The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using non-Leica L-mount AF lenses on a Leica SL/SL2

bensonga

I have a few Panasonic and Sigma L-mount AF lenses to use with my Pana S1 and S1r.

I recently bought a used Leica SL. It has firmware 3.7 installed. When I mounted my Panasonic 50/1.4 Pro S lens on the SL it appears that only the Aperture Priority and Manual exposure modes are available. Does anyone know if this is the case for all non-Leica AF L-mount lenses on a SL? Perhaps I don’t have a custom setting correctly set on the SL. I was hoping/expecting that most of the main camera functions would be available on L-mount cameras from Leica, Panasonic and Sigma when their respective L-mount lenses are mounted on the various L-mount cameras available to us.

Gary

iiiNelson

I have a few Panasonic and Sigma L-mount AF lenses to use with my Pana S1 and S1r.

I recently bought a used Leica SL. It has firmware 3.7 installed. When I mounted my Panasonic 50/1.4 Pro S lens on the SL it appears that only the Aperture Priority and Manual exposure modes are available. Does anyone know if this is the case for all non-Leica AF L-mount lenses on a SL? Perhaps I don’t have a custom setting correctly set on the SL. I was hoping/expecting that most of the main camera functions would be available on L-mount cameras from Leica, Panasonic and Sigma when their respective L-mount lenses are mounted on the various L-mount cameras available to us.

Gary
Is that the newest firmware? I believe there was updated firmware released after the other memebers of the L-Mount shipped their products.

iiiNelson

Yes, I think 3.7 is the latest update from February 2020.

Gary
That’s weird. I hadn’t heard of any issues with the SL and L-Mount lenses since early on. I believe there was an update to the lens mount standard that mostly centered around adding protocols to deal with IBIS and the newer lens offerings from partner companies. Is there a way to check the lens firmware too on the SL? There may be a an update for the lens as well.

You may have a bit of better luck on LUF in the “other L-Mount camera section” as many people are using the newer lenses on Leica bodies.

bensonga

I received the Sigma 45mm f2.8 DG DN L-mount lens today (very nice build quality and compact size), mounted it on my SL and just as with the Panasonic 50mm f1.4 S Pro lens, the only camera exposure modes which are available are A and M, Aperture Priority and Manual.

I'll see if I can check the lens firmware and update it as needed. Thanks for that suggestion!

Surprisingly, when I mount my Leica R lenses with the Novoflex adapter attached onto the SL, all exposure modes are available (A, M, S and P). I would have expected only A & M modes to be available with the Leica R lenses and "dumb" Novoflex adapter attached.

Gary

iiiNelson

I received the Sigma 45mm f2.8 DG DN L-mount lens today (very nice build quality and compact size), mounted it on my SL and just as with the Panasonic 50mm f1.4 S Pro lens, the only camera exposure modes which are available are A and M, Aperture Priority and Manual.

I'll see if I can check the lens firmware and update it as needed. Thanks for that suggestion!

Surprisingly, when I mount my Leica R lenses with the Novoflex adapter attached onto the SL, all exposure modes are available (A, M, S and P). I would have expected only A & M modes to be available with the Leica R lenses and "dumb" Novoflex adapter attached.

Gary
That’s really weird. I only have the S1R and a Panasonic lens (24-105) for now. Still trying to figure out what I want next but I’m leaning towards the Lumix S Pro 50/1.4 and maybe the 35 APO-Cron if they ever come in stock.