The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Travel tripod for a tech cam

rdeloe

I returned it. Unwieldy, yet too short for me (being 6'4").

But FLM Canada is now working on a three-segment, no center column tripod.

I also suggested to investigate a tripod with an integrated leveling base with enough movement that a tripod head is not required.
Target spec: six feet maximum height, weight below four pounds.
That's a shame that it didn't work out. But I'm glad you were able to return it.

I've been using a Feisol CT-3441T for many years now, and it's been OK, but it's starting to wear out. The endless and frustrating hunt for the perfect replacement begins. ;)

ThdeDude

That's a shame that it didn't work out. But I'm glad you were able to return it. ... The endless and frustrating hunt for the perfect replacement begins. ;)
Not frustrating to me since I recognize that there is no THE "perfect" tripod for all situations and eventualities. My tripod needs can be placed into three broad categories, each with different requirements and different trade-offs (descending as to weight but also stability): Studio/Field, Travel/Hiking, and Backpacking/Mountaineering.

A few posting earlier "Makten" wrote, "I'd recommend a tripod that is tall enough without a center column, and with as few sections as possible. ... Maybe a nivelling [sic] is enough ...".

IMO, great suggestions as to a Backpacking/Mountaineering tripod. I would add an integrated leveling base with enough movements as not to require a tripod head for at least 80% of the expected images.

Ari

I returned it. Unwieldy, yet too short for me (being 6'4").

But FLM Canada is now working on a three-segment, no center column tripod.

I also suggested to investigate a tripod with an integrated leveling base with enough movement that a tripod head is not required.
Target spec: six feet maximum height, weight below four pounds.
We're working on two new tripods, both will be available by end of August, and both for under $500. I only have the preliminary specs, but final specs should be close.
The first is the CP30-M3 II which will be 64" tall, fold down to about 23", weighs 2.7 pounds
Second is the CP30-L3 II, 67.5" tall, folds down to 28", weighs 2.9 pounds.
Both are 3-section tripods with no center post.
I'll be adding these listings as I confirm the specs, you'll find them on this page in the next week or so: https://www.flmcanada.com/product-category/tripods/

We're also working new heads for this type of tripod, not ball heads but something simpler and more repeatable.
I'm sure the new design will surprise quite a few people when the new heads are announced later this fall.

Thank you

ThdeDude

The first is the CP30-M3 II which will be 64" tall, fold down to about 23", weighs 2.7 pounds
Second is the CP30-L3 II, 67.5" tall, folds down to 28", weighs 2.9 pounds.
Both are 3-section tripods with no center post.
Very interesting. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

ThdeDude

We're also working new heads for this type of tripod, not ball heads but something simpler and more repeatable.
I'm sure the new design will surprise quite a few people when the new heads are announced later this fall.
Sounds exciting!

rdeloe

I bought a CP30-L4 II (the 4 section version) from Ari in July. It's a superb piece of kit. Highly recommended if you need a really tall tripod with 4 sections. On flat ground I use it with one of the sections retracted, which puts it at the right height for me (5' 10"). Extending the 4th section puts the camera way over my head. This setup is ideal on steep slopes, where the 4th section of the downhill leg can be extended.

Maxx9photo

I have this RRS Ascend, not that I have technical camera yet but I do use it with 907x and many times with XCD 135 on it.

ThdeDude

I bought a CP30-L4 II (the 4 section version) from Ari in July. It's a superb piece of kit. Highly recommended if you need a really tall tripod with 4 sections.

I have the CP30-L4 II and I am also very happy with it. With an AR Monoball p0 I am at four pounds but yet have almost six feet of height (I am tall).

There is now also a three-section version: FLM CP30-L3 II. Since slightly shorter, slightly heavier, and I already have the CP30-L4 II, I could not make a good case for buying it.

But would be interesting to determine whether there is a noticeable difference in stability between the three-segment and four-segment FM CP30. The CP30-L3 II may be for many the perfect lightweight tripod. (No association or affiliation with FLM.)

ThdeDude

RRS Ascend
Very interesting and innovative design. But many users may have to use the center column for an eye-level height, and for me even with center column fully extended a bit too short (and then too shaky).

I hope that RRS will eventually also offer a LX version, perhaps without a center column and instead with an integrated tripod head.

Last edited:

Maxx9photo

Very interesting and innovative design. But many users may have to use the center column for an eye-level height, and for me even with center column fully extended a bit too short (and then too shaky).

I hope that RRS will eventually also offer a LX version, perhaps without a center column and instead with an integrated tripod head.
Yeah, that’s my light tripod set up. For everything else I use their TVC 33 MK1.

rdeloe

I have the CP30-L4 II and I am also very happy with it. With an AR Monoball p0 I am at four pounds but yet have almost six feet of height (I am tall).

There is now also a three-section version: FLM CP30-L3 II. Since slightly shorter, slightly heavier, and I already have the CP30-L4 II, I could not make a good case for buying it.

But would be interesting to determine whether there is a noticeable difference in stability between the three-segment and four-segment FM CP30. The CP30-L3 II may be for many the perfect lightweight tripod. (No association or affiliation with FLM.)
Over at The Center Column, the conclusion in terms of stability was that the 4 section is less stable than the three section, legs fully extended, but if you keep the last section of the 4 section tripod retracted, stability improves dramatically. https://thecentercolumn.com/flm-cp30-l4-ii-review/

I really have no complaints about the stability of my CP30-L4 II based on use to date, but I do mostly use it with one section fully or mostly collapsed.

ThdeDude

Over at The Center Column, the conclusion in terms of stability was that the 4 section is less stable than the three section, legs fully extended, but if you keep the last section of the 4 section tripod retracted, stability improves dramatically.
A difference in stability between a three-segment and a four-segment tripod is expected. But it is a whole another question whether the difference is noticeable from a practical point of view.

If a person only uses three out of the four leg segments, then the CP30-L4 II may not be the best choice, the CP30-S4 II might here be the better choice. No?

rdeloe

A difference in stability between a three-segment and a four-segment tripod is expected. But it is a whole another question whether the difference is noticeable from a practical point of view.

If a person only uses three out of the four leg segments, then the CP30-L4 II may not be the best choice, the CP30-S4 II might here be the better choice. No?
For me it's all about steep slopes and uneven ground. I like having extra leg length for situations where one leg has to be long and two short, or where I need the full height because the only place I can stand is a boulder or log elevated above the tripod position. I used to to that with the centre column of my Feisol, but those are dodgy under load.

I'm glad there are options out there for all kinds of situations and preferences.

ThdeDude

For me it's all about steep slopes and uneven ground. I like having extra leg length for situations where one leg has to be long and two short, or where I need the full height because the only place I can stand is a boulder or log elevated above the tripod position.

Yes, good point and I agree.

With my last postings I was thinking more in line with the "Medium Format Ultralight Hiking Kit" thread. I stand corrected.

I also have a seven-feet tripod just for the reasons you stated.

Last edited:

rdeloe

Yes, good point and I agree.

With my last postings I was thinking more in line with the "Medium Format Ultralight Hiking Kit" thread. I stand corrected.

I also have a seven-feet tripod just for the reasons you stated.
Ah, got you. I lost track of where I was! The tripod I'm talking about is definitely not "ultra-light". 3.2 lbs isn't very heavy, but there are much lighter options, including from FLM.

ThdeDude

The tripod I'm talking about is definitely not "ultra-light". 3.2 lbs isn't very heavy, but there are much lighter options, including from FLM.
Yes, there are but my experience has been that lighter options quickly get too flimsy and too short.

The thread title is "travel tripod for a tech cam" and the question asked "tripod solely for the purpose of travel (hiking) with ... Cambo WRS & IQ back".

My understanding is that the Cambo is generally tripod mounted and due to its weight does require a somewhat sturdy tripod.

Last edited:

JeffK

Connor MacLeod often said "there can be only one". We know that is not true when it comes to tripods