The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Updated Panasonic Lens Roadmap

iiiNelson

Right now I solve the AF issue by just having a Nikon too. For weddings you still really can't beat a Nikon AF system. Even the Sony A9 series doesn't have IR AF for dark receptions. Until that changes, wedding peeps like me will probably have a mirrorless and a DSLR, or no mirrorless at all.

Personally I am just loving my S1R, and I look forward to the future of the system.
Never had issues nailing focus during weddings with my Sony cameras personally. I think a lot comes from knowing the camera. I’ve used Canon 1D’s in the past and the A9 was/is absolutely the best focusing camera I’ve ever used hands down.

I don’t expect every autofocus system to be perfect all the time but I do expect reasonable speed and accuracy.

Never had issues nailing focus during weddings with my Sony cameras personally. I think a lot comes from knowing the camera. I’ve used Canon 1D’s in the past and the A9 was/is absolutely the best focusing camera I’ve ever used hands down.

I don’t expect every autofocus system to be perfect all the time but I do expect reasonable speed and accuracy.
It's better than IR-AF from a strobe in a no-light situation?

iiiNelson

It's better than IR-AF from a strobe in a no-light situation?
Lowlight or no light?

I’ve used the Sony’s in lowlight situations on a regular basis with both strobes and speedlights. Never really experienced an issue personally. YMMV... I won’t dispute you if you’ve had a completely different experience than myself. It’s not invalid but I haven’t experienced any major issues acquiring focus from Sony cameras myself.

I’m not experienced in shooting weddings with Nikon which is why I only mentioned Canon’s AF in the comparison to Sony. They work differently but the keeper rate on the Sony cameras is extremely high in my experience. I can’t quantify it comparatively but I will say that the shots I usually trash are due to composition rather than focus if that matters. I am familiar with shooting weddings with Sony, Leica, and Canon. I was able to get results that clients were more than happy with - and ultimately that’s the most important part.

...but back to L-Mount cameras. I like this section and wish it were more active. I’ll have to post more when I get the time and chance to do so.

bensonga

Back to the lens roadmap topic....

I recently picked up a Sigma 70/2.8 ART macro in the L-mount. I have this lens for my Sigma SDQ and have been very happy with the IQ.

What I’m really looking forward to now is a fast prime in the 85-100mm range. F1.8 would be fine with me, so I hope Panasonic’s 85/1.8 lens comes out in 2020.

Gary

iiiNelson

Back to the lens roadmap topic....

I recently picked up a Sigma 70/2.8 ART macro in the L-mount. I have this lens for my Sigma SDQ and have been very happy with the IQ.

What I’m really looking forward to now is a fast prime in the 85-100mm range. F1.8 would be fine with me, so I hope Panasonic’s 85/1.8 lens comes out in 2020.

Gary
Me too and I’m hoping that it is a 100mm and not an 85mm personally. No one except Sony has made a great 100mm prime (non-macro) since Contax.