The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thinking about GFX

jwest

How is actually the AF-performance of the GFX, e.g. with adapted Canon EF long lenses ? Maybe that would solve the problem of having a high-res medium format camera AND long lenses, even though it might require to fall back to the crop mode.
I am into my first month of testing and learning a new GFX 100s with several Canon EF lenses. I have also the dedicated Fujinon 32-64/4 which is actually quite nice in all respects though lens OIS would make it even better.

The EF lenses tested so far are:
TSE 17 works great though unsurprisingly vignettes when trying to also use the Fotodiox superwide polarizer designed for perfect use on 35mm
TSE 24 works great and even allows the "EW" CPL. Apparently Schneider discontinued all of those super cool EW "extra wide" CPL which have a much larger front glass than whatever thread size they are onto. I have the EW CPL 72, 77, 82, 86 and used to use them on my 4x5 view lenses but they are also perfect for the TSE 24,50,90

TSE 50 and 90 so sharp and plenty of shift with some to spare.

24-70/4 IS vignettes in a lot of it's range but combined with the IBIS I can get 1/4 shutter. Ironically I could get a 1/4 often on the Mamiya 7 as well with the shorter lenses in the glory days.
16-35/4 IS covers the sensor from about 20 up.

70-200/2.8 II vignettes whole range except right at 200.... until you add the 1.4x and then it covers through the whole zoom range ! Plus, to get back to the look of that zoom range, the 1.4 helps anyway resulting in more-or-less a 10% increase in the 35mm equivalent.

300/2.8 II covers fine but it's lovely on the GFX 100s with the 1.4 or 2x. It also is an interesting thing to add the 2x III onto the back of a 2x II for a resulting 35 EQ of about 960 mm and can even be held for a minute with the lens OIS + IBIS though a monopod could help. I don't bother with a mono, I just use a real tripod if I'm going to carry something.

anyone

I am into my first month of testing and learning a new GFX 100s with several Canon EF lenses. I have also the dedicated Fujinon 32-64/4 which is actually quite nice in all respects though lens OIS would make it even better.

The EF lenses tested so far are:
TSE 17 works great though unsurprisingly vignettes when trying to also use the Fotodiox superwide polarizer designed for perfect use on 35mm
TSE 24 works great and even allows the "EW" CPL. Apparently Schneider discontinued all of those super cool EW "extra wide" CPL which have a much larger front glass than whatever thread size they are onto. I have the EW CPL 72, 77, 82, 86 and used to use them on my 4x5 view lenses but they are also perfect for the TSE 24,50,90

TSE 50 and 90 so sharp and plenty of shift with some to spare.

24-70/4 IS vignettes in a lot of it's range but combined with the IBIS I can get 1/4 shutter. Ironically I could get a 1/4 often on the Mamiya 7 as well with the shorter lenses in the glory days.
16-35/4 IS covers the sensor from about 20 up.

70-200/2.8 II vignettes whole range except right at 200.... until you add the 1.4x and then it covers through the whole zoom range ! Plus, to get back to the look of that zoom range, the 1.4 helps anyway resulting in more-or-less a 10% increase in the 35mm equivalent.

300/2.8 II covers fine but it's lovely on the GFX 100s with the 1.4 or 2x. It also is an interesting thing to add the 2x III onto the back of a 2x II for a resulting 35 EQ of about 960 mm and can even be held for a minute with the lens OIS + IBIS though a monopod could help. I don't bother with a mono, I just use a real tripod if I'm going to carry something.
Thank you for sharing your experiences! How is the image quality at the borders /in the corners with the 70-200 2.8 II + 1,4x III?

Last edited:

dchew

Update: So far I have:
100s
32-64
100-200
1.4 tc

I can fit the 45 + 100-200 + tc in my standard small-pro ICU. That might end up being my small kit without a tripod. Although I could swap the 32-64 for the 45. It's just a bit big for walking around with that lens on. I probably should have the 35-70 instead but we will see. I am bringing everything in my larger pack with a large ICU so I can mix and match depending on the activity.

I am heading to Alaska tomorrow to visit with my Brother in Homer. This will be kind of a test run that includes some bush plane trips, kayaking, fishing and wildlife. See how it goes. Now if I could just find a resource on this menu system to get it set up for different shooting scenarios. It is a bit longer than the one that comes with an Alpa. :rolleyes:

Thank you all for your help.

Ciao,
Dave

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
You may want to test cropping verse using the extender . Have seen tests on YouTube that show you maybe better off cropping that 100MP file rather than using the extender .

Shooting sports with my Leica Sl2-S ...I sometimes go to an APS C setting to get a 1.5X effective field of view . Sure I throw away some pixels and with the SL2-S I only have 24MP to start . So I switched over to my SL2 and started with 47MPs .. had plenty of MPs for my usage . This made my 90-280 lens an effective 420FOV .

Its an approach that I had never considered .

ThdeDude

Harsh conditions killed most Canon DSLR on the trip ... Unfortunately this type of trip ... risk of failure .
For (true) arctic condition, NIKON FM2 (or equivalent), delubricated or lubricated for cold use (ditto lenses), supposedly the camera to use. Anything motor-powered (like motor drive), electronic, or battery means only trouble. (No personal experience, no affiliation.)

Last edited: