The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Travel tripod for a tech cam

ThdeDude

In backpacking there is lightweight, ultralight and stupid light.
"lightweight" is too heavy while "stupid light" is too lightweight, so "ultralight" is a good compromise.

Of course the real issue is what do these terms mean and now are they applied in a concrete and particular application. :LOL:

ThdeDude

My "ultralight" tripod/tripod head for backpacking/mountaineering is 3LT Brian & RRS BC-18. Max. height 72" and weight 2.65Ibs.

O.K. stability when center column is not too far extended and no severe weather conditions (wind).

anwarp

I use a Gitzo traveller series 2 with the arca P0 hybrid With my xf and cambo Actus.
if you want to fold it over completely, you need the gitzo head which fits between the legs.

Makten

Is size a concern, or only weight? I'd recommend a tripod that is tall enough without a center column, and with as few sections as possible. Then you will get maximum stability at a certain weight, but it will of course be bulkier (which might not be a problem when it's attached to a backpack anyway). Maybe a nivelling head is enough instead of a ball or geared head? Should save some weight too.

hotshoe

I use a Gitzo GT-3540XLS which is great for short hikes and drive-ups, but it's a lot to tote for longer hikes. On the plus side, it's very strong & stable and can be used as as a weapon should you cross paths with a mountain lion. (All joking aside, there have been times it's given me some peace of mind when I'm the only human around.) I also have a Gitzo GT-1540, which is great for hiking w/ a lightweight camera, but I wouldn't use it for a high res back mounted to a tech cam even though it can support the weight. It's not near as stable as the 3540 and, frankly, I don't see the point of hauling a small fortune in gear around only to have a tripod be a limiting factor. @MartinN summed it up very nicely -- "You have to choose your evil" (i.e., strong/stable vs lightweight). Should my 3450XLS ever break or I decide that I need something lighter, I'll prob look into the RSS as several others here have suggested. The Tripod TFC-24L Mkii @dchew suggested seems to be happy medium between the two I currently have. Anybody interest in buying a couple of Gitzos? :)

christ, how much???? lol
Yep, and most the RRS tripods are on backorder. A good tripod is a worthwhile investment. I've spend way more money on stupider things :p

For travel I use Novoflex' Triopod PRO75 system. The cool thing is that the legs can be detached and the platform can be folded flat.
This tripod really appeals to me, except for the weight.

Last edited:

JeffK

My unboxing of an ALPA/NovoFlex Triopod Pro 75. Check CI they have more. Also showing the height relative to my Systematic 5. Both are approx the same weight and the TP75 is ever so slightly higher. Both are great tripods. The appeal for me was being able to take the TP75 apart for packing.

Attachments

Makten

LeoFoto LS-284C
No, but I use the larger LS-323C (32 mm and 3 sections) and I think it's great for the money. If you think 28 mm stanchions @ 4 sections is stable enough, it will be a nice tripod for sure.
I would personally go for a slightly beefier tripod if you use a high resolution camera and/or longish lenses, but for stable ground and low wind, sort of anything will do. Also, don't forget that a decent head can cost a chunk of money. I use the Leofoto LH-36 and I should probably have gone with 40 instead, even if it performs well enough most of the time (GFX 50 with primes up to 200 mm, but mostly 30-110 mm).

Edit: The LS-323C with LH-36PCL (quick release on rotating plate) comes in at ~74 cm length and ~1860 grams. So while it's still pretty light, it's not very small. It doesn't have a center column though.
The tripod itself is actually exactly the same weight as the 284 with center column. 😃 Max height is almost the same too, 323 just being 2.5 cm shorter.

Last edited:

Derek Katana

Take a look at ProMediaGear carbon fiber tripods which are made in USA.

or

and here are the travel tripods

from 34 series I recommend TR 344L

from 42 series I recomend TR-424L

as trave tripod TrS344 which font in carry on case on airplane

ThdeDude

With the caveat that no 90 degree movement (and being rather very expensive), RRS's TFCT- ANVIL-30 ARC, https://tinyurl.com/wfv2k4et, could be potentially a good lightweight yet tall tripod. (No personal experience, no association.)

Number of Leg Sections: 4
Maximum Height: 71.1"/ 181cm
Weight: 5.50lbs/ 2495g

Last edited:

vieri

I use the RRS TFC-34, its relatively lightweight and compact. Prior to that I used Gitzo GT3533LS, it was just a bit heavier and bulkier, much prefer my new setup.

Series 3 4-Leg Sections MK2 Fixed Apex - 3.85lbs
Max Height 58.2” Folded Length 20.9”
One more vote for the RRS TFC-34 Mark II. Best tripod I ever used in terms of weight / height / stability ratio. I use it with my Phase One XT, my Arca-Swiss Rm3di and I previously used it with my Hassy X1D, never had a problem with stability even with high-speed winds, working immersed in the ocean, and so on.

I pair it with the Arca-Swiss P0 Classic, my all-time favourite head, it's genius in concept, extremely fast and easy to use, and it's small and ultralight but rock solid.

Best,

Vieri

ThdeDude

At an another getdpi thread someone mentioned the new FLM CP22-M2 II Tripod. (No personal experience, no association).

Also discussed at the largeformatphotography forum, https://tinyurl.com/2bmkw5ta

Looks like it's useful ultralight tripod.

Max height - 55.5",
Weight - 2.0 lbs.

FLM CP22.jpeg

Last edited:

Godfrey

Thanks for posting that about FLM. I always seem to forget about them ... What I've seen of their equipment, it looks terrific.

G

ThdeDude

Thanks for posting that about FLM. I always seem to forget about them ... What I've seen of their equipment, it looks terrific.
I feel that FLM is definitely underrated while RRS might be a bit overrated.

I just was informed by FLM that there is now a newer 2-section tripod, with some interesting design decisions: CP26-TM2, https://www.flmcanada.com/product/flm-cp26-tm2/

Placed an order right away.

DSC03292.jpeg

anyone

I feel that FLM is definitely underrated while RRS might be a bit overrated.

I just was informed by FLM that there is now a newer 2-section tripod, with some interesting design decisions: CP26-TM2, https://www.flmcanada.com/product/flm-cp26-tm2/
Please let us know how you like it! For now, I decided against a shorter version of the same tripod, but I would be very curious to hear your opinion after a real world test.

ThdeDude

Please let us know how you like it! For now, I decided against a shorter version of the same tripod, but I would be very curious to hear your opinion after a real world test.
Will do.

Not sure it fits well under this thread "Travel tripod for a tech cam", perhaps better in the getdpi thread "Medium Format Ultralight Hiking Kit" since it has a rather long folded length.

ThdeDude

You've had this one for a while. What do you think?
I returned it. Unwieldy, yet too short for me (being 6'4").

But FLM Canada is now working on a three-segment, no center column tripod.

I also suggested to investigate a tripod with an integrated leveling base with enough movement that a tripod head is not required.
Target spec: six feet maximum height, weight below four pounds.

Last edited: