The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Three new Nikkor lenses

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
According to this thread at DP Review, the three new Nikkor lenses to be announced just prior to the PMA show are:

* PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED Tilt/Shift
* AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED
* Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

I guess the 24 tilt/shift will make a bunch of people happy but I'd talked myself into believing the rumors about the 28mm f/1.4 being re-released.

Bummer...

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I had hoped for upgraded fast primes such as AF-S 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4 and 300mm F/4 VR. But PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED Tilt/Shift and maybe even further tilt/shift lenses sounds really great. Thanks for the heads up, Jonathon.

jph

Unfair temptation. I had already talked myself out of selling my Canon gear to buy a D3... and now this. Not fair.
Jim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I want to switch out the 5D now to the D300 . Really been thinking about it , going to wait until after Moab and PMA though.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Guy, actually that was exactly my very first thought when I read Jonathons post about these Nikon T/S announcements: "Guy will be all over this" :)

LJL

Guy,
Are you really wanting to go to a 1.5x crop of the D300 from the full frame of the 5D? It will help a bit for longer glass, but will be more problematic for wide angle stuff, as you are well aware. Also, might be worth seeing just how good the pixel output is. Some folks are suggesting it is better than the D2Xs, but not quite on par with the 5D. Do let us know what you discover and what your thoughts are. Nikon has finally gotten things back to point of fielding some nice DSLRs and associated glass. I have been tempted, but I keep doing the math and just cannot see enough value moving from my Canons at this point.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea this is one of those coin toss issues. The d300 or the D3 maybe or just sit and wait. Than Olympus E3 firmware maybe able to take leica glass. i have to figure this all out before i jump in bed with someone. What makes the most sense is going to be interesting to see. Nice thing is i don't have to do anything. What I really want is a MF system but again that is a wait and see situation. What i really need is to follow a Bank truck and see what the hell falls out the back end.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

LJL

Yea this is one of those coin toss issues. The d300 or the D3 maybe or just sit and wait. Than Olympus E3 firmware maybe able to take leica glass. i have to figure this all out before i jump in bed with someone. What makes the most sense is going to be interesting to see. Nice thing is i don't have to do anything. What I really want is a MF system but again that is a wait and see situation. What i really need is to follow a Bank truck and see what the hell falls out the back end.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Guy,
Fully appreciate that perspective. Just saw the announcement by Sony that they are fabbing a new 24+MP FF chip that they may be building their own camera around, as well as shopping it to Nikon (See Rob Galbraith news items.) Could be interesting. I would have thought that Nikon would stick with their own design for something like the D3X and just have Sony fab it for them, but one never knows. It is only outputting 12-bit at this point, but still an awful lot of pixels.

As I commented before, it just seems like you might want a FF body over any 1.5x crop if you are looking for wider angle shooting with whatever lens you choose. The Leica glass holds its own nicely to the edges, so why not take advantage of that?

And if you do find a bank truck that drops some bags, give me a call.....I will be more than happy and helpful to get them carted off properly :ROTFL:

LJ

harmsr

Workshop Member
Nikon also showed prototypes of two other new lenses at PMA which they said would be released this year.

45 tilt & shift
85 tilt & shift

I'm very excited about the 45 tilt and shift which would work great for the type of product photography that I do.

These lenses are move both tilt and shift, plus rotate unlike the old Nikon PC lenses.

Best,

Ray

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Guy,

the E-3 with latest firmware already takes Leica R glass and can fully use the IS system of the E-3.

Having said that - I owned a E-3 for 2 months and sold it, because I had several AF problems, which could not be fixed. And on the FT Forums you will find lot of folks with similar issues in their E-3.

So while the E-3 seems to be a great tool when it really works, it is still not what I expect. And I find Nikon much better - especially since the D3 is here. Finally FF and for a reasonable price.

I doubt Leica will be able to come close to this price. And not sure about the overall standard of technology either. Nikon meanwhile have really evolved to a top system - especially in digital photography.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Guy, sorry; been away for a while (~3,000 images for a book; a forest shoot for John Deere, etc.).

Guy: do not waste the 24/3.5 TS on the D300. You need the D3. I have made over 5,000 images now and can say that IQ-wise, this sensor is at least the equal of the 5D. I will post more on the relevant thread.

Guy: look at me. You need the D3—FF is the only way to go with the 14–24/2.8 and the new TS. I have ordered mine already (the 24/3.5). cheers to all, kl