The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Journey to an M

dave.gt

Not just any M camera, certainly not a new digital M or an even a new M6. In fact the journey to an M replacement for me will not even be replacing my beloved big logo M6. No.

The prices are far too high for me.

In 2017, I sold all but a few inexpensive Nikon cameras that I knew would be desirable to use when I wanted to use 35mm format. The sale of my daily user cameras partially funded an enormous commitment to doing a long term pro bono project at the Emory University Rehabilitation Hospital that required a complete Medium Format system.
The acquisition was impossible on paper but we managed because it was a calling of sorts. The results were profound and I am forever grateful to those who participated and assisted us in making the project successful over an 18- month period of time.

Now, I will try to do a personal project, in 35mm film format. My heart is of course, in Medium Format… and it will forever remain there, but other considerations and plans are important, so I will now begin a long journey to replacing my favorite M that was sold six years ago.

M3
2D98A740-4E70-4855-98C8-E52DCF75FBD5.jpeg

This will take awhile to save up funds … a long time actually but it is far cheaper than a new or even a used M6. It is also a different experience.:)So, there is that, and of course a lens.:rolleyes:

So, I begin a long journey behind the scenes of daily activities, to another Leica M3. Finding a good one with a recent CLA will be a lot of work and require a bit of good fortune as well.

The Plan is to put my personal modest custom touches into a kit almost identical to the one shown but on a slightly different level.

How long will it take? It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things and it may never happen, but, it’s the journey that is important.:)

dave.gt

I just realized, my backup digital files are so scattered that I can’t easily find my processed files from the M3, so I will spend this week going through my negatives. :)

pegelli

Good luck Dave, I still have and use the M2 I bought second hand (or actually exchanged for a IIIf + some money) in 1978. Two years ago it got a CLA and new shutter curtains and despite it's age and a bit battered look it works like a charm. I hope your yourney will lead to finding a good M body, they're so much fun to use and you deserve to find the right one for the right price. :)

dave.gt

Good luck Dave, I still have and use the M2 I bought second hand (or actually exchanged for a IIIf + some money) in 1978. Two years ago it got a CLA and new shutter curtains and despite it's age and a bit battered look it works like a charm. I hope your yourney will lead to finding a good M body, they're so much fun to use and you deserve to find the right one for the right price. :)
Thanks so much, I have a personal project to start with no scheduled “begin” date as of yet. So, there will be plenty of time to find a good M3. :)

dave.gt

This time around I will be saving up for a Summilux lens… 35? 50? Not sure yet.
The 50 Lux V1 (chrome) is my first choice.

I have a freezer full of slide film so…. and yes, I have paired my favorite black and white films with my favorite EI and developers. Yes, this will be a “forever” Leica kit. One camera, one lens, one project all coming together at such a late stage in my life. Can’t wait! :)

(A side note: Would a nice M2 work as well? Or an M4? I am most comfortable with an M3… It depends on what I find available as this year evolves. In the meantime, the amazing Leica S 006 is the creative choice each and every day.)

Knorp

This time around I will be saving up for a Summilux lens… 35? 50? Not sure yet.
The 50 Lux V1 (chrome) is my first choice.

I have a freezer full of slide film so…. and yes, I have paired my favorite black and white films with my favorite EI and developers. Yes, this will be a “forever” Leica kit. One camera, one lens, one project all coming together at such a late stage in my life. Can’t wait! :)

(A side note: Would a nice M2 work as well? Or an M4? I am most comfortable with an M3… It depends on what I find available as this year evolves. In the meantime, the amazing Leica S 006 is the creative choice each and every day.)
Note: the M3 has no 35 framelines, only 50, 90, 135

algrove

Dave
I understand your need for this plan.

Another cost effective consideration is to go for a real old M where the bodies are way under $1k. Then one can add an LTM wide angle lens where almost everything is in focus at a decent f stop. For old 5cm LTM lenses the Summer f2 is about the fastest 50 I now know of, but there might be others. Of course there is the 7.3cm f1.9, but its not a 5cm.

So a decent body and f2 lens could cost $800-900. Something to consider since it could get you back into film faster with a later step up to M2/3 and a 50 lux. Plus it might start to empty out that freezer faster.

Last edited:

algrove

I also just looked in an old repair manual detailing each part and part numbers in German and English. No mention of weights.

I just happened to think that when the first Leica was introduced to the public many pros in the 1920's thought it was a piece of crap since its negative was so very small compared to their large glass plates. So Leica started exhibiting large prints (I think 20x30cm?) from negatives taken with the Leica. This was important since many pro's back then printed to the size of the glass plate. But since they were trying to market to women besides men back then it seems weight would have been an important selling point.

I just know my old (1931) LTM 1C is very light at 12.5 oz. Even with the venerable (back then) 5cm f3.5 it is just a bit over 16.5oz. Wow, a 4oz lens that works!

How does it feel. Well the body is just a bit thicker than a roll of film so it is very thin feeling. It is about the same width as an M11 even though a little over an inch shorter in height. Heck an M lens of today weighs more than the entire 1C with 5cm lens attached.

dave.gt

Note: the M3 has no 35 framelines, only 50, 90, 135
Yeah, but… A lack of frame lines on a M never stopped me. There are work-arounds for the M3 having used mine for the better part of a decade.

That is why I prefer the 50.

dave.gt

I also just looked in an old repair manual detailing each part and part numbers in German and English. No mention of weights.

I just happened to think that when the first Leica was introduced to the public many pros in the 1920's thought it was a piece of crap since its negative was so very small compared to their large glass plates. So Leica started exhibiting large prints (I think 20x30cm?) from negatives taken with the Leica. This was important since many pro's back then printed to the size of the glass plate. But since they were trying to market to women besides men back then it seems weight would have been an important selling point.

I just know my old (1931) LTM 1C is very light at 12.5 oz. Even with the venerable (back then) 5cm f3.5 it is just a bit over 16.5oz. Wow, a 4oz lens that works!

How does it feel. Well the body is just a bit thicker than a roll of film so it is very thin feeling. It is about the same width as an M11 even though a little over an inch shorter in height. Heck an M lens of today weighs more than the entire 1C with 5cm lens attached.
Thanks,
It may be that I will start with a replacement for my old IIIC, and a CV screw mount lens to start work on that film in the freezer. I’m not getting any younger!:)

dave.gt

I've only used an M2. How do the different M film cameras feel?
As I recall, the M2 0.72 Viewfinder is not the same experience as the M3 at 0.91. The M3 if in good condition, has a fantastic VF.
M3 aesthetics are arguably “nicer”, and they both weigh close the same weight, in the 570-580 range. I don’t think there is a difference in build quality.

So… it’s a toss up for me mostly, but the M6 VF was not nearly as nice as the M3.

dave.gt

My posting is usually hit or miss with constant interruptions so I apologize for any ambiguities. Can’t blame the stupid iPhone for that!:(

Anyway, I have never been able to actually own more than two lenses for my M cameras in the past. I had a 28mm Ultron CV lens and the Leica Summarit 1.5.

I never got along with the 28mm but I did manage a nice book published around 2015, though. It was a good lens but not a 50. Sometimes I would use a hot shoe-mount 28mm viewfinder. Sometimes I just used the VF edges to estimate frame coverage, annd sometimes I would shoot wider and cropped later as desired.

I used a friend’s 35mm Cron numerous times and I liked it better. But no clip on VF for me… cropping all the way. And it was fun.

But, a trip to Savannah in 2013 convinced me that the 35mm Lux (my friend and shooting buddy at the time) was the best experience because the early morning light, diffused on the riverfront, gave the most gorgeous colors and softer OOF I always wanted! I have yet to equal that. I still prefer a 50 overall, but I could be happy with a 35!

algrove

The new 35/1.4 (and I know that is not a consideration) has a very smooth bokeh which makes the also new APO 35 much more sterile feeling. The VM Ultra Classic Design 35/2 has an older lens look to its images even on an M10R. Then there is the LLL 35/2.0.

dave.gt

Wow! These are beautiful! That M9 sensor and that lens are a great match!:D Just as I thought it would be! Love these! Thanks so much for posting these!

Hmmmm… I never was able to get that elusive M9. Another missed opportunity!

So, this poses another question to ponder… if I start shooting the old slide film ((E100, etc) in the freezer, which does very well by the way, how will that lens render final images?

Oh the possibilities, which makes this a fun run-up to my personal project!:)