The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Laowa 6mm – this is significant

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have been wanting a lens wider than 7mm for a while, mostly due to my work with yacht interiors. Venus Lens/Laowa apparently heard my prayers and launched their 6mm for MFT. For now, it's only available as a cine lens. Hopefully, a stills version with electronics will arrive before too long.

What I've seen so far from this lens is extremely impressive. One thing is the sharpness, but the almost total lack of distortion is amazing. F/2.0 helps also.

pinkf

In a youtube review you can see this mft cine lens has a very strong vignatting with f2.1 but even at f16!
I hope there will come a Photoshop plug-in to reset this.
Otherwise this lens is not usable for stills photo's

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
In a youtube review you can see this mft cine lens has a very strong vignatting with f2.1 but even at f16!
I hope there will come a Photoshop plug-in to reset this.
Otherwise this lens is not usable for stills photo's
There is such a thing as manual vignetting correction in ACR. You can also make your own presets.

iiiNelson

There is such a thing as manual vignetting correction in ACR. You can also make your own presets.
The problem with this is that often you need individual corrections based on distance to the subject as many lenses exhibit various aberrations and flaws independent to focus distance. Lens manufacturers usually account for this within the electronic communication for the lens to the camera.

Ultimately there’s rarely free lunch and there’s a reason optically corrected premium lenses tend to cost a lot more compared to computer aided lens designs.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The problem with this is that often you need individual corrections based on distance to the subject as many lenses exhibit various aberrations and flaws independent to focus distance. Lens manufacturers usually account for this within the electronic communication for the lens to the camera.

Ultimately there’s rarely free lunch and there’s a reason optically corrected premium lenses tend to cost a lot more compared to computer aided lens designs.
The 6mm in the available cine version has no electrical contacts, so no automatic correction. It must be rather well optically corrected.

Bytesmiths

I have been wanting a lens wider than 7mm for a while, mostly due to my work with yacht interiors.
Have you considered de-fishing a fisheye to get the coverage you need?

This is not de-fished, but you can get a lot of "yacht interior" into a full-frame fisheye!

(My fisheye yacht interior imagess did not make it for some reason…)

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Have you considered de-fishing a fisheye to get the coverage you need?

This is not de-fished, but you can get a lot of "yacht interior" into a full-frame fisheye!
I'm doing that sometimes, as I own the excellent Zuiko 8mm fisheye. DXO PureRAW actually does it automatically when lens correction is on. The problem is the framing. It's difficult to figure out what I will actually see in the final, processed photo, and that is very important when shooting interiors. There's also some perspective distortion after de-fishing (lines are straight but perspective remains distorted around the edges), which the Laowa seems to be remarkably free of.

f6cvalkyrie

For me, the solution is stitching ... you can do it in LR or in Capture One (which I use) ... or use specialty software ... suits all my needs for superwide ...

Stay safe,
Rafael