The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Trying out GFX...replacing Sony?

Ari

Currently using Sony gear and getting some GFX gear to see if I like it, maybe even replace the Sony.
Right now, I use an A7r for 830nm infrared, and an A7r2 for architecture. The A7r2 has an old TS-E 24mm and a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens.
Even if I love the Fuji enough to replace Sony, I'd still keep the infrared camera and a 24mm lens.
I almost never shoot portraits on the A7R2, not a fan of digital portraits.

So enter the GFX. I've seen some brilliant work done with it that really takes advantage of the camera's qualities and capabilities.
I'm going to try out a 50S body, 35-70 lens and the 80mm 1.7 lens.
I'll adapt the TS-E and I may shoot everything in 6x7 format (my favorite).

Does this sound like a viable way to attempt to replace the Sony gear? I'd only be missing the longer end of the Tamron zoom.
Thanks

Knorp

It's a good attempt for sure, although I don't see were the 80/1.7 fits in. A fine lens no doubt.
I'd say you're better served with the 100-200/5.6
And you can try your TSE with an EF-GFX adapter, albeit with some limitations.
Well, in the end only you can tell so let us know how you fare ... :)

Krgds.

Ari

Thanks, Knorp.
I'm not a long lens guy, preferring wides, and a slightly long normal for portrait.
The 80 seems attractive for its focal length and its large aperture.
Camera with 35-70 arrives tomorrow, EF-GFX adapter and 80mm arrive the following week, so I'll be a better judge of the kit in a few weeks' time.

Don Libby

I've been using a GFX body for several years while my wife stuck with her Sony a7riv. She has decided to make the switch to a GFX after finally trying mine while on a trip to Montana.

Ari

I can understand the camera lust. Good-looking camera with a big sensor. It reminds me of the Pentax 67II.
I just sold my A7R2, so I'm all in on the GFX now.

aksclix

If you’ve never used the Sony’s AF capabilities and high speed tracking/shooting then by all means the switch to gfx is a no-brainer.. just need bigger bags to lug around though

Ari

So far, I've kept both systems. You're right, I don't need or use AF tracking, and don't care in general how fast an AF system works, as long as it's accurate.
The GFX is a bit bigger, but I have room to spare in the Tenba Axis 20L bag. I keep three lenses in there.
The Sony is used for general stuff, and the TS-E 24mm is shared by both systems. I also have an infrared A7r body with a Tamron 17-28.

Last edited:

aksclix

@Ari When I moved from Nikon D810,D4s and Pentax 645z to mirrorless.. I got the Sony a73 and the gfx 50r.. 50r had the same sensor as 645z in a much smaller body.. there were crazy lens options in the gf line up compared to P645.. I lost a lot of money in the bargain but the gf lenses were far cheaper than the 28-45 Pentax and 90mm and the rare but not so great 25mm.. I couldn’t be more happier with the move.. 50r was just too good! Now I have replaced them with Sony a1 and gfx 100s.. the 50r is now available at an incredible bargain! I sold it at the most perfect time!! Love the gfx system! Cropping has never been such a non-issue! 😀

Ari

Agreed, the GFX is a versatile camera. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure the 35mm setting will come in handy those times I need the TS-E to work optimally.
I shoot in 7:6 or 5:4 the rest of the time, so the camera does many different things, so far so good.
Good to know about the Pentax, it was a contender for a while, I too am glad I went with the Fuji.