the too narrow leg angle. After using other premium brands of tripods, the PMG felt less stable / tippy when working around it. I found this a real shame, because in all other respects it was a beautiful, well made, piece of gear.

Rand

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The infinitely adjustable (and VERY strong) leg angle locks on the Ries are one of its best features.
(Disclaimer: I have not used the Ries out in the field. I keep it as a work of art - and in case I ever go 8x10 :ROFLMAO:)

dj may

I never used Ries, however, I know several people that are very happy with it. I have used Berlebach for a long time and it is totally reliable and simple. I have used two Gitzos; now using GT5543XLS. Again, totally reliable and simple to use. I am very happy that I bought the XLS, which can reach almost 2 meters. I have yet to subject it to the environmental abuse (other than high wind) that the Berlebach withstood with flying colors.

Smoothjazz

I have a Ries tripod from my large format days; definitely heavier than my Gitzo 5 series tripod, and more cumbersome. I tested my Phase camera with Electronic Shutter mode, and did not see any difference in sharpnesses, so I prefer the carbon fiber tripods for landscape photography.

doccdiamond

Update on my new Gitzo GT5543XLS with Arca Swiss Core 75 Leveler.
So far, all my expectations have been met. The tripod is as stable as my Berlebach, with the added benefit of much greater height. This is what motivated me to buy it. I have yet to do a long exposure on a vibrating bridge, for the final test. This is where the Berlebach excels.

The Core 75 Leveler is much simpler to use than the RRS ballhead. Only one hand is required for adjustments. This is especially helpful when the camera is above my head. If I need extreme movement of the camera, I can use the Core 75 mounted to the ballhead.

View attachment 193954
Colors of Ukraine in Switzerland
View attachment 193955
Leica S3, Super-Elmar-S 24
Fully agreed! I use the exact similar combo for all my architectural shootings with the Alpa Plus. Works great but has a certain size and weight - of course. But even in full extension very well usable!

doccdiamond

How do you like the Cube? Is it worth the price, especially when a monorail camera is mounted on top?
Cube is nice but I decided for the Leveler 75. So compact! As I do mainly architecture the +-15° are good enough. If I need 90° I use a 90° adapter by Novoflex with Arca interface.