The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using an IQ4? What's your system?

vjbelle

After numerous hours of watching YouTube videos I cancelled my first Studio Ultra which was loaded with 128gb of ram and 2TB SSD and ordered the base Ultra model which was recommended by many reviewers. I highly recommend that everyone interested in purchasing a Studio spend some time watching some videos.

I expect to receive it by the 15th of this month.....

Victor B.

Last edited:

JeffK

After numerous hours of watching YouTube videos I cancelled my first Studio Ultra which was loaded with 128gb of ram and 2TB SSD and ordered the base Ultra model which was recommended by many reviewers. I highly recommend that everyone interested in purchasing a Studio spend some time watching some videos.

I expect to receive it by the 15th of this month.....

Victor B.
thanks Victor. No one is making a mistake buying the base model with 32gb ram/512gb. In 95% of cases that's probably more than enough. But hey 64gb is an ego stroker!!!!!

tcdeveau

I'm running a 2019 macbook pro, one of the last of the intel i9 laptop lines I think......it gets really hot and battery life is garbage when trying to edit photos from any system. I've been a pretty dedicated mac user the last 15+ years or so and it's the first apple product I've ever bought I've been disappointed in.

Definitely watching this thread as I'm looking to upgrade at some point, but can't decide between the mac studio or another laptop.

Ray Harrison

I'm running a 2019 macbook pro, one of the last of the intel i9 laptop lines I think......it gets really hot and battery life is garbage when trying to edit photos from any system. I've been a pretty dedicated mac user the last 15+ years or so and it's the first apple product I've ever bought I've been disappointed in.

Definitely watching this thread as I'm looking to upgrade at some point, but can't decide between the mac studio or another laptop.
I had that same MBP and was equally disappointed. I’ve got a maxed Max and couldn’t be happier. Quiet, cool, extremely fast and responsive on a variety of file sizes (but mostly 100/151 MP). A very different experience in a good way. I personally have the laptop because that was what was available then but may go for the studio when (if?) supply chains loosen up as I don’t carry this MBP around very much.

stngoldberg

I also watched the YouTube videos, but none of them were stacking 150 mpx captures in capture one and then putting those tiff’s into Helicon focus and then saving a plus 2.2GP TIFF IN PHOTOSHOP
the Mac Studio ultra hopefully contains the computing power I need to create my art in a timely fashion. Unfortunately I won’t know for 60 days
stanley

Ray Harrison

I also watched the YouTube videos, but none of them were stacking 150 mpx captures in capture one and then putting those tiff’s into Helicon focus and then saving a plus 2.2GP TIFF IN PHOTOSHOP
the Mac Studio ultra hopefully contains the computing power I need to create my art in a timely fashion. Unfortunately I won’t know for 60 days
stanley
I don't have an ultra but do have a maxed Max. Would it be helpful to run some experiments for you or do you want them done on an ultra specifically? Happy to help over the next few days if you wish.

vjbelle

thanks Victor. No one is making a mistake buying the base model with 32gb ram/512gb. In 95% of cases that's probably more than enough. But hey 64gb is an ego stroker!!!!!
Actually the base model of the 'Ultra' is 64gb of ram and 1tb ssd. Will see if I actually receive it by the date that Apple has indicated.

Cheers.....

Victor B.

vjbelle

stanley
You may want to look at Diglloyd 'Mac performance guide' which is free. He did a lot of testing with Zerene.

Victor B.

anwarp

A quick question for the Apple studio users: Does anybody use one with an 8k monitor?
My Dell 8k requires 2 DisplayPort connections to drive the panel at 48Hz 10 bit colour. Just wondering…

Edit: A quick google shows a post on Mac rumours that it sort of works, but not really. Timing issues between the 2 sections of the panel.

Last edited:

vjbelle

Thanks Jeff for the post. They had a configuration which was exactly what I wanted - Ultra with 2TB SSD. I save close to $500.00 and......I'll have it tomorrow.....

Victor B.

Greg Haag

Keep an eye on the refurbished, one in your configuration may come up sooner than that.

Thanks for the tip Jeff, they had an Ultra that was similar to what I was going to order and it will be here tomorrow!

I don't think the Ultra processor is necessary for still files. I did an informal test regenerating previews of 1500 IQ4150 Achromatic images vs exporting 2tb of Freefly Wave files at 420fps. C1 definitely does not use all the computing power available to it. Maybe this changes in the future, I don't know. Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 5.52.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-07-06 at 5.46.53 PM.pngSee attached screen shots.

I can't believe that they are refurbished now. Kinda makes you wonder on build quality. I had to wait two and half months for mine

JeffK

new max mac, internal drive, very fast. base MX Studio 32/512. received today. That only took 4 days. Ordered Monday night, arrived Friday morning.

also building a 2tb diy nvm external in a 40gbsec enclosure.

Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 3.45.08 PM.png

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Super happy with my 16in MBP 10 core Max, 64GB Ram and 2TB SSD. It absolutely screams at any load and has basically obsoleted all of my “desktop” machines. That said my M1 Mini and M1 MBA are also a great improvements over all of my Intel Macs and for travel the M1 MBA is a great performer using external portable SSDs vs loading up the base model.

Photon42

I can't believe that they are refurbished now. Kinda makes you wonder on build quality. I had to wait two and half months for mine
Refurb does not mean kaputt. There are certainly some out there who are sending their Macs back for non product related reasons. They may even just found out after purchase they cannot afford them ...